Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 05-03-2022, 06:42 AM

Default new fly rod

Looking at a new fly rod for this summer. Saw a TFO finesse II and a finesse glass yesterday. Think I liked the II better. This is a 4 wt. at 7'9". Will be used almost exclusively at the old man, Dutch / Racehorse creeks, and Livingston. Has anyone used either of these rods? What do you think of them? Any suggestions for other rods in the 3 to 4 hundred dollar range?

TIA.
Old 05-03-2022, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zabbo View Post
Looking at a new fly rod for this summer. Saw a TFO finesse II and a finesse glass yesterday. Think I liked the II better. This is a 4 wt. at 7'9". Will be used almost exclusively at the old man, Dutch / Racehorse creeks, and Livingston. Has anyone used either of these rods? What do you think of them? Any suggestions for other rods in the 3 to 4 hundred dollar range?

TIA.
I have a TFO Finesse II in 3wt. I love it. It's a perfect rod for small stream trout and grayling. I found it casts really nicely when overlined with a 4wt floating line from troutbum.ca

https://www.troutbum.ca/store/p293/f...f4%2C_wf5.html
Old 05-12-2022, 10:19 AM

Any thoughts??
Old 05-12-2022, 10:33 AM

I have an Echo Carbon XL 7'6" 3W, 4-piece that I really like, I think it was around $230. Very nice little rod.
Old 05-12-2022, 11:04 AM

I have heard good things about the Redington Butterstick. You could try casting it at the fishin hole
Old 05-12-2022, 06:05 PM

I have nice 8' 6' 5 weight older ( Canadian made) G Loomis for sale if you're interested. In very good shape. with tube.

Can't go too far wrong with TFO rods. Had a few lower end and mid range TFO rods and they are are easy casting and a good warranty. Cheaper models have cheap guides that wear out quickly as with most low priced stuff.

Also used/owned a few Redington's in your price range that were nice rods.

Happy shopping!
Old 05-13-2022, 06:24 AM

Thanks for the offer, but I think I'm stuck on the 7' 9" length and already have 4wt line. Been casting a Reddington the last few years and I like it, but it seems to have lost much of it's life. Like the shorter length for quick hops in and out of the truck and ease of bushwacking, even though it doesn't happen very often.
Old 05-13-2022, 08:29 AM

I picked up a couple of small vintage reels in my travels over the years so went looking for a small stream rod to match. Settled on a couple of Allen Heritage rods when they had their BOGO 2 for 1 sale on. They are much nicer than I expected and IMO a step up from Redington and TFO. I went with their 3 wt 7'6" but there was other options available.
Old 05-14-2022, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker Hale View Post
I have an Echo Carbon XL 7'6" 3W, 4-piece that I really like, I think it was around $230. Very nice little rod.
I have this rod in a 5wt. It is an amazing rod for the price. I would imagine that it would scale down extremely well.
Old 05-14-2022, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scel View Post
I have this rod in a 5wt. It is an amazing rod for the price. I would imagine that it would scale down extremely well.
It's my go to Cuttie rod for sure.
[IMG][/IMG]