Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 10-21-2007, 08:35 AM

Default Tagging walleye?

In a thread on the hunting forum something was mentioned about tagging a walleye that was being taken home. Tagging a fish? I hardly find the time for fishing these days, but I guess I'd better take another good read of those regulations before I go out. Tagging walleye.... that's a first for me.

Frans
Old 10-21-2007, 08:41 AM

it only applies to the body of waters that have a bag limit of 0 unless you have a special (cash cow, money to gov) licence, this is a draw
Old 10-22-2007, 08:45 AM

And, it only applied to 3 lakes in AB (Pigeon, Newell, Wolf) for the last two years as a pilot project. My understanding is that pilot project is over now. I imagine research and collection of data will be next before a consideration of a permanent tagging system.....but you never know
Old 10-22-2007, 01:07 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramps73 View Post
it only applies to the body of waters that have a bag limit of 0 unless you have a special (cash cow, money to gov) licence, this is a draw

"cash cow" I don't think so. The $10.00 just pays for the paper tag and wires and the draw system. Do you really think the Alberta gov't is sceaming and making money off a thousand plus walleye tags at $10.00 a pop?

First there was NO harvest of walleye at these lakes and then for $10 bucks a guy could kill one or two big ones. Sounds like a good deal to me.

Robin in Rocky
Old 10-22-2007, 01:16 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
First there was NO harvest of walleye at these lakes and then for $10 bucks a guy could kill one or two big ones. Sounds like a good deal to me.
Actually, I was allowed to retain three walleye. I had the medium sized tags. Two larger fish were permitted if you drew those tags.
Old 10-28-2007, 03:10 PM

It will be a cash cow when they start doing it at all lakes.
Like the moose draw.
Old 11-09-2007, 05:37 PM

Default tagging walleye

Sorry to say but the gov't was just trying to see how many of us would be willing to pay extra just to keep a fish out of lakes that are plumbfull. Only a matter of time before every walleye in every lake is on draw; just like our big game. Seems to me there are plenty of big game zones that are consistantly undersubscribed yet remain on draw. Cash cow is exactly correct. Those that played should be ashamed when all our lakes are on draw.
Watch and see.
Old 11-09-2007, 05:47 PM
sheephunter

Hardly a cash cow...by the time ISM, the vendor and the ACA get their share...there isn't much left for the government. It was just a pilot management project and one of the unfortunate things about our draw/licence system is that several groups get a pound of flesh before the government sees any money. I'll guarantee money wasn't the motivation behind it!
Old 11-09-2007, 05:56 PM

This gov't knows very little about management otherwise we would follow other provinces with slot sizes. Instead they have us keep mature spawning age fish. Hmmmm. I'd be interested to see the actual break down on who gets what. More draws more lakes , maybe not this year but it's coming.
Wait and see.
Old 11-09-2007, 06:04 PM
sheephunter

You should give your area biologist a call and discuss the tag system with him. There is a lot of science and study behind it. They could also help explain some of the additional management challenges we are faced with here in regards to the high number of anglers and very low number of water bodies with walleye. While they may not have all the answers, it is interesting to hear what they have to say. The tag system is just a pilot project as well and I'm guessing you'll see modifications to it before it expands and if it does expand, the suitable water bodies are pretty limited. Just a thought anyhow...sometimes a litlle knowledge puts an end to a lot of speculation. If it was as simple as a slot limit I'm sure someone would have thought of that by now. It's a very complicated management issue with many factors to consider.
Old 11-09-2007, 07:02 PM

Sorry Sheephunter didnt mean to sound like slot sizes were the answer to this issue, just that Gov't of Alberta doesnt always seem to do what is right for management. Just take a look at the way some other provinces protect spawning age walleye. I have spent many years dealing Fish and Wildlife on hunting and fishing issues. Area biologists often find their hands tied or are moved in directions not of their choice. I also know several people who work for the ACA these fellows genuinely seem to care. They do good work and their findings are acurate to their abilities. Although often their opinions are disregarded. I live in southern Alberta so forgive me if I'm wrong but I believe several wmu's in the north have a 100% draw success rate and even are undersubscribed, but still remain on draw. I can't see any reason other than cash. Many lakes in this prov. have a 3 fish limit when in my opinion 1 fish is sufficient. Put in place lower limits and maybe even slots to protect the spawning fish. But protect the opportunity for all sportsman not just the one's that can afford a draw licence for every lake in the province. If no one had applied for the walleye tags this study would be over.
However only time will tell now if our fishing will become draw on more fish and more lakes.
Old 11-09-2007, 09:57 PM
Banned

Default hmmm

slot sizes would work on lakes like slave and maybe a few bigger lakes that can support it. But most lakes excpally lakes around the citys and smaller lakes would'nt be able to support it. For example if the slot size was 14-17 inches almost all those fish in that size limit would be taken. That may protect the bigger ones for a while but with very few bigger ones growing up. It would collopse the fishery eventally. i know u guys are going to say it works in other provinces. while the only reason it really works is because theres way more lakes and way less people fishing them. It would also get rid of all those 100 fish days. I think u sould be able to pay 20 bucks more when u get your lience and get to pick out a few tags for certain lakes. Then have more draws for different lakes. Theres no way it can be a cash cow and even if it somehow was i think are fish and wildlife could use the extra few bucks.
Old 11-10-2007, 06:14 AM
sheephunter

TOF...you need to look into how the money is distributed for draws and such and you'll see that it's definitely not a cash cow for the government. They don't end up with much of it and none in some cases.
Old 11-15-2007, 12:55 PM

I agree it is not a cash cow for the government, but it sounds like job security for the bureaucracy.