Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-09-2007, 10:59 AM

Default Safari Club - what's it all about?

To be honest, I don't really know what to think about SCI, and I want to figure it out. One one hand, it's an organization that promotes and supports hunting. One the other, it appears to have set a lower "bar" in what it considers "fair chase", accepting animals killed behind high fences for it's record book. I recently saw an episode of that hunting show affiliated with Big Game Adventures magazine (On the Adventure Trail), in which some guy killed an exotic deer on a hunt farm in Saskabush. It sure didn't seem like much of a hunt to me. The animals didn't act "wild" or elusive. After the kill, there was talk about how high up in the SCI book it would rank. I don't think Boone and Crockett would accept such an entry, cuz it wouldn't meet their fair chase requirement, and I kinda feel the same way. I may be completlely wrong on this, and I want to understand it better.

Any thoughts to share?
Old 12-09-2007, 11:41 AM

I am not a fan of canned high fence hunts. I do not respect SCI because they promote these animals. Its as simple as that for me.
Old 12-09-2007, 12:05 PM

I don't care about the record book side of the organisation, but I do value the fact that they are an active hunting advocacy organisation. Hence I'm a member.

Frans
Old 12-09-2007, 12:50 PM
Gone Hunting

Every head taken, measured and submitted for SCI in hi fence situations should have to be also submitted to B&C for the "watch out for" file. Give it 30 years, and i bet a bunch of world class elk and whitetail racks start popping up meraculousy out of guys barns and shops, claiming its fair chase and they want to seek submission to B&C. How does anyone prevent these farm animals from being recognized as wild in 30 years time. What about racks not measured and submitted to SCI. Any popping up on a B&C score sheet 2 years after they "knocked the chickens head off with a hatchet".

Man, a guy could go on, i just dont get er........

keep a strain on er.
Old 12-09-2007, 02:49 PM
Banned

Not a fan of the fenced hunts myself.

As far as the club goes. I like it so far.
As for records showing up in BC... A person has to sign the fair chase form. If they are willing to cheat in 10-20 years, why not cheat now?

Jamie

Btw the records are kept separate in regards to fenced or non fenced hunts.