Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-27-2016, 09:39 AM

Default camping on an island

myself and a couple colleagues are considering going to northern Saskatchewan this june and are wanting to camp on an island for a week while we fish the lake.
my question is this legal? we will be taking the proper precautions in regards to safety and making sure we leave as little of an environmental impact.
Old 04-27-2016, 09:48 AM

I've done it many times and never had an issue, but this is outside of a provincial park. Biggest issue is making sure your vehicle is still complete and there when you return...

SS
Old 04-27-2016, 10:26 AM

Don't see it being a problem, hide your truck or it will be trashed. We camp at Winifred lake years ago never had a problem. Lots of mice on the islands.
Old 04-27-2016, 11:52 AM

Completely legal. Many people do it at the northern lakes. Make sure your not in a provincial park as some have restrictions. One big concern I would have this year is the dry conditions. They may put fire bans on and you won't know it but you may still be charged as it is your responsibility, but all may be good if we get rain and June is a long way away yet. Few years ago on an island on Besnard lake some fellows camped on an island. There was a fire ban on but they thought no big deal, no one out here to tell us no --- except the water bombers flying back and forth from the LaRonge air base. Second morning out one of the water bombers cut out, filled on Besnard very close to where we were fishing and flattened their camp, tent and damaged the boat. Cold, wet hot dogs !!!! What lake you going to ? I would leave your truck at an outfitters fishing camp and give him a few bucks. Good insurance.
Old 04-27-2016, 12:19 PM

Islands on a river are federal puplic land's. But fall into hands of the local authority. The local authority will have public lands rules in place.
Old 04-27-2016, 04:26 PM

Default Carp Lake Northern BC

I don't know about Alberta but we do Lake Island Camping in northern BC frequently. Our favorite is Carp Lake which is a Provincial Campground and it's allowed so I assume that unmanaged lakes would certainly be okay too. I would also just do it. It is no different than camping anywhere else as far as the earth is concerned and the experience is quite cool.

HAVE FUN!
Old 04-27-2016, 04:55 PM

Default Island fish camp

Best of luck to you and your colleagues! Friends and I have island camped/fished on Nemeiben (sp?) a number of times. Incredible experience. Limited insect pests, fantastic scenery, excellent pike catch. Walleye were a little tougher (go figure), and I sincerely believe the trout were laughing at me...LOL First time out, we found a pristine little island and returned to it regularly. The following trips exposed us to numerous brown bats with white wings scattered about, on the ground, throughout the brush. We went so far as to bring waste bags with a chemical mix. Poop in the bag, seal it up, bring it back with you. No stench, no mess, no addition to the brown bat poopulation. Felt better about leaving the island a little cleaner than when we arrived. We returned with bags of other people's trash along with our own.
Still amazed by the limited hours of darkness. Sunset after 11:00pm. Sunrise started around 2:30-3:00am.
We left our truck and boat trailer at the campground north of La Ronge and had no issues with theft or vandalism. There are still some respectful people in this world.
Calculate what you need for food (add an extra days worth), same goes for boat fuel!!! Don't skimp on the first aid kit!! And above all else, just enjoy the H*ll out of yourself!!! Gotta say, I'm a little jealous. Again, best of luck to you and your friends. Tell us all about it when you get back. Maybe share some tips for others.
Old 04-27-2016, 05:03 PM

Dale S in Alberta islands are not federal Public lands. Federal govt. only has input as far as fish habitat and navigability. The bed shore and water are provincially owned. Islands in Alberta are Provincial crown land.
Old 04-27-2016, 05:08 PM

I've done it a few times. Make sure your vehicle is safe though , and better still if someone can keep an eye on it.

Got stranded on an island for an extra day once when the lake was too rough to make it back to the dock . It was a workday , so all was good !
Old 04-27-2016, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboyz View Post
Dale S in Alberta islands are not federal Public lands. Federal govt. only has input as far as fish habitat and navigability. The bed shore and water are provincially owned. Islands in Alberta are Provincial crown land.
I stand corrected. But don't they have more power than just input. Don't they have the final say for any changes on navigable waters.
Old 04-28-2016, 10:08 AM

thanks everyone. I will disclose the lake that we decide on and post lots of photos on how it goes.. maybe even a gopro video (gonna attach it to my net I think.

just finished a power distribution box so I will be able to run my sonar for a week or soo and use the electric downriggers (hopefuly get low enough for the bigger guys)

we are deciding between la ronge, reindeer or nemeiban lake.
most likely reindeer just because that is the only one I have not been to.

mainly targeting lake trout and pike. will try for walleye but the boat isn't the biggest haha 3 guys one boat.