Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-11-2007, 11:32 AM

Default Salmon and Halibut fishing in Ucluelet

As a hunter and fisherman i thought i would share some insight into BC as i know many of you come here!
The fishing in Ucluelet is awsome, I go every year with Ocean Rambler, he has a great boat, 25 Bertram 440 horse, big beam fast and very stable!
We have a great time and catch tonnes of fish.www.fishingucluelet.com
I will post some pics when i can.
Old 11-11-2007, 11:50 AM
stubblejumper

I have fished at Ucluelet twice and will be returning again for three days in June.I have caught my share of salmon and halibut ,but to be honest,myself and my friends treat our weekends at Ucluelet as fun get aways rather than as serious fishing trips.I have been to Rivers inlet twice,and the size of the salmon is truly amazing.Myself and seven friends are off to Kano Inlet in the Queen Charlottes for five days next July,as I really want to catch a huge halibut.All of my trips have been through Oak Bay Marine Group and I find that they provide good service and equipment.

Last edited by stubblejumper; 11-11-2007 at 02:05 PM.
Old 11-11-2007, 01:00 PM
Banned

As far as I am concerned the Sun rises and sets on OBMG.
Best service I ever encountered in any situation. By far and away the best large company I have ever dealt with no matter what product or service I was dealing with.
I would send any of my employees to a seminar put on by these guys in regards to customer service.

Stubble.. Have you been on the Salmon Seeker before?
If not I could recommend a room that you guys have to take.. It has its own Bath room!!

If you want to chat about Kano, please feel free to get in touch wirth me.. I have been there 4 times I think...

Jamie
Old 11-11-2007, 01:09 PM
stubblejumper

Jamie
I have never been on the Salmon Seeker or to the Queen Charlottes for that matter.While on our trip to Ucluelet in June,a few of us got to talking about the Queen Charlottes,and I decided to look into booking a trip for a group of us.As it stands,there are now eight of us booked on the Salmon Seeker for July 14-through 18.As to our choice of OBMG,it required no second thoughts as the staff and equipment have been first rate on my previous trips.Of course it doesn't hurt that OBMG offers great corporate discounts.Myself and one other member of our group have caught large salmon before,but the rest of the party has never caught a salmon exceeding 30 lbs.We have all caught halibut ,but none over 30 lbs for any of us.We are looking forward to a fun and exciting trip aboard the Salmon Seeker.
Old 11-11-2007, 01:34 PM
Banned

fishbc,,,, most guys pay for advertising on this board I would think it would be you're common courtesy to do the same...
Old 11-14-2007, 03:35 PM

Default Info Troll with stealth Product endorsement Plug !!!

Yeah Walleyes,

I hate it when outifts do these info trolls with stealth product endorsment plugs as well.

They call it gorilla marketing, I call it transparently, obvious.

Drewski
Old 11-14-2007, 03:40 PM

Yup fishing off Van Island is great. Went this summer with a buddy who knew some locals...limited out on halibut by 10 am before the guided boats!

Kinda takes the pressue off for the early season bow hunts when you have 30 lbs of halibut in the freezer.
Old 11-14-2007, 11:02 PM
stubblejumper

Quote:
Kinda takes the pressue off for the early season bow hunts when you have 30 lbs of halibut in the freezer.
That's exactly why I am so anxious to fish the Queen Charlottes.I want to fish where the average halibut caught will weigh as much as three average halibut at Ucluelet.
Old 11-14-2007, 11:24 PM
Banned

Don't have to pay the price of the Charleottes to get hally.. If you want I can turn you on to good fish for half the price and half the distance... Just don't plug the troll....

If you want a good fisherman,, p.m. me I know a few good boys out west that will do you well...
Old 11-14-2007, 11:38 PM
Banned

Our Biggest out of Kano was #160
Biggest I have personaly seen.. Over 200#.
Good salmon there
Dads comes close to 50#
Who is your rep?

Jamie
Old 11-17-2007, 10:43 PM
stubblejumper

Quote:
Our Biggest out of Kano was #160
Biggest I have personaly seen.. Over 200#.
Good salmon there
Dads comes close to 50#
I want big halibut,but I want to catch some big salmon as well.After a lot of research,the Queen Charlottes seems like the place to go for both at one location.
Old 11-18-2007, 09:02 AM

there are better and cheaper places to go , and catch what you desire.. hey walleyes, are you the same one that was out fishing sooke this year, just found this forum, as i am an alberta guy.. but have been on vancouver island for a couple years now..
Old 11-18-2007, 10:56 AM
Banned

Len.. Where is it cheaper and better?

