Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-20-2011, 04:06 PM

Default Welcome to the real world..

Wrote my last Diploma exam this morning.. I am now done High School... Time to enter the real world..
Sittin' here waitin' on a deer, drinkin' beer and wastin' bullets, Aimin' at the empties, missin' hittin' pine trees, It ain't my fault them cans keep movin', My baby's on the phone sayin' baby come home, Where you been and What you've been doin', We'll I've been, sittin' here, waitin' on a deer
Drinkin' beer and wastin' bullets
Old 01-20-2011, 04:09 PM

You might not miss it now, but you will. Best times of your life, things will never be the same. Friends will grow apart and move away. Congrats on making it. Let the stress of real life begin. Good luck.
Old 01-20-2011, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkaholic6 View Post
Wrote my last Diploma exam this morning.. I am now done High School... Time to enter the real world..
Get your behind into a trade.
Get more education

Life is over as you know it. Now you get to be a man.
Old 01-20-2011, 04:14 PM
sheephunter

Ease into it...it's not all it's cracked up to be...lol
Old 01-20-2011, 04:25 PM

Congrats E6! Good luck with whatever you choose to pursue.........unless it's the wild and wacky world of arboriculture. Then I'd say give yer head a shake!
Old 01-20-2011, 05:00 PM

Try and chase your dream job first, there is plenty of time to work for the man later. Enjoy your new phase in life.
Old 01-20-2011, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redranger15 View Post
Best times of your life, .
That's a very sad thought. I feel bad for people who look back and think that.

Elk, congrats... you got through an important milestone. Good for you. But you know what? It's ALL real life. School is real life, work is real life, retirement is real life, and everything in between. What's the quote? "Life is not a dress rehearsal"
Old 01-20-2011, 05:18 PM

Congrats. Take a break and see part of the world. Never be easier than now.

Grizz
Old 01-20-2011, 05:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by redranger15 View Post
You might not miss it now, but you will. Best times of your life, things will never be the same. Friends will grow apart and move away. Congrats on making it. Let the stress of real life begin. Good luck.
I agree at 30 years old, mortgage,wife, car payments etc if I could go back anywhere it would be back to high school in a second
Old 01-20-2011, 05:31 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoast View Post
I agree at 30 years old, mortgage,wife, car payments etc if I could go back anywhere it would be back to high school in a second
Only if I knew what I know now....
Old 01-20-2011, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
Yeah... you might get some action LOL (hey, me too )
Old 01-20-2011, 05:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
maybe maybe not,the old saying is true, the youth is wasted on the young.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post

Elk, congrats... you got through an important milestone. Good for you. But you know what? It's ALL real life. School is real life, work is real life, retirement is real life, and everything in between. What's the quote? "Life is not a dress rehearsal"
All a guy needed was some beer money, find out were the party was and look for some tail. Life was easy, looking back. Don't feel bad for the way I think, Life is still pretty good but differnt good.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:58 PM

Yeah I dunno what to do for work haha... Gonna have to do some researching. Good thing the girlfriend isn't an expensive one... Yet.
Sittin' here waitin' on a deer, drinkin' beer and wastin' bullets, Aimin' at the empties, missin' hittin' pine trees, It ain't my fault them cans keep movin', My baby's on the phone sayin' baby come home, Where you been and What you've been doin', We'll I've been, sittin' here, waitin' on a deer
Old 01-20-2011, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Did you pass? lol

In a couple of years ill be in the same boat as you!

Congrats on making it!
Old 01-20-2011, 10:56 PM

Dont get in to the welding trade thinking when you come out it will be building choppers like on tv, or monster garage, not a big demand for that round here lol thats what i did, havent burnt a rod in 4 years now. Got a nice student loan payment to show for it tho
Old 01-21-2011, 12:24 AM

It's a wonderful feeling being "done", or so it seems at the time. As you have already grasped, it's time to enter what you think is the "real world".

Do what you want to do!

Make a point to be great at it, as you will be proud of what you are doing and will inspire others to behave in the same way. There are folks out there who will recognize your desire to be great at whatever it is that you do, and see a part of themselves in you.

If these folks are experienced and show the same pride at the same game you choose, show respect and listen to them.

