Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-15-2017, 04:58 PM

Default Scope deals to good to be true?

I am looking at the Bass pro web site, and even if you add 20% for the currency conversion the Leupolds VX1's there are still 65% of the price of cabellas

They say they ship to Canada... Is there something going on?

I am so close to buying, but am just wondering want the catch is

3x9 x 50mm cabellas $529cnd
Bass pro $279 (US?) which is $340 cnd

4x12 40mm
$279 - $340cnd

cabellas $589 - WTF????

Last edited by Heyupduck; 09-15-2017 at 05:00 PM. Reason: because
Old 09-15-2017, 05:15 PM

I believe they can't ship scopes across the border

Protect the oppressed even if an enemy, never forgive the traitor especially if he is your friend
Old 09-15-2017, 05:17 PM

I tried buying one from optics planet and wouldn't ship optics here so I think he is correct
Old 09-15-2017, 05:22 PM

Scopes are ITAR controlled items. Without filing the necessary paperwork for import and export, you never land one of them off a US site.

There are no absolutes
Old 09-15-2017, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
Scopes are ITAR controlled items. Without filing the necessary paperwork for import and export, you never land one of them off a US site.
makes sense...thanks..damn, I wish I would have bought one when i was in the states
Old 09-15-2017, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyupduck View Post
makes sense...thanks..damn, I wish I would have bought one when i was in the states
Yup but if Homeland Security caught you bringing it back you'd be with Bubba. It's so #%^*ing stupid but its the way it is.
Old 09-15-2017, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyupduck View Post
Possessing one without the proper documents in place is a violation of US law.
Exporting requires legal rangling too.

Get stopped in an exit check by US authorities and you risk loosing your scope(best case) or even an entry ban back into the US(possible case) or all 3 plus a visit to a US Prison.(worst case, highly unlikely unless.....)

There are no absolutes
Old 09-19-2017, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
Thought it was only specific scopes ?

Grizz
Old 09-19-2017, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Thought it was only specific scopes ?

Grizz
It's supposed to be, but let's face it, most retailers are so scared of getting a ton of brick dropped on them from the regulators in such affairs, they just do blanket policies.

Heck Midway won't even give a Canadian the time of day, they have chose to just say no, on everything..

There are no absolutes
Old 09-15-2017, 10:19 PM

When was in Montana last year at a smaller sporting goods store drewling over a Nightforce. The guy behind the counter was doing a great job selling me the scope. When I told him I was from Calgary he said" so what, I sell loads of
Scopes to Canadians." I don't think he was lieing. I was very tempted but all the party poopers comments from this forum started going through my head and I chickened out. To bad Trump can't help us poor Canadians out and ease off on some of those dumb rules.
Old 09-15-2017, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelmicallef View Post
When was in Montana last year at a smaller sporting goods store drewling over a Nightforce. The guy behind the counter was doing a great job selling me the scope. When I told him I was from Calgary he said" so what, I sell loads of
Scopes to Canadians." I don't think he was lieing. I was very tempted but all the party poopers comments from this forum started going through my head and I chickened out. To bad Trump can't help us poor Canadians out and ease off on some of those dumb rules.
Don't blame the American government for the current situation. Our Liberal government at the time was offered an exemption for Canadians, but they declined.
Old 09-15-2017, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Don't blame the American government for the current situation. Our Liberal government at the time was offered an exemption for Canadians, but they declined.
That figures . Now I know who the real party poopers are.
Old 09-15-2017, 10:57 PM

Ha! Great thread! Really interesting. I had no idea since I had never looked into buying a scope across the border until 3 days ago. There is this great deal on a scope I was thinking to give a try and was planning to order one this weekend, actually. Thanks for info, guys! I am not even going to bother now.

Are there other countries who follow similar export rules in regards to Canada?

P.S. A friend of a friend bought a scope in the US and shipped it to the friend in Canada. It wasn't done to avoid the legalities, but rather to save on shipping because the shipping charges were some crazy number over a hundred bucks and that was just 2-3 years ago when the loonie was at rock bottom. Neither the friend, nor his American friend knew what they are doing though in legal terms.

P.P.S. It's just a ******* scope. WTF, really? I guess, I am getting little mad.
Old 09-16-2017, 03:10 AM

Try IRUNGUNS. They bring scopes up from the US all the time and do it legally. I have bought a number through them. VX 1 3x9x40 $299 US.

http://www.irunguns.com/catalog.php?...gory=23&page=6

Your other choice is there is a used VX II 3x9x40 in the AO buy sell for $350 CDN, in new condition. Better scope, same price, no importing. Covered by Leupold Lifetime Warranty so no worries about buying used. (Full disclosure, it is my ad)