Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-10-2007, 09:38 PM

Default Plans for 2008 Season

I know I know the 2007 is still open for some things, but I think my season is now finished. I got looking at the 2007 Hunting Draws Summary to gander at my points and what might be up for 2008.

I'm for sure a no go for antelope archery, and trophy antelope.

Depending on the zone selected I might have a crack at non trophy antelope, Camp Wainwright, and antlered moose - most likely won't try to draw any of these.

If I choose to do so I should be good to draw non trophy sheep, and antlered mule deer. The one draw of real interest though is my antlered elk draw for next season.

As always the outside hopes (read dreams) are for mountain goat and 438 trophy sheep.

Mixed in with all these decisions as always are the wide assortment of general tags we are able to pick up here in Alberta. We've also been applying in Wyoming and could be up for a couple of tags if we decide to go that route.

What is everyone else hoping to draw and hunt in 2008?
Old 12-10-2007, 09:44 PM
sheephunter

Too funny that you posted this. I've already been going through the draw stats and planning next year as well. I've got a 50/50 chance for archery antelope and antlered mule deer. Antlered moose should be a shoe in and I can always dream about 408 sheep and goat.

As for other draws....I think I put in for about a dozen between NM, AZ, UT, MT and Nevada. After a dozen or so years of applying south of the border I've only ever drawn 2 tags but I do put in the low percentage draws with the most potential of the most inches on that score sheet!

Going back to the Yukon for a Dall in August and hopefully a moose in September and I promised myself to get more serious about whitetails in 2008. Definitely Aberta and Saskatchewan.

The planning never stops does it?
Old 12-10-2007, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
The planning never stops does it?
Thankfully, no - it is 1/2 the fun for sure. I've been pouring over the draw stats, looking at the WMU maps and on the phone catching up with a buddy on his season. How many more days till next season?

Tough to juggle all the different things I'd like to hunt in a season. If I do draw my elk tag it'll be a focal point for sure. I'm hoping to continue my annual archery mulie trip, and continue to try and hold out for a dandy WT in late November. Add getting more exercise before next season into the equation and I hope to try my luck sheep hunting again as well.
Old 12-10-2007, 09:51 PM
Banned

Yukon for Dall and goat in August and Moose and Caribou and Grizzly in September. Whitetail in Alberta and Saskatchewan and Antelope in Wyoming. Hopefully a cat this winter but doubtful. Trying to convince the wife of the merits of another musk ox in the spring and if I can find someone to go with Bighorn in Alberta. Lots of yotes this winter and a tonne of waterfowl next fall. 2010 I am going to Africa.
Old 12-10-2007, 09:51 PM

Default u bet

im with you guys its started already, leave on the 14 of april for argentina for a red stag with my bow, then it off to bear camp for 6 weeks again.
i should get my antelope draw this year and hopefully its off to the yukon for some guiding and maybe another ram.
i also got my ears open for a cancellation brown bear hunt this year....

oh and who could ever forget abotu the three weeks were going into the willmore for my bighorn.
Old 12-10-2007, 10:04 PM

2008 will be my first big game season so I will stay close maybe try for a whitetail and an elk. Mainly I will be hunting birds but my big trip I am planning is either to the Okanogan Valley for Chukar, Wood Ducks, and Valley Quail or down to Oregon for Chukar and Quail.
Old 12-10-2007, 10:09 PM
jrs

I have a excellent chance for trophy antelope (haven't decided where yet, few areas to choose from) and unless winter throws a curveball I'm up for a antlered mulie hunt once again (had a slight chance this year). I'm thinking shoot the first decent antelope i see then go look for a nice ram. tons of time in November so no worry that way. Can't wait till next fall, long wait for that antelope tag, one of my dream animals (about fifth on the list ha ha, still should be fun). I really wish i would have saved my non-trophy sheep priority for next year, hind sight is 20-20.
Old 12-10-2007, 10:32 PM

