Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 10-30-2017, 07:23 PM

Default Success rate?

How often are you guys successful with your bows? Also what is your success rate with different animals?

Hunted pretty hard the last two months for Mule deer and wasn't able to get it done. Had a few good chances, but deer spooked before I could get off a shot. Just want to know if I stick with it, will my success rate go up? Or should I just stick to rifle hunting where I know I'll be going home with something most of the time?
Old 10-30-2017, 07:29 PM

Default Success

Success is what you make it. When I was bowhunting, I wasn’t always successful and comparatively my success % compared to the number of times I went out while bowhunting was lower compared to when I go out with a rifle. With that said, some of my most memorable and enjoyable hunts was with a bow. Regardless what you use, enjoy the experience.

Morb
Old 10-30-2017, 07:54 PM

As far as successful goes, I firmly believe that every time I go it's a success! As far as a kill rate, I usually average 3 or 4 big game animals with my bow each season. I've had better years, but I've also had WAY worse years! I also don't always target big bucks, so with that my harvest rate stays high. This year was my 19th bow season.
Old 10-30-2017, 07:58 PM

Only way to have success bow hunting is to stick with it. If the going gets tough and you switch back to the rifle you miss out on another opportunity to learn.

The average time for a Bowhunter to get his first animal is 4-5 years I have been told. Stick with it.

If I get an elk or a moose down early I become very choosy. I have been lucky to have a good streak on archery elk so I have passed on many moose and deer as a result.

LC
Old 10-30-2017, 07:59 PM

A day hunting when you don't get anything is just another step towards getting an animal. It won't happen in a day, be persistent, keep hunting and it'll happen.
Old 10-30-2017, 08:22 PM

Every time I get close enough to an animal to be within bow range. I call it a good hunt. Firing a shot and harvesting an animal is ultimately our end game, but bowhunting is all about the challenge, and the adventure. You learn so much more about the game you hunt, when you have to get within close proximity to them. My success rates with the bow have come way down since I stopped hunting from a tree stand, but it is so much more exciting. I still hunt with my rifle, but I put in a solid effort to try and harvest something with my bow. Don't give up on the bow just yet! My biggest piece of advice is, if you are going to "still" hunt from the ground, take it super slow. I still spook animals as I'm walking sometimes. Always have to remind myself to slow down. Good luck!!
Old 10-30-2017, 09:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Only way to have success bow hunting is to stick with it. If the going gets tough and you switch back to the rifle you miss out on another opportunity to learn.

The average time for a Bowhunter to get his first animal is 4-5 years I have been told. Stick with it.

If I get an elk or a moose down early I become very choosy. I have been lucky to have a good streak on archery elk so I have passed on many moose and deer as a result.

LC
I don’t agree I know many who harvested first year. Also helps scouting and that I arrowed more from 14-18 then I do now but more selective now as well
Old 10-30-2017, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slicktricker View Post
I don’t agree I know many who harvested first year. Also helps scouting and that I arrowed more from 14-18 then I do now but more selective now as well
Think of how many archers there are out there...this is the figure I was told as a "global" average.

LC
Old 10-30-2017, 11:17 PM

Morbious X2
Old 10-30-2017, 11:23 PM

Lets be clear, I could have taken many whitetail does but have chosen not to. With more then a month left in rifle season I felt no need to take a whitetail. Although I seen the biggest buck of my life at 107 yards with no way to get closer.(He was in the middle of a field) Hunting mulies is over and goes to draw on November 1st. I guess the good thing about the bow is that Ive had 2 more months to hunt which was fun. But in saying that I hunted hard the last two months and Im coming home with nothing. Pretty frustrating to put in a ton of miles and time to not bring anything home. This is despite seeing plenty of game in the 100-150 yard range. Which is why I want to see how everyone does. If I stick with it, will I get to a point were I have a pretty good chance of harvesting an animal. Or is it more for getting out in the wilderness and relaxing? I dont mind paying my dues, i just want it to pay off in the end.
Old 10-30-2017, 11:44 PM

This is my third archery season and I connected with my first mule buck on Friday. I put in a lot of time and had many failed stalks but eventually it all came together. Mules can be pretty clever and rarely stick around once they sense something is up, they aren’t getting any stupider and I’m not getting much smarter so I doubt it will get any easier.

