Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-13-2007, 08:03 PM

Default Bring my boat?

Hello all. I have been lurking here for a few days now. Interesting and well done forum!
We anticipate relocating from the southern states to Fort Mac in a few months. Probably be there for at least two years.
Alberta seems like a great place to hunt and fish and I have a ton of questions. Done a good bit of searching on this forum and it has been helpful.
But I would like to get some specific opinions on a rather important decision we are facing with the relocation.
Do I drag my boat all the way from Louisiana? Or put another way, are there some waterways around Fort Mac that I could use my boat without tearing the lower unit off? Can a boat be used to reach hunting/camping spots?
The boat is all welded 10 ga aluminum with a four stroke conventional drive 155hp Yahama(prop). 16' with 2' high sides, real stable and solid(heavy too.)
The way we hunt and fish here makes the boat almost necessary.

Looking forward to hear what you guys think.
Old 11-13-2007, 08:36 PM
Banned

Welcome to the board greenriver and welcome to A.B. Sounds like you have a good stable boat that I think would be very useful around Fort Mac.. You are on the river there as you know but the river is quite large there and I'm sure you could navigate a good portion of it with you're boat.. And beside the river there are numerous lakes within an hour or two of the city.. Northern A.B. is a fisherman's paradise fore sure.. I think you would be very sorry if you left it behind...
Old 11-13-2007, 09:42 PM
robert B

[QUOTEI think you would be very sorry if you left it behind...
][/QUOTE]2x take it with you and as long as that drive will be dont forget the "spares". welcome.
Old 11-14-2007, 06:39 AM

Boats are more expensive in Alberta then the states, in general. Sounds like that boat would serve as a great fishing boat. For hunting, think about a quad and/or convert the prop to a jet then hit the rivers.

Either way, I think you would be sorry if you sold it.
Old 11-14-2007, 06:56 AM

Howdy!
I have lived in Ft. Mac for over 30 years, and i can tell you that there is only one lake winthin 1/2 hour that you can use that rig on, it's Gregoire lake.
Winnifred and Grist are about 2 hours south of us, and you can use it there.
Then there is Lac la Biche and a bunch of other Lakes about 2/12/ hours south, and Cold lake.
there are lots of boats like yours up here, they are just not used locally.
For the rivers up here, JET BOATS RULE!!
You need something that will go in skinny water over limerock and sand, and in the Athabasca delta , mud banks!

Gimme a jingle when you get up here- and bring yer firearms!!
Cat
Old 11-14-2007, 07:11 AM

Yup, I lived in Fort Mac and most boats are used on the river ... the boats on the river were all jet boats that only draw 6 inches or so. Your lower unit would not last very long on the river. I have been on the river with small 14 foot boats with 10hp outboard, but even that is tricky in some places.

Sell your boat before dragging it up and buy a jet boat while your up in Fort Mac or leave it behind if the move is just temporary.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:26 AM

Bring your boat if you don't use it I will assure you with the strong dollar you will get more for it than at home. I have a friend that makes his living in part by bringing in used boats to Alberta.

What part Louisiana use to spend some time around Venice, Grand'e Isle Lafayette. I have a feeling its Greenriver

Anyway welcome on the board and to or fine Province
Old 11-14-2007, 07:44 PM

Default thanks to all

Thanks for the replies.

I kinda suspected that the lower unit would not make it in the river. Down here there are no rocks/white water.

Are the jet boats inboards or is the outboard lower unit jet drive?

Anyway, I will chipher some more on it.

"What part Louisiana ?" Lower part near Baton Rouge. Easy drive to saltwater fishing.

Hope to hear for sure if I am coming to AB in the next few days.
Old 11-14-2007, 08:52 PM

Most of the boats are inboards.
A few Go Devils are running around here al;so, they are quite the rig, I may get one of them some day!
Cat