Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-09-2007, 04:28 PM

Default A good reason to hunt coyotes

Went out this morn to try for an archery coyote, long story short had a close call with a pack of five that came in after about 30 seconds of calling. 2 came within 15 yrds, put never slowed down enough for a shot.
Anyhow, I went to another property to try there and after calling for a bit, I spotted a yote about 500 yrds off, slowly walking away. He glanced in my direction, but showed no interest. Thinking that was a bit odd, I began to notice the unusual amount of ravens flying around. I figured that this dog may have just finished a meal. A little investigating brought me to the site of a carcass, and as I got closer I realized it was a foal probably around 120 lbs, still warm, with its throat ripped open and one ham missing, along with several cuts on its hind legs. Rigor mortis had set in, so I figure it was killed last night, and judging from the surrounding snow, there was quite a struggle and more than a couple coyotes involved.
Pretty sad, as the mare that it belonged to wouldn't leave the carcass.
I was surprised that coyotes that are all of a whopping 30 lbs would have the cojones to tackle something that big.
Old 12-09-2007, 04:32 PM

5 yotes at 30lbs =150lbs of teeth......
Old 12-09-2007, 05:16 PM

If your suprised how a 30 pound dog can take out a foal, imagine how fast a 50 gr bullet can do in a dog. It is not all size, delivery plays a big part too. I did my part in scare local coytes too, missed 4 on Saturday, i cant even blame the rifle.
Old 12-09-2007, 05:20 PM

Watched a Ute try and chase down a Deer near the Columbia Icefield area (back in the 80s) . They were on the east side of the hwy & I was traveling south. When the Deer crossed the hwy I sped up & slowed down to keep the Ute from following the Deer across the hwy.
This was the first time I saw this, seen many times since then.
They'll take an adult Deer out on their own each and every time they get the chance.
Old 12-09-2007, 08:08 PM

Quite the day, Islander. I really wish I could have made it out, but maybe next time!

Tree
Old 12-09-2007, 09:07 PM

On two occasions now I have boated up to wolves chasing deer across a river. We managed to change their minds about their quarry temporarily............but unfortunately did not have a permanent solution such as a gun at the time.