Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-08-2007, 08:19 PM

Default Deer's favorite crops to feed in?

Hey guys, I wanted to get your opinions on what crops you see the most deer in throughout the year. From August to November and what area of the province you are in, recognizing that we have different climates from south to north.
In August I saw lots of deer in canola fields up north, I'm not sure if they were feeding on the canola or if they were feeding in the weed patches around water. After the canola ripens do you see many deer in it? Oats are always a favorite as well as peas, although there aren't many pea fields. Wheat? Barley? Of course standing alfalfa is a good bet, especially after most of the others are cut. In November I see lots in alfalfa, sometimes even if it is cut and any standing crop in November is a good choice. One question though, some cut alfalfa fields are busy but others are vacant, both close to bush. Any idea why?
Old 12-08-2007, 08:32 PM

im in west central sask big bucks keep a low profile most of the year except through the rut
we see most of the big bucks like the wild oats and stuff that they dont have to show them selves while they eat .wheat , alfalpha ,barley are all good to.
Old 12-08-2007, 08:45 PM

Down south here I alway have good luck seeing deer in sunflower fields, corn fields and chick peas, alpha fields are good too.
Old 12-08-2007, 09:21 PM
Banned

Peas or lentils. Seen deer bypass green oats and barley if peas or lentils are in the vicinity. Often when harvesting these crops, (peas/lentils) there is alot of seed shelled out and lost on the ground. By late october, alot of time these seeds will sprout..........magnet for deer.
Old 12-08-2007, 11:00 PM
Gone Hunting

I see more deer feeding in alfalfa than anything else. I have heard guys say that deer feed on canola but have never seen it. I don't get to see many pea or lental fields but assume they would be attractive to deer.

Several years back we had a hard winter around Rocky and I asked a fellow if he had deer and moose in his hay and around his house as he had in the past. He said no and that a neabour had not been able to harvest a field of peas and all winter it was full of deer, moose, coyotes and fox.

Robin in Rocky
Old 12-09-2007, 12:07 AM

i was very surprised when bow hunting elk in september and october the deer and lots of them where in canola fields, but come November i have no idea where they went to, just vanished?????
Old 12-09-2007, 12:48 AM

peas, peas or hmmm peas! After that new alfafla if it's WT's and canola for muley's.
Old 12-09-2007, 01:10 PM
jrs

Carrots are the biggest draw. then peas, corn, and alfalfa where i hunt mulies (Lethbridge areas).
Old 12-09-2007, 01:19 PM
Banned

Clover is an exceptional late fall crop as it stays green well past frost and snow.. The deer love pawing for the green feed...
Old 12-09-2007, 02:19 PM

Default re

i agree peas are always good, july / early august i see lots of deer in the canola fields when it is in its yellow flowering stage, and barley, wheat fields are pretty good especially if left in swath or if theres lots grain layng on the ground, alfalfa fields are pretty consistent I have found that if you can find a new alfalfa field like 1 or 2 years old that is still the rich green and not patchy if you know what i mean the deer seem to concentrate on it. lastely as end of october and november starts to come around oat fields seem to get better and better.

Chris