I can’t imagine that now that I’ve harvested one buck I now know enough to easily do it year after year, I’m looking forward to blowing stalks next fall and likely eating tag soup more often than not.

The enjoyment for me is in the challenge, failure makes the successes sweeter.
Old 10-30-2017, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akoch View Post
This is my third archery season and I connected with my first mule buck on Friday. I put in a lot of time and had many failed stalks but eventually it all came together. Mules can be pretty clever and rarely stick around once they sense something is up, they aren’t getting any stupider and I’m not getting much smarter so I doubt it will get any easier.

I can’t imagine that now that I’ve harvested one buck I now know enough to easily do it year after year, I’m looking forward to blowing stalks next fall and likely eating tag soup more often than not.

The enjoyment for me is in the challenge, failure makes the successes sweeter.
Yea, I used to think mulies were dumber then whitetail before this bow season. Now Im not so sure. lol They're pretty smart if you try to get closer then 100 yards. And theyre ghosts, Ive spooked many, figuring theyd go 100 yards and look back, but they disappear into the bush.
Old 10-31-2017, 12:19 AM

They put those big dumb ears to work, even in a strong wind and me approaching downwind they hear (sense) something is up. Then there is the issue that they always seem to bed in groups and have eyes checking every direction.

Even the open country I hunt they vanish without a trace once they’re spooked.

They can be a tricky quarry but the most fun bow hunt I can think of, it’s not usually too tough to find another deer and make another plan.

Keep at it, it will pay off.
Old 10-31-2017, 05:31 AM
Banned

my first big game animal with my bow happened this year, r years in. Shot skunks, gophers, and rabbits but nothing big until this year. I had chances and took what I thought were great shots at great opportunities. I had animals duck the string, I put my arrow into a fence wire (what are the odds of that at 30 yards?), and just straight up missed. Heading out again tomorrow until Saturday to see what else we can do.
Old 10-31-2017, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
Lets be clear, I could have taken many whitetail does but have chosen not to. With more then a month left in rifle season I felt no need to take a whitetail. Although I seen the biggest buck of my life at 107 yards with no way to get closer.(He was in the middle of a field) Hunting mulies is over and goes to draw on November 1st. I guess the good thing about the bow is that Ive had 2 more months to hunt which was fun. But in saying that I hunted hard the last two months and Im coming home with nothing. Pretty frustrating to put in a ton of miles and time to not bring anything home. This is despite seeing plenty of game in the 100-150 yard range. Which is why I want to see how everyone does. If I stick with it, will I get to a point were I have a pretty good chance of harvesting an animal. Or is it more for getting out in the wilderness and relaxing? I dont mind paying my dues, i just want it to pay off in the end.
Play the wind and set up on travel routes. Use trail cameras to determine what routes are being used the most. If you set up on the edge of a large field, there are probably multiple exit/entry points for that field that the deer can use. Get on google maps and find the pinch point that leads to the field. I have 1 property in the Edmonton bow zone which after 4 years, I finally have a good idea of their primary travel route. There is also a fair amount of odds and luck in the equation, so if will happen eventually. Just stick with it and the end result will be worth it.
Old 10-31-2017, 08:04 AM

first year on a property, consider it a wash. If you get the opportunity on a animal its a bonus. Pay close attention and see how the animals use the land features.

I hunt at least 30 mornings evenings a season and multiple full days in november. before kids more then that. I have 7 animals in 6 yrs so far. I pass on many animals a year being smaller young bucks, does with fawns,cow moose with calf and so on. I passed on a 1.5yr moose on sunday.

a animal in range is all I need to consider the outing. The shot is just the next step. That being said, its not for everyone.

bowhunting is my passion and dont pick up a rifle all year.

So excited for rutting deer season!
Old 10-31-2017, 11:20 AM

Off the top of my head...first season with a bow, I called in a bull moose to about 60 yards, no shot, and had no success on the land I had permission to hunt. 0% success rate

The next season, I killed a mule doe on opening day, and a whitetail buck