Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 10-23-2007, 02:26 PM

Default Any Fall Whitefish being caught???

Used to be the trestle at Wabamum woud be great this time of year. Other lakes hold whites, and they should be just as vulnerable. Is anyone even trying for Whites? Are you having any success?

Love to hear your thoughts.

Drewski
Old 10-23-2007, 03:24 PM

Thumbs up Sylvan Lake Whites

Went to Sylvan today as the weather forecast was to be 20 C today. Well needless to say it didnt make that i am still typing with a chill in my bones!!! We did however get around the 40 mark for whites to the boat. Had lots of action once the wind picked up to bounce our Lures around. Just to bad the Sun didnt come out with it.

Mudder
Old 10-23-2007, 05:56 PM

I have never fished for lake Whitefish. What type of set up do you guys use when your out in a boat? I appreciate any responses from anyone.

Dodger.
Old 10-23-2007, 10:50 PM
jrs

Hey Dodger,

Go to a lake or reservoir such as Travers/Jensen/Chin/Keho etc almost anywhere you've seen them rising before, fish a slip bobber with a smallish wireworm (size 10-12 fly hook, couple feet of 4-6lb "tippet" will increase catch) anywhere from 3 feet down to 15 feet down, tip with a maggot if you'd like. (I have the most luck fishing them in 8-12 feet of water with this method). I've pulled a limit from Travers in 45 minutes before with this method, actually from shore though, they cruise the shoreline in massive schools. I'd cast then slowly retrieve with jigging motion (reel once, let sit 30 seconds, reel, sit, etc)

Good luck, definetly a fish still under utilized. Keep a limit with a clean conscience out of any of the lakes i mentioned, tens of thousands of them down their.

jrs
Old 10-26-2007, 04:27 AM

Thanks JRS, I appreciate the info.

Dodger.
Old 10-26-2007, 09:56 AM

JRS i might have to give that a try this weekend at mcgregor. See lots fishing the north dam probly wat they're after
Old 10-29-2007, 08:40 PM
jrs

Did you guys manage some whites? If so how big? Last time i fished traverse for them they averaged about 2lbs and maxed out at about 4.5lbs. Great fighters on light gear for sure. I know some guys have taken some nice ones from Mcgregor. I was hoping to land a few on the fly this summer but time was too tight.

jrs