Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-10-2007, 08:49 PM
Banned

Default Trail cam success

The question was raised on another thread about trail cams being ethical or not and some of the thoughts were that trail cams gave people an unfair advantage.. So here's my question to all of us that used trail cams this year,, did it help you get you’re animal and did you get one of the animals that you had on you’re camera ?

Some of you mite remember some of my pics.. Well the Nephew managed to get one of the deer that I had posted on here. We were able to take it from our stand so it was an added bonus.. Although not the largest of the ones we had coming in but a nice mid 150s animal, pretty much what we had him judged at…

The one on the left.

Last edited by Walleyes; 12-10-2007 at 08:56 PM.
Old 12-10-2007, 08:53 PM

Nope, never got the buck I seen on my Camera. Kelly pushed him out once and he was like a lighting bolt, never got him. Never pushed him again out of that bush. I just like to see them and the babies this spring. Just got my camera in the late summer.
Beth
Old 12-10-2007, 09:04 PM

A buddy of mine has one and he has taken many of pictures of massive deer and thay have never seen those deer ever! He is out like every day and still hasn't seen them. They are night time deer so you probably will never see them enless you step on their nuts. they are huge deer though and definatly coulee deer.
I am so for the camera because it allows people to see deer they would never see and may never see again. It is always good to see big deer where you would never see big deer. It is good.
Old 12-10-2007, 09:58 PM
Banned

Great pics but when I saw that the title of the thread was "tail cam" I got all exited for a minute. Igues not that kinda tail.
Old 12-10-2007, 10:02 PM

Default yup

hahaha thats exactly what i thought too, i thoguth old walleyes was up to something there fo ra minute
Old 12-10-2007, 10:04 PM
Banned

I screwed up on the title and not sure how to edit it any help boys...
Old 12-10-2007, 10:22 PM

Default editing posts...

I wouldn't say you screwed up Walleyes. It was a great chuckle! We all hit or omit characters from time to time.

To edit your post, go to the top of the page, click on FAQ, in the search words box enter 'edit post'. It will explain how to do it better than I can...
Old 12-10-2007, 10:57 PM

Default deer cams...absolutely!!!

I mean , there will always be pro's and con's to every new hunting device. Personally, i have 9 of them working all year round, and i love them. Since they came out with the deer cams, i have thousands of picture with hundreds of diffrent deer, our group has only ever shot 3 deer we have on film,two which happened this year. Yes they do offer a better look at what the potential is in a certain area ,thus making you hold out for that big one. But without them the first 140's class 5x5 that walked under your stand would end up coming home with us, but now we hold out for the older more mature bucks, and that 140 has a chance to grow into a mature buck,reaching his prime. This year one of the guys shot a buck that we thought was a up and coming deer, until we saw the video and we got lucky and caught a shot of his mouth up close and open, and realized he was a very old buck, the decision was made that "shorty" was open game, 5 weeks later he was on the ground all of one tooth and aged at 11 yrs old. Since the deer cam's we have given our deer a chance through film to mature,(our way of herd management), and years later of doing this the calibre of bucks have gone up on our land from a 135 avg to 155-160. We can now age deer without them having to be harvested ,through sheds and records on the film. BUT in now way shape or form does a camera guarentee that you'll be there at the right place at the right time, or that he will ever come back.Some people have time to sit all night,and every with the spotting scope and bino's some don't, i think they still are the same thing done diffrently.
Old 12-11-2007, 01:06 AM
Banned

Any reccomendations as to what brand, features etc. to look for in a "tail camera" and where the best place to buy them is? I am quite interested to put a few in the woods north of our place and see what is there when I am not.
Old 12-11-2007, 03:34 AM
Banned

Default Bingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nof60 View Post
Any reccomendations as to what brand, features etc. to look for in a "tail camera" and where the best place to buy them is? I am quite interested to put a few in the woods north of our place and see what is there when I am not.
Put one on a trail one time , all l got was a good pic of another hunter takin a crap , haaaaaaaaa .