Thanks
jamie
Old 11-18-2007, 11:14 AM

halibut fishing , winter springs, all here in victoria, you could search charters and check prices, lots of good fishing, i love having my boat in the water year round.. fresh crab, prawns, and like i said, great fishing here in the winter. if walleyes is the same guy from the sfbc site, he could attest to the great fishing here. kinda spoiled i guess, but i sure do miss big pike action, my kid brother and i fished the bow, close to rainier, in late may early june and have caught lots over 25lbs, a couple over 30, with walleye to boot. dont miss the cold though.
Old 11-18-2007, 11:17 AM
Banned

Quote:
there are better and cheaper places to go , and catch what you desire.. hey walleyes, are you the same one that was out fishing sooke this year, just found this forum, as i am an alberta guy.. but have been on vancouver island for a couple years now..
Am the same... We head some place out west every year.. We try and make it out a couple times but this year I only made it once.. I have been fishing Sooke for about 10 years now.. Great place one of the best when their there.. Even out of peak season Sooke is a steady producer...
Old 11-18-2007, 11:45 AM

i have yearly moorage at sunny shores, its an old reinell 24.5 cabin cruiser, hoping to upgrade this year though, sure would like to be able to catch fish like roy though..
Old 11-18-2007, 11:48 AM
Banned

Yup,, Wolf can bring em in all rite.... Hey have you talked with Andy lately whats the scoop on his place does it look like it will be there next year....
Old 11-18-2007, 11:51 AM

have not seen any signage to indicate otherwise, was just out there yesterday to check up on the boat, but have not talked to him, i would buy that place in a second if it wasnt 2 million.lol, i seem to remember talking to him in the spring and he was thinking of selling but then decided against , cant remember why though.. memory is good . just short..lol. cheers
Old 11-18-2007, 12:01 PM
Banned

Shoot I questioned him on it last summer ( I know Andy pretty good) He wouldn't give me exact numbers but he was tryin to talk me into gettin me and the family to look at picken it up and when I suggested it being worth around 2 mil he laughed.. The rumor was last summer that he had settled on more like 4-5 mil with the first group that was looking at it... For 2 mil I would almost consider it.. I think a person could make a go of it for that price.. But for 4 or more you couldn't make it pay running it as what it is,,, you would have to develop it and I am in no ways prepared for anything like that in my life,, not yet anyways...
Old 11-18-2007, 12:12 PM

what a life that would be.. in my dreams. the wife and i looked at a full service marina in ontario, shop, marina,house, lock stock and barrel, was only 475,000 but i aint movin there. we are looking here for investment property/ buisness. i would like to find something that caters to the outdoors lifestyle/ hunting fishing, etc. been out in it my whole life. i have not done any hunting since i moved here, and am looking at getting back into it, spending all my time growing up in southern alberta, its way different out here. last time i came that way for a visit, as soon as i seen flat ground, i was gettin all teary eyed, i guess i do miss bein in a place i know so well . but then again...... you dont shovel rain. lol
Old 11-18-2007, 12:18 PM
Banned

Yup its a dream all right.. I know its one that my wife and I are working towards.. We plan on retiring on the coast someplace and having a little something like that... And thats the great thing about this country anything is achievable you just have to work at it and it will come...

Hey we will have to look at hookin up next summer when we are down.. If Andy is still going we will definitely be there again...
Old 11-18-2007, 12:20 PM

you bet! maybe i will have a new boat by then... if the accountant lets me.lol cheers and look forward to chattin with you in the future..
Old 11-18-2007, 02:50 PM
stubblejumper

Quote:
Len.. Where is it cheaper and better?
I would like to know myself.Where can you catch as many salmon and halibut of the same size,with better accommodations for less money than at the Queen Charlottes?
Old 11-18-2007, 03:34 PM
Banned

Nootka comes to mind... Port Mcneil and or Hardy have some excellent fishing and affordable lodges... Or at least you have the option of getting or bringing you're own accomodations and just get guided.. Ucluelet, Bamfeild, Tofino all have some outstanding fishing and can be done at a fraction of what it costs to head to the Charlottes... Prince Rupert has some astounding Fishing actually they have the same runs as the Charlottes but you can be more mobile and again at a lot more affordable prices...

The Charlottes are great guys don't get me wrong,, but I have seen a few of the boys go there and come home quite humbled after spending big bucks...
Saltwater fishing is saltwater fishing when the fish are in its good when their not it sucks... And the Charlottes are no different.. the problem with going all the way out there is it costs a bundle and if you don't hit em it sucks... If you stay on the big Island or on the main land you have a lot more options..

I don't know about accommodations but thats not the main point of a fishing trip,, the guides, the boats and you're dollar value are things that make or break a trip...
Old 11-18-2007, 08:14 PM

I have fished the Charlottes for the last 3 years and I will not be going this year. My trip has been during the last week of June looking for a big Spring and there is no doubt that the fish are getting fewer and smaller. I have been fishing Langara Isl. and there is talk that this run is going around the island way closer to the mainland, as the fishing is just not was it was 5 years ago.

They do catch big Hali's however, did that once now I just stick to the cut-plug looking for Mr 50lb'er.
Old 11-18-2007, 08:23 PM

Thumbs up Prince Rupert

We have gone to rupert end of july the last two years coho were crazy a little late for springs first year halibut averaged 40lbs biggest 150lbs this year average was down but I caught one at 80lbs and one at 100lbs good bottom fishing as well a boat that was beside us had a halibut that was 276lbs NICE FISH we stayed in town and ate in town and we were in a 28 foot boat with a real good guy $250 per person a day with 4 fisherman on board we are booked for the first of june this year to try to get some big springs