Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-11-2007, 10:57 AM

Default Trail Camera

Looking into getting a trail camera and just curious as to what some of you have and what you think of them ......Things to look for / Avoid when puchasing.

Does the flash scare deer ...I know there are models that dont have flashes.

What about ways to secure them to trees?

Thanks
Mike
Old 12-11-2007, 11:25 AM
sheephunter

I've got a Treebark and it's an awesome camera. It came with a very heavy cable lock to secure it to the tree. It's been my experience that the flash doesn't scare deer and I've got loads of pics of the same deer after the flash went off although I think it was ehntr that brought up a good point in another thread about flashes that I hadn't thought of and that is that the flash gives your camera location away to wouldbe theives and might cause a bear to come take a chomp out of it.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
I've got a Treebark and it's an awesome camera. It came with a very heavy cable lock to secure it to the tree. It's been my experience that the flash doesn't scare deer and I've got loads of pics of the same deer after the flash went off although I think it was ehntr that brought up a good point in another thread about flashes that I hadn't thought of and that is that the flash gives your camera location away to wouldbe theives and might cause a bear to come take a chomp out of it.
x2

Hi Mike

I think with how good a bears hearing is he will pick up the noise of the camera taking the pic even if you dont have a flash.I had a bear chew on mine this fall and Greg (owner of treebark cameras) had my camera back in a matter of days and fixed it for a very reasonable price.There are lots of cameras on the market that are cheaper and take just as nice of pics as a treebark camera but see how long they keep taking pics in minus 20 to 30.
Old 12-11-2007, 12:32 PM

Thanks Guys ...whats the price run on those treebarks?
Old 12-11-2007, 12:34 PM
sheephunter

There's a link right at the top of this page that will take you to his web site!
Old 12-11-2007, 12:39 PM

I have a bushnell 2.1 mp and it works just great. I'm happy with it, it cost 160 including gst from Sportsmen Den in Red Deer. The quailty is great for it only being 2.1 mp.
Beth
Old 12-11-2007, 04:27 PM

I would agree with the previous mentioned temperature concerns. I've had good luck with the moultries (w/ D cell batteries) but only in warmer weather, below -5 or -10C they wouldnt work, (I think its a battery problem), but for the warmer temps it was great.
How are the bushnells in the -15 to -20C temp range?

Thanks
Old 12-11-2007, 07:07 PM

I always thought the flash did not effect the deer. Until one evening I sat and watched as the deer came out single file walking a trail to an alfalfa field. My camera was set on a fence post near the trail leading into the field. I was hoping to get a picture of a 180 class buck that was frequenting the field.
As the deer came and hoped the fence I could see the flash go off from the camera as it took a picture. By about the 6th. deer back they realized something was up. Eventually the remaining deer all detoured around the fence post, crossing 20 feet behind the camera. Had I not seen that I would never have realized that happened. I left the camera there for a few days after to see if I would get any more pictures. And sure enough the trail was abandoned and the one behind the camera was being used.
I have tried infrared cameras as well and do not care for them as the pictures are not near as good as the flash models. I use the flash models and move them around more.