I'm trying to figure out how to juggle 2 kids under 2 years old next season .... could be somewhat limited next year but I'll still get out for sure for deer, moose and some grouse.
Old 12-10-2007, 10:37 PM

I'm a Whitetail nut all the way so all my 2008 plans encompass a deer that I have sheds from (185 class typical) and resides in Ontario. So I'll spend alot of time there shed hunting, along with a couple shed hunting trips to Saskland. Then I'll spend my fall hunting in Ontario, Sask, Minnesota and Kansas.
Old 12-10-2007, 10:40 PM

I'm going into the draws next year with 9 points for Moose. Hopefully a big bull is in my future!
Old 12-10-2007, 10:58 PM

Well my season isn't going to be as exciting as some of your guys.
I have enough priority for antlered moose, but will probably 999 it.The areas I have been hunting for the past 13 years are almost mooseless. The number of hunters, predators, and ticks have taken a toll on them.
I am still a couple years out on non-trophy sheep. So looks like my season will be Whitetails and Sheep. Unless goat or late season sheep comes through.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 12-11-2007, 01:05 AM

my 2nd real season for upland bird and hopefully my first for deer and elk.
Old 12-11-2007, 07:19 AM

i will stick with around my place in 511 but a buddy moved to sedgewick 2months so maybe i will put a mule buck in for 232 or 203 depending on the report he gives me i'm priority 2 so i think i will have a good chance to be drawn. and might try camp wainwright, seen and heard some good stories from everybody so will give it a whirl.
Old 12-11-2007, 08:24 AM

Default 2008 Plans & Tags

This is definitely a good thread to bring up. I just saw the 2007 draw summary and was a bit disappointed becasue it seems like all the priority values have increased (is this due to more hunters and out of province new residents to Ab?). Well i am still hoping for my Trophy Antelope tag in 102. This would be my first ever trip to Southern AB & Antelope hunting. Can't wait, gonna contact a fella down there that was interested in taking me out. I might cut back on the general elk opener of Sept 17 because i shot my first Bull this year (5x4) and instead continue the chase for the elusive bighorn. I can't take that one sheep trip a year for that week and then hang the tag because i wasn't successfull. This season I will just keep making trips out and even if they are not to the Willmore after my first one week trip I will head South in the Cadomin area for 3 day trips. Mule Buck should be a go by Drum & and in between if i get that sheep in the early season focus on a pheasant hunt down South with my GSP Berland. He is just over 8 months now and had a not bad year. Only problem was i couldn't hit what he would put up.

I'm already planning a trip to SRD for Map mulling & a scout trip into the Willmore for May.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4050.JPG (19.5 KB, 34 views)
Old 12-11-2007, 08:40 AM

Default 2008 Planning

Have started my planning also:

antelope archery - 100% chance of getting drawn, but will likely 999
bull moose - very low chance of getting drawn this year
elk - general - we'll be doing a trip down in the Dutch Creek area or nw of Rocky Mtn. House
whitetail - archery and rifle general
mulie - archery
black bear - spring and fall
Wainwright - four of us will get drawn for muzzleloader 1st hunt - oh yeah!!!
437 sheep - 8 priority - some day...
goat - ditto!
turkey - won't get drawn this year

Research and planning continues for Alaskan brown bear, aiming for 2010...

tyee43

Last edited by tyee43; 12-11-2007 at 08:51 AM.
Old 12-11-2007, 09:16 AM

My mulie draw is a given so that should be my first couple weeks of november. We already have our cabins booked for our late november whitey hunt up north and a moose tag will be in my pocket again. Archery antelope and trophy antelope will not be drawn. If it works out hopefully I can make it out for the opening week of sheep hunting and give that a go. Never done it before but it sounds like a blast to me. I will try and do as much archery hunting as possible as usual and hopefully connect on that elusive bull elk!
Old 12-11-2007, 09:53 AM

I'm hoping to head down south and do some upland bird hunting.