Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-15-2017, 02:37 PM

Default Zastava quality?

Relative to the price point - how is the finish, accuracy of Zastava rifles? Thinking of one of the 6.5x55's, replacing the stock in favour of lighter & converting to a mountain style hunting firearm. Thoughts?
Old 12-15-2017, 03:18 PM

From what I've heard their quality has varied from really great fit and finish to rough quality with half done checkering but usually good quality lumber.

I think that during some initial orders their quality was better, but then later on at the end of some production runs the quality dropped off.

I heard someone comment once, or rather reply to the comment that the checkering wasn't finished on a zastava rifle, that rather: "it actually wasn't even started"

You would be wise to get lots of pictures of the rifle around the inletting of bottom metal and action, and get feedback on the smoothness and feeding of the action if you can before buying.
Old 12-15-2017, 05:32 PM
Banned

Can't go wrong with zastava. Action and barrel alone are of higher quality then most guns you can find at retail stores. Walnut stocks are good quality, not as fancy as some higher end guns but for the price you should be more than happy with it.

Early rifles had restrictive barrel twist for the variety of bullets offered in North America, but that has been remedied once zastava got out of contracting for big companies.

I am looking at 7x64 brenekke for my next rifle, already have a 257 Weatherby otherwise would buy 6.5x55, it will have to happen eventually
Old 12-15-2017, 05:32 PM

Zastava is made in Serbia.

Serbia made the famous YUGO vehicle.
Old 12-15-2017, 06:12 PM

The M70 (Mauser 98) comes with a 3 way adjustable trigger, functional iron sights, proven Mauser 98 reliability, and strength, and a walnut stock.

The length of pull is quite long(lotsa room for adjustment), and the recoil pad is a left over hockey puck.

I put an equal amount of effort and time into my left hand, yes they come in a left hand model, 30-06, a skim bed of the recoil lug and tang area, a tune up on the trigger. Cut the stock to my LOP, and fitted both a 1" and a 0.6" decellerator recoil pads. Groups were a bit tighter than average with stand by recipes with 150's, 165's, and 180's. I settled on 165 Sierra's and H4350, yielding 2780fps, from the 22" bbl.

I'd buy another if the urge hits me.

There are no absolutes
Old 12-15-2017, 06:35 PM

For $800, you won't find anything more reliable. Beats anything Savage, Remington and other manufacturers are selling for the same price.

With a true M70/98 Mauser action, the options to customize and modify your rifle down the road are limitless.

If I'd be in the market for a new rifle on a budget, I'd definitely get a Zastava. I'm even tempted to get one just in case I feel like building a nice rifle around the action one of these days.
Old 12-15-2017, 06:43 PM
Banned

Zastava car manufacturing was just a branch of FIAT, Yugo failed before it's release. Their mass produced vehicles were lame.

Zastava name was used in part to establish a home brand instead of FIAT, and political reasons.

Zastava arms is a whole different company and has a great history behind it.
Old 12-16-2017, 11:26 AM

I am working on a LH 7x57 right now. The barrel and action are a great deal for the price. Very well blued, no plastic parts. Action is smooth. All of the ones I have had shot under an MOA with factory ammo, after the action was glass bedded. The guns weigh just about exactly 7 LBs, so they are pretty light to start with and you can easily shave a pound and a half off them by just going to a lightweight synthetic stock and aluminium bottom metal. The trigger is completely adjustable.

The stock is nothing to write home about but I am going to completely reshape it into a English Stalking rifle. Link if you are interested. I will post pictures as I go along of the bedded action and the stock reshaping.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=335045
Old 12-16-2017, 11:31 AM

Good utilitarian rifles. Remind me of SKS's only bolt action.The stocks aren't finished very well, you could see the sanding marks and the checkering on the one I had was very poor. I had to spend a lot of time polishing the action to get it even semi smooth. Bottom line it was the roughest bolt action I've ever cycled by a long ways. I know some are better than others but for the prices they ask for new ones I would just buy a good used "low mileage" rifle made by companies that take pride in workmanship.
Old 12-17-2017, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
I am working on a LH 7x57 right now. The barrel and action are a great deal for the price. Very well blued, no plastic parts. Action is smooth. All of the ones I have had shot under an MOA with factory ammo, after the action was glass bedded. The guns weigh just about exactly 7 LBs, so they are pretty light to start with and you can easily shave a pound and a half off them by just going to a lightweight synthetic stock and aluminium bottom metal. The trigger is completely adjustable.

The stock is nothing to write home about but I am going to completely reshape it into a English Stalking rifle. Link if you are interested. I will post pictures as I go along of the bedded action and the stock reshaping.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=335045
What exact synthetic stocks can you buy for it? I have the synthetic stainless m70 in 9.3x62 and the synthetic stock is junk. I haven't been able to make this rifle shoot yet but I haven't given up. And the action on mine is the roughest, noisiest bolt I've ever cycled . If I could put it in a bell and Carlson I think it might work a lot better. I can find any information if the zastava will fit in one though. I see they have 2 different Mauser stocks.

Some times you catch the Big fish, some times you get stuck in Chip
Old 12-17-2017, 05:25 PM

I handled a M70 and I thought the stock wood stock was of low quality and fit and finish was poor. But the metal was good I thought and the blueing was terrific.
Old 12-17-2017, 05:28 PM

I have a zastava m70 fullstock 6.5x55. The factory trigger is unreal (fully adjustable), fit and finish great, and accuracy is sub MOA.

if they cost $1200 I would still buy another

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 12-17-2017, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishHunterPro View Post
What exact synthetic stocks can you buy for it? I have the synthetic stainless m70 in 9.3x62 and the synthetic stock is junk. I haven't been able to make this rifle shoot yet but I haven't given up. And the action on mine is the roughest, noisiest bolt I've ever cycled . If I could put it in a bell and Carlson I think it might work a lot better. I can find any information if the zastava will fit in one though. I see they have 2 different Mauser stocks.
Any stock designated to fit the Rem 798 will be a perfect match. They are exactly the same action, made by for Rem. Zastava also made them for Charles Daily. Most model 98 Large ring Mauser stocks will also fit with just a little fitting and filing.

As far as the bolt and action, some are much smoother than others. No Mauser bolt has a tight fitting run, they were built with a loose fit and rack to accommodate mud and other debris while still accomplishing a faultless feeding of ammo. If the bolt is rough and gritty, slather on some JB paste and run it back and forth a couple of hundred times. It will smooth up perfectly. Be sure to completely clean off all compound then lube and shoot.

The existing stocks are not spectacular wood but with a good glass bedding job they will do the job and they will last for ever. With a little reshaping and finishing they can be made into a pretty good looking stock. I have already shaved about 6 ounces off mine and have a ways to go yet. It looks a whole bunch better than it did originally.
Old 12-19-2017, 08:11 PM

I have two Zastavas. One is in 458 win mag. Very well made and I like it much better than the Winchester I had in 375 H&H. The other one is a mini mauser in 22-250 with a 20 inch barrel. Darn neat little gun. Would definately buy another one.
Old 12-20-2017, 05:01 PM

Default zastava

I was given a Zastava 270 win with mauser 98 action this summer. I loaded up two different 130 grain rounds. First was nosler partitions with imr4350 which it completely hated. Second was nosler accubonds with H4831 which to my surprised made the rifle sub MOA.
There is a lot of good value in these rifles and I will defiantly buy another....
control feed action, sub moa with right ammo, metal and a reasonable nice wood. Magazine capacity is 4+1.
I actual hunted with the Zastava this season and left both my Sako and Tikka at home.
Combine the Zastava, M98 action and 6.5x55SE round and you'll have a winner.
At least in my own experience
Old 02-26-2018, 06:14 AM

Default Zastava

I have 2 Zastava's. A full stock model 70 in 6.5x55 and a full stock model 85 mini mauser in 7.62x 39. Both are excellent quality rifles for the cost. They are all metal construction and hand assembled and fitted. The blueing is exceptional and the adjustable trigger works very well. The mini mauser is not a true mauser action as it doesn't have controlled round feed but even in the full stock only weighs 6 1/2 lbs. The model 70's bolt was a little rough but didn't take long to clean up. The wood on both rifles is a bit utilitarian with stamped checkering and the first thing I did to both rifles was to remove the varnish and refinish with oil. I'm sure that any stock for a 98 mauser would fit with minor tweaking.
I personally don't think you can find a better made rifle in the same price range.
What's not to like. Model 70 is a true 98 mauser action with controlled round feed, adjustable trigger, and iron sights ready to shoot out of the box.
If I can find another one with a full stock in 7x57 I'll be adding that to the ones I already have.
Old 02-26-2018, 01:38 PM

You asked abbout quality. This is the factory wood, not spectacular to start with. This is what she looks like after heavily reshaping the factory stock and refinishing it. Has been glass bedded, floated. LOP shortened to 13.25" and the trigger set to a nice crisp 3 Lbs. Now to put a scope on it and try it out.

Personally I think this makes the rifle look a lot more elegant and it now weighs in at about 6 LBs 6 ounces.

Before

AFTER

Old 12-03-2019, 08:48 PM

I own(ed) 8, in 7.62x39, 2, 6.5x55(Manlicher & Regular stock) 270 Win, 308 Win, 30-06 Spring.(Manlicher) and 9.3x62 (Manlicher) they all are much better than the price suggests. Although I've heard some complain they are "rough" all of mine have been of fine fit and finish and very accurate. I have owned a shot a lot of rifles over the past 1/2 century, from old surplus Lee Enfields to hand built masterpieces that cost more than I could ever afford. They are without a doubt one of the best buys for the buck out there IMHO but SHHHH keep this to yourselves and they will stay affordable.
Old 12-06-2019, 11:33 AM

Default zastava M70 and another option?

I have seen and handled Dean2's zastava and I was impressed by the quality of the metal work as others have said. If you like old school bluing and craftsmanship, you won't be disappointed.
Another option to consider if you don't mind used is a Voere M98 from Tradex. I own 3 and love them. I am referring to Voere Kufstein from Austria. They have made M98s for decades from commercial and military M98 actions. Great metal finishing and bluing and light contour barrels.
My son shoots a 6.5x55 that Dean bedded, teaching us how. This summer, I stripped the varnish and refinished in a hard was oil. The rifles balance and shoulder well. His shoots .75 Moa with handloads and was made in '69
They are usually priced between 450-550
Tradex is great to deal with and also sells Zastava

Vance
Old 12-06-2019, 11:34 AM

Default correction

Sorry, I meant hard WAX oil
Old 12-06-2019, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellero View Post
For $800, you won't find anything more reliable. Beats anything Savage, Remington and other manufacturers are selling for the same price.

With a true M70/98 Mauser action, the options to customize and modify your rifle down the road are limitless.

If I'd be in the market for a new rifle on a budget, I'd definitely get a Zastava. I'm even tempted to get one just in case I feel like building a nice rifle around the action one of these days.
How about Howa 1500?
I think they are better...
Old 12-09-2019, 07:22 PM

Default howa1500

The Howa is beautifully made and accurate. Great value too! I have 3 and they all shoot. BUT they are not a Mauser 98 action. If you want a Mauser you want a Mauser....I have more Mausers than any other action
Old 12-10-2019, 06:54 PM

Just wondering what the weight on these rifles is? I've always been kind of interested in them but have never actually handled one.