Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-13-2011, 09:16 PM

Default Tikka 300 Win Mag. Muzzle Break or Limbsaver?

I am going to purchase a Tikka Lite Synthetic 300 Win Mag and I was wondering what I should go with? A muzzle break or a limbsaver?
Old 06-13-2011, 09:28 PM

Default Optics also?

Just wondering about a scope also? I am using a bushnell 3x9x40 on my current rifle but I wanna upgrade optics as well. And something that will be able to see out out for full use with the 300 win mag but not kill the pocket book.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:35 PM

Save your hearing and some money, and go for the limbsaver.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:40 PM

Default limbsaver

x2 on the pad. Put the break money towards a little nicer scope! Save the break for a last resort! IMO
Old 06-13-2011, 10:01 PM

I have the T3 in 300 win mag , wasn't unbearable to shoot but added the limbsaver and it works great .. Went with a Bushnell 3200 Elite scope 7-21 variable and sighted for dead on at 300 yds .. Took a coyote this morning at 597 yds holding on 3rd mildot down .. needless to say I'm sold on it .
Old 06-13-2011, 10:32 PM

Yeah stay away from the muzzle brake...go with the limbsaver. I just switched up to a 300 and would rather take a little extra jam in the shoulder than a knife in the ear! I've had my time with muzzlebrakes...never again!
Old 06-13-2011, 10:49 PM

Thanks for the great words of wisdom! I'm already going def in my right ear so extra unneeded noise wouldn't be the answer. I've been shooting the same .303 British w/t a 3x9x40 Bushnell for the last ten years and want a good gun for guiding and my own personal hunting. Shot a few of my buddies guns but nothing with a muzzle break and I was told to do something about the recoil with this light gun!
Old 06-14-2011, 07:05 AM
Banned

i had a t3 lite in .270 with talley rings and a leupy 3-9x33 ultralite scope at 7.04 lbs all in and thats about as much recoil as i'd want out of one, i also tried limb saver but they over hang the stock edges, crooked, and look like crap, they are longer too....i hated the limb saver pad for its added lop and crap fit enough that i couldn't leave it on the gun, when i got a .270wsm i did the brake and love it, but dedicated long range set up otherwise i wouldn't even think about owning a magnum if i wasn't going to take advantage of its full potential, why get beat up with excess recoil and noise if only going to shoot regular hunting distances, a .270 can throw 140 accubond factory ammo to about 650 yrds staying above the 1800 fps threshold (from memory)...its about efficiency imo, nice clean rifle that doesn't need a brake or ugly poor fitting recoil pad would be my choice almost every time, i shoot a .270 wsm ONLY because i shoot factory ammo AND i wanted something to take me closer to 800 yrds, if i reloaded i could do it with standard cartridges in 6.5mm and i wouldn't need a magnum(re: i wouldn't need a pad or brake) but in factory ammo my choices for 800 yrd work are magnums period, a .270 or 30-06 will go 600-650 no prob

hope that helps
Old 06-14-2011, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
i had a t3 lite in .270 with talley rings and a leupy 3-9x33 ultralite scope at 7.04 lbs all in and thats about as much recoil as i'd want out of one, i also tried limb saver but they over hang the stock edges, crooked, and look like crap, they are longer too....i hated the limb saver pad for its added lop and crap fit enough that i couldn't leave it on the gun,
A properly fitteds recoil pad with the stock cut to length will not hang over , be longer or crooked.
Cat
Old 06-14-2011, 09:18 AM

Default limb saver

These guys make a pad that slips over your shoulder on a harness, don't look like much but they work very well. FS
Old 06-14-2011, 12:49 PM

For what it's worth I would save the money on the muzzle brake and spent it on optics... A limbsaver pad will make your life easier on shooting and MUCH easier on your ears.
Old 06-14-2011, 04:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessepaul View Post
I am going to purchase a Tikka Lite Synthetic 300 Win Mag and I was wondering what I should go with? A muzzle break or a limbsaver?
a .270 would be the best answer and eliminate the need for either, anyhow

your set on 300wm then try the pads available first and see if your happy, that is cheapest way to go, Henry Rempel in Calgary does brakes for i think 160 bucks on my last one (about 100 less than everyone else) and he builds you a thread protector to put on when not using the brake, i've tested mine at 550 yrds with and without brake on and poi is the same...so you could shoot your 300 win mag feeling recoil about like a 25-06 with the brake and then spin off the brake for hunting....that would be my vote, i like the lines of the stock tikka recoil pad, it looks right on that gun, pm me if you want Henry's number

Tags
300 win mag