Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-12-2012, 11:11 AM

Default Black Bear hunt

so im going hunting for Black bear for my first time withmy uncle (he has not done it either) im a little worried about skinning the bear properly. i've been watching youtube and other resources to try and learn but kinda hard when you cant use what you have learned for practice. just wondering if you guys have any advice on how we can proceed and still hunt a black bear and not wreck any of the skin.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:20 AM

There's some great threads on here about that, do a quick search. Be sure to bring lots of salt for after skinning and remember to skin to the butt hole not the stomach like on ungulates. And always follow the edge of the leg bone not the middle
Old 09-12-2012, 11:30 AM

thank you ill try and search that for sure
Old 09-12-2012, 12:01 PM

I wouldn't worry about bringing salt. Unless you don't have a freezer to put the hide in after you skin. Just got my first bear this spring. Gutted it in the field drove him home and skinned it there. Threw it in the freezer and was at the taxi the next couple of days.
Old 09-12-2012, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogie135 View Post
I wouldn't worry about bringing salt. Unless you don't have a freezer to put the hide in after you skin. Just got my first bear this spring. Gutted it in the field drove him home and skinned it there. Threw it in the freezer and was at the taxi the next couple of days.
well thats good to know. not sure if i would have access to a freezer. its a 4 day hunt with a group of three. i may still have to salt it if its day 1 or 2. but still good to know, that part seems like a pain in the ass
Old 09-12-2012, 01:31 PM

Skinned out bear sure looks like a human. It creeps some hunters out.... kindof gives me the willies.

Be prepared for a greasefest!

And save/render some of the grease fat. Its awsome boot rub! I'll even beg some off ya if you have some!
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 09-12-2012, 02:12 PM

skinned my first bear last year. Took me me at least 4 hours probably more without doing the head and paws. The hide is really tough you won't cut it easily even with a sharp knife. Bring the head and paws and the tanner will do it for you thats the only percise part imop. good luck. Have pics of the bear up on here on another thread I started have a look if you want. The rug is in front of my fireplace now in the living room. Dog loves it!
Old 09-12-2012, 03:11 PM

check the hunting regs it used to show you the cut lines its not that hard with a helper it should only take you an hr,good luck.
Old 09-12-2012, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straightgun View Post
skinned my first bear last year. Took me me at least 4 hours probably more without doing the head and paws. The hide is really tough you won't cut it easily even with a sharp knife. Bring the head and paws and the tanner will do it for you thats the only percise part imop. good luck. Have pics of the bear up on here on another thread I started have a look if you want. The rug is in front of my fireplace now in the living room. Dog loves it!
I will agree with the leaving the head and paws in tact as long as you don't have to wait a great deal to get it into a freezer as these parts take a little more care. It is not hard to figure out the lay out, you will be fine on the skinning part. Also, don't wait a too long to yank the robe off your kritter as they can tend to go green around the belly area soon.and you could get some hair slippage if you get warm weather. Good luck!