Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-27-2010, 10:39 PM

Question Heading West of Sundre on the Forestry Trunk Road - Suggestions on Hikes?

Well, the wife and I cancelled our camping trip to Cypress Hills since it's underwater. We've since found a camping spot west of Sundre near Bearberry, and we're going to do a little exploring up and down the trunk road while we're there. We leave in about a week and will be gone for about 5 days.

We will likely hit the Ya Ha Tinda Ranch, and maybe Pepper's Lake on the other side of Corkscrew mountain. I've been through these areas before, but it's been a few years.

We have our black lab puppy Duke that loves to hike with us. (And loves water) Yesterday we took a non-outdoorsy couple up to the Barrier Lake Fire Lookout and they actually had a great time doing the full loop down to Jewel Bay with us.

We want to maybe try and explore the Trunk Road area a little more.

I've got my spin casting rod ready to go, hiking boots, and rifles for some crown land plinking.

Any suggestions on specifics to check out in the area? I know there are a few fire lookouts, and we may check them out. We're on foot or mountain bike. I have my backcountry road map, but don't have much for topo maps of this area. If you don't want to share publicly, I'd sure appreciate PM's.

Any suggestions are appreciated, we're just wanting to try to explore the area more. I hunt south of there in 314, so won't be taking anyone's 'spot' come fall.