Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-09-2010, 11:39 AM

Default Restricted Firearm Test

I have signed up to challenge the restricted firearms test on September 15. I have read the book over twice already and feel pretty comfortable with everything in it. I was just wondering if anyone could give me some tips on stuff i should be really focusing hard on. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Old 09-09-2010, 11:48 AM

Default Piece of Cake

I just wrote mine a couple weeks ago. Nothing tricky in the test if you've looked over the book you should be fine, mostly common sense questions. as long as you have a basic understanding of hand guns (ie actions and safeties) you should breeze through it
Old 09-10-2010, 10:55 PM

ACTS and PROVE will most likely be a part of your restricted test.
Old 09-11-2010, 08:54 AM

son and I did the same thing a few years ago challenging both exams on the same night. Storage and transportation requirements were on the exam and were the only item that were cause for concern for me.
Old 09-12-2010, 11:12 PM

Ya I was kind of thinking the storage and transportation would be the trickiest part. Do they have you do a practical part for the exam where you actually handle the firearms? I haven't had much experience handling them so I'm kind of worried about that.
Old 09-13-2010, 07:54 AM

I had to do a practical for it, most of it was common sense stuff and 2 different ways to lock them out. Good Luck
Old 09-13-2010, 09:13 AM

wrt revolvers, you will have to know how to tell a single-action from a double-action, & how to load then clear them.
Hint: the SA is the one with the loading gate. The cylinder also does not tilt out.
Old 09-13-2010, 11:26 AM
waylow

In the practical, always act and prove the firearm each time you pick it up and put it down. I forgot to do it once and he almost failed me because of it. And be careful as to where you point the firearm.
Old 09-13-2010, 01:42 PM

When I took mine, the instuctor stressed barrel control. If I reacall correctly, he had a table and instucted us to treat it as a range table and he always wanted to see the barrel pointed down range.

He had several different types of guns and ammo(disabled) and he would say something like,"pick up the single action revolver and load it."

You were expected to pick the right gun, verify that it was not loaded, check the appropriate round and select the appropriate round and load it and enable the safety, if applicable.

If you are not used to handlng hand guns, it is very easy to want to turn the gun sideways to read the calibre on the side of the firearm as opposed to a long gun where you tend to move your head instead of turning the gun. This was an instant fail as you were not controlling the barrel and it was no longer pointed down range.
Old 09-14-2010, 11:06 AM

Ask the examiner for some time to handle the kit guns before the practical test. He should have no trouble with this. Ask questions if you don't know something. Don't be afraid to talk through the practical test, many revolvers do not have a safety, but you'll be docked points if you fail to attempt to engage the safety. So if you mention to the examiner that there is no safety, you're covered. Also don't forget about the documentation when he asks you to prepare restricted firearms for transportation, put the Registration and Autorization to Transport papers in the case or at least pick them up and mention your intentions to the examiner. The other big mistake people make is PROVEing a firearm safe, then setting it down to load the magazine, then picking the firearm up again without PROVEing it. If the examiner is a hard-AZ$ he will dock points. If you tell him that you are going to set it down and it is still in your direct control (no-one else could easily get it from in front of you) you should be OK, but if you turn away or bend down to pick up a dropped cartridge, it has left your control.

Good for You for getting your restricted, you'll enjoy it. Good Luck!
Old 09-14-2010, 11:17 AM

Again repeating ACTS & PROVE, but also make sure your finger stays out of that trigger guard. It should be a habit to you if it isn't already.
Old 09-18-2010, 10:52 AM

Well I went on Thursday and wrote the test. It was pretty easy, got 92% on the written and 98% on the practical. Now I gotta wait for my paycheck and get a handgun.

Tags
firearms, restricted