You will be able to tell who they are. They want to help you get better, and suggest choices that make sense of common sense. It's a fantastic camaraderie that will definitely keep you thinking, and in the right direction

Good luck dude! Stay engaged in our outdoor world!
Old 01-21-2011, 07:12 AM

In the words of the immortal Dennis Leary, Life's a Bitch, GET A HELMET
Old 01-21-2011, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter10 View Post
Did you pass? lol

In a couple of years ill be in the same boat as you!

Congrats on making it!
I passed my English, Social should be the same.

Yeah about the welding.. I was doing it as work experience this semester, and pretty much as a class since Grade 9.. I'm good at it.. But it does get frustrating. If I was going to go into welding I'd wanna work in a shop the whole time.. None of this -40 BS haha.

ATCO linemen kinda interested me.. I love messing around with sleds and quads.. Vehicles not so much. I do like fabbing stuff outta metal.. But for secondary education I'll have to upgrade. I love running machinery tho haha.
Old 01-21-2011, 10:34 AM

Enjoy it and like someone said, "ease into it". I KNOW 40 seems old to you now......but I'm telling ya.....time does fly!!!!

tm
Old 01-21-2011, 10:37 AM
sheephunter

Quote:

Yeah about the welding.. I was doing it as work experience this semester, and pretty much as a class since Grade 9.. I'm good at it.. But it does get frustrating. If I was going to go into welding I'd wanna work in a shop the whole time.. None of this -40 BS haha.

ATCO linemen kinda interested me.. I love messing around with sleds and quads.. Vehicles not so much. I do like fabbing stuff outta metal.. But for secondary education I'll have to upgrade. I love running machinery tho haha.
No need to make any life decisions now. Experience some life first!
Old 01-21-2011, 10:45 AM

Best of luck, E6. Best advice I can give is ease into it and don't stress. Find something that you like to do work hard at it. If you can, further your education with trade school, college, or university. We are now in the age of life long learning. High school was just one step of that journey.
Old 01-21-2011, 10:57 AM

Quote:

if ya dont wanna be out welding in the -40 temps then you wont wanna be out welding in the +30 temps either lol.

got a few buddies who are welders and lets just say welding jobs where your in a shop all the time are not that easy to come by lol
Old 01-31-2011, 11:45 PM

Thinking about going to school for welding in the next year or two. How easy is it to find work? Will probably have to look outta good ol High Prairie to find a welding apprentice.
Old 01-31-2011, 11:52 PM

Good job, bud!
Old 02-01-2011, 01:01 AM
Banned

Quote:
Thinking about going to school for welding in the next year or two. How easy is it to find work? Will probably have to look outta good ol High Prairie to find a welding apprentice.
Four years ago the young fella across the street went through Manpower and took his pipefitter apprenticeship for free. After a bit the union recruits you and sends you to different jobs to get experience. You go back to school every year for 3 years to upgrade. He's now licensed and makes real good money from what I hear and his training didn't cost a cent! It is always nice to get a trade/training and finish it debt free!
Old 02-01-2011, 01:03 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
x2 The best years of my life are right now at 52 years old!
Old 02-01-2011, 09:41 AM

Congrats E. I was in your same boat this time last year. You might have seen a thread I posted a couple weeks back about looking for a career. It is a confusing thing that doesn't need to be rushed. Through school I wanted to be a zoologist, then welder, then plant operator, then Fish Cop, then Peace Officer, but finally applied to college yesterday to become an EMT. Take your time choosing.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone_Wolf View Post
Congrats E. I was in your same boat this time last year. You might have seen a thread I posted a couple weeks back about looking for a career. It is a confusing thing that doesn't need to be rushed. Through school I wanted to be a zoologist, then welder, then plant operator, then Fish Cop, then Peace Officer, but finally applied to college yesterday to become an EMT. Take your time choosing.
Great another unemployed EMT.
Hun if you want to do it on a volunteer basis go for it, but as a living you will not be happy.
Old 02-01-2011, 10:44 AM

How to go E6. like the others have said, school is great and all, but all of life can be fun and fullfilling, it is what you make it. Have some fun, ditch the GF, go out and live a little, no need for a hand break at your age. I went to college came out and never once did I do what I paid school to do, ended up as a carpenter, and have loved it my whole life. Things are changing now, but I am alomst 40. You should have 5 GF's in the clip right now. That is one thing you can only have when young, lots and lots of girls, as you get older people frown on you having more than one GF, especially your wife and kids!!