Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 05-02-2015, 12:10 PM

Default Investing in a pontoon

Hi, new poster but avid follower :-)

I am tired of trying to fish from the shoreline, lake or river, and decided it is time to invest in a pontoon. Looking for some general advice... would you recommend fishing the NSR on a pontoon? I like the idea of maybe getting in at around Devon and floating down and seeing if I can hook a pike or walleye - would you consider doing it a productive trip?

Also, how old would you say is a good age to start fishing from your own pontoon? I have 2 young boys (9 & 7) and wondering if I should get a couple of them… Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Old 05-02-2015, 01:43 PM

I had my kids on their own pontoon at that age and as for thecnsr im not sure i havent drifted in it yet
Old 05-02-2015, 01:45 PM

you can get pontoons with a lean bar so you can stand up drift them, that'd be pretty nice for floating rivers.

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 05-02-2015, 02:48 PM

That seems about the right age. As far as drifting the NSR, ive done this a lot in my pontoon. Next best thing if your not in a position to get yourself a boat. Only issue is, as was stated is really nice to stand while drifting. I put a floor on mine and a 12" riser for my set. Works amazing for fly fishing and drifting with a trolling motor. (cant paddle with this idea)
Old 05-02-2015, 07:31 PM

Thanks for the responses. I like the idea of being able to stand. Think I will try to get my hands on a gently used 2man pontoon. Should be a lot of fun with the kids and trying to land some pike on a fly.. thanks!

Tags
fly fishing, nsr, pontoon