Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-07-2023, 08:44 PM

Default Calgary to Whitefish

Its been a while since i have made this drive, but what route does a person recommend? Thinking of Hwy 2 to Fort McLeod then west to Eureka and south to Whitefish. I have taken the cutoff at Nanton before and its good till you hook up with Hwy 22 and then you run into a lot of slow trailers and passing becomes a problem. This was the case the last time I took it, and I would imagine it hasn't improved over the years. any suggestions?
Old 06-07-2023, 09:15 PM

We always do highway 22. Okotoks to hwy3. Much faster than hwy 2. Traffic is seldom a problem.
Old 06-07-2023, 09:42 PM

We just drove it last week, we usually go south up to nanton then head west to highway 22 up through the crows nest pass Fernie and cross at Roosville.
Highway 22 is my favourite highway , it is super pretty.

If you go to whitefish or across the border be prepared to pay a lot, with the exchange rate it really sucks and everything is expensive e Elton beer and cheese.

We stopped in at Costco in Kalispel we just picked up a box of Coors banquet beer for $28.00, wife picked up a box of wine for 13.00 and Tillamook cheese a 4 pound block for $10.00 so we brought 4 back.

At the border on the way back just be honest with them and they will let you go.
Old 06-07-2023, 10:27 PM

Fastest- Calgary south to 540 then west to 22 turn south to hwy 3 then south on 93 to eureka on to Whitefish.
540 is shorter and flatter than than 533 west of Nanton.
Old 06-07-2023, 10:30 PM

go west of Nanton to 22. beautiful drive and shorter.
been doing this drive several times a year for last 6 years, only way we go.
Whitefish is still a great place but yes everything has gone up in price. Beer gas and cheese are still cheaper than here though.
best restaurant i have been to in many years is in Whitefish, Ciao Mambo. it is our favorite.
Its worth waiting in line as they do not take resos unless that has changed.
Old 06-07-2023, 10:32 PM

yes 540 is an option too. We usually go through Nanton as either the kids need to stop for a pee break or the wife needs a Tims coffee...
Old 06-08-2023, 09:16 AM

There are lots of option to progress from Hwy 2 to Hwy 22 (Hwy 7, 543, Coal Trail, 540, 533.

I do it all the time...my preferences are Hwy 7, 543 and 533. I don't do 533 in the winter because weather conditions make that route the least desirable.

Don't do the Claresholm to Hw 22 route (520) unless you want to gravel the whole 36 km.
Old 06-08-2023, 09:37 AM
Banned

Take the most scenic route. Enjoy the trip. Everyone is in too much of a hurry.
Old 06-08-2023, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannie View Post
Fastest- Calgary south to 540 then west to 22 turn south to hwy 3 then south on 93 to eureka on to Whitefish.
540 is shorter and flatter than than 533 west of Nanton.
Agreed! Takes you right out to the Bar U on 22 and then south. I haul a 40 foot toyhauler and when I fish the crow, head up the the Liv, or head south into Montana this is the route for me!
Travel safe. Love Whitefish and Kalispel.
Old 06-13-2023, 07:26 AM

Depends on the vehicle.

I'm planning a one day rip on the motorbike, Hwy 22 south to Pincher Creek, South to Waterton, South to Chief Mtn Border crossing, into Montana to Babb, South to Browning, West to East Glacier, West to Columbia Falls, North to Whitefish, North to Eureka, crossover again at Roosville, Fernie, CNP, Hwy 22 back to YYC. Should be one LONG day but doable? If not and I have to sleep somewhere....

Very scenic trip with lots of twisties - by far best trip on a bike (can't go over Road to the Sun without a reservation and they are booked into September now. RTTSun is the best of all of this)

But this kind of trip can be done on a momo bike because of how many passes you can do in a very limited amount of space.

J.
Old 06-13-2023, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewerrat View Post

At the border on the way back just be honest with them and they will let you go.
This last line made me chuckle - I am always so amazed at stories people tell about how they were treated at the border after they were playing hide n go seek with Customs over nothing.

The amount of food/booze/cigs/etc... you are allowed to bring back is usually far more than most people want to bring back anyways ..... no need at all to lie to customs and get red flagged in the computer for the rest of your life over your ignorance to "what happens if you are over the limit" on one thing or another ....

Most people are unaware that 90% of the time if you are over on one thing or another they just tell you that you are over the limit, thank you for being honest and send you on your way without paying extra duties. Just don't get greedy with your overages. An extra bottle here, or extra $200 over your trip limit for some golf clubs or something you bought are pretty much are ignored by most decent customs people. It's not worth the ten or twenty bucks they might collect from you in these cases. I just find it funny how shocked they are when you are honest with them and hand them a receipt .... it's like it's a test for them or something ....

Only once that I remember the guy sent me over with a slip and I paid another $60 or something .... not even a big deal.

But yeah - no reason EVER to lie to customs coming or going - just doesn't make sense (unless you are smuggling drugs I guess )