Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-02-2019, 11:35 AM

I’ve found a couple nice cutlines that have solid bush on both sides. One side has a main lease road about 300 yards from the cutline. I walk in early from a different lease. Hang my climbing stand in a position I can see both directions. Climb, get all my safety stuff secure, my spikey hangers sunk in. Pour myself a coffee and wait until sunup. It seems all the road hunters that have been spoken of will keep the deer walking the cutlines in the bush. Seems about 300 yards,lol. Crown land hunting isn’t that hard, you just need to be where the deer are and feel safe.
Tullfan
Old 12-02-2019, 09:12 PM

I’m finding I see more bucks when I stay silent on my land, no calls or rattling.
Find what works where you are, I’ve shot my biggest bucks from stands where I can see my house and hear everything going on in my yard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-02-2019, 10:34 PM
Banned

Default Most Effective Hunting Style

If you are aware of what the experts do you will wonder how you haven't identified or adopted this hunting style. It is known as the "Nothing Upstairs Hunting Style".
You will pay major dollars to hunt with a guide who has perfected this technique. You see this technique in hunting magazines and on TV shows.
The "Nothing Upstairs Hunting" technique requires wearing the most current and expensive hunting fashion but only from the neck down. From the neck up you wear a big black (or some other color) western style hat that does not have a camo pattern.
Old 12-02-2019, 11:06 PM

just use a bunch of infra-red Drones that fly a grid pattern

pattern your target animal

set up camera's in area

take lawn chair with a pop up blind where wind is not a factor

take a buddie heater

make sure you wait 6 hours

shoot said target

Good luck

David

Food for Thought ;
Old 12-03-2019, 12:00 AM
Banned

Default dwe’dwdD

The key to killing big bucks is you have to hunt them where they are. To hunt them where they are you have to understand their patterns, not just daily patterns but yearly patterns.

Early season, August-September before the rut and while the crops are still standing, glass them then set up between their food sources and their beds. Things change once the crops come off, October-early November, I set up a little ways in from food sources and set up on scrape lines, this is when I find grunts and rattles work the best. Often I’ve seen bucks taken in the mid morning to noon type times.

Trail cams are great to see what’s in the area, but when the rut hits in Alberta, that area can consist of 100sq miles. Sounds crazy? I watched a buck one evening, then the next morning I saw the same buck 7 miles away..... and that was just over night! After seeing that it changed my way of thinking. Instead of hunting the areas I seen bucks in August through October, when the rut hits I set up on key travel routes. This can be something as simple as fence rows in between fields, creek beds that run through wide open fields, natural corridors in bushes is a no brainer. This is my favorite time to hunt whitetail, it’s often the time you’ll see deer you haven’t seen all year, not even on trail cams.

My favorite style of hunting is still hunting, however it’s no where near as effective as ambush hunting. Watching your wind and waiting them out is your best bet.
Old 12-03-2019, 05:41 AM

Default Tunnels and Choke Points

I am having outstanding results setting up over looking natural funnels or choke points that deer like to use. This is on private land, and what I’ve found is once the dawn breaks into daylight, or once that slightly inkiness begins in the evening the deer will travel in the relative comfort of the bush, they really dislike being in the wide open for long. Finding that narrow finger of bush that connects two larger pieces of bush, with perhaps a fence line or a surveyors slash line bisecting it is the perfect scenario.

There are no absolutes
Old 12-03-2019, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger7mm View Post
From what I’ve seen in my home area, the majority of guys hunt the same way. Drive around the roads and fields before daylight, and after dark with the gun on the seat, and when something is spotted, stick it out the window and blaze away.
I had a retired CO tell me that he figures 90 percent of the deer in the 200 zones are shot from a truck seat. I would have a hard time arguing.
Old 12-03-2019, 08:50 PM

I don't know about that.

Too hard to secure them to the tree.
Old 12-03-2019, 09:29 PM

im a dedicated tree dweller, i quad the bush searching for well used deer trails. once i find a few good trails, i abandon my quad far away, take my self climbing tree stand, climb 20-30ft up a tree and sit and wait, Havent killed a deer from the ground in 5 years.
Old 12-03-2019, 10:38 PM
Gone Hunting

I seldom hunt Deer. When I do my preferred method is stand hunting. But oddly enough I have taken more when still hunting. IE; slow stalk.

The biggest Deer I ever harvested was taken when not even hunting. In fact I was on my way to visit a neighbor and spotted it and two other nice bucks in my brothers field. So I returned to my brothers place where I was staying, borrowed a rifle and had him drive me back to a woodlot on the edge of the field from which I could set up a stalk.

That buck scored 179 and a bit, dry. I later gave it to my friends FIL.
I wasn't really that interested in trophy's then or now.

Antlers don't fill the pot as they say.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 12-03-2019, 11:29 PM

I ride up and down the edges of deep coulees that hold mule deer and periodically stop and glass the sidehills. Establish where they are then wait for them to come out of said deep coulee before dark and shoot it. If it big enough I will shoot it in the bottom and pull it out or eat it down there. Whitetail much the same way. Travel heavily populated trophy areas on private land and locate them, analyze them and shoot the prettiest one. Lots of private land that this works great on. And here we go! Lol
Old 12-04-2019, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skoaltender View Post
One of the most common tactics in Alberta is to just drive the range roads, littering it with beer cans, shooting from the roads or your vehicles. If you’re not seeing anything you can always drive onto a farmers field, which you probably have no permission, driving the field edges while honking your horn every 15 seconds hoping to spook out the big one.
I take it this tactic isn’t for you? Some of what you said or even implied works tremendously for a large amount of people. So before you criticize other hunters methods you should understand them and stop being so f&$ki@g jealous. I offer many that don’t have permission on private land permission.... just gotta ask. I will likely say no though.
Old 12-04-2019, 02:05 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino81 View Post
I take it this tactic isn’t for you? Some of what you said or even implied works tremendously for a large amount of people. So before you criticize other hunters methods you should understand them and stop being so f&$ki@g jealous. I offer many that don’t have permission on private land permission.... just gotta ask. I will likely say no though.
What he described is illegal and there is a word for it. It's called poaching.

No one is suggesting that the use of a vehicle is illegal in every situation. But to suggest that all uses of vehicles in hunting situations is legal is simply not true.

There is nothing in law prohibiting the use of a vehicle for scouting, for travel to a hunting location or for the retrieval of game but there sure is against using a vehicle as a shooting platform. Which clearly is what shoaltender was talking about.

Perhaps you misunderstood his post, if so, fine. The only other option is not good, not for you or for hunters in general.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 12-04-2019, 09:13 AM

Default Alberta hunting styles

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman1978 View Post
I had a retired CO tell me that he figures 90 percent of the deer in the 200 zones are shot from a truck seat. I would have a hard time arguing.
Agreed.
Old 12-04-2019, 04:25 PM

Fresh snow helps a bunch in figuring out the movement patterns . Take a drive down the logging roads looking down the cutlines for recent tracks . Once you find a bunch put the warm layers on and go for a hike down the game trails , be quiet as hell and move slow listening for any movement and eventually you will be rewarded . Or you can setup a blind on the game trails and play the patience game if you want. Also if you have a buddy or twonwith tags you could always pull off a deer drive on an active corner .
Old 12-05-2019, 06:02 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

The zone, terrain, species after will dictate style and strategy.....good luck.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...

Tags
hunting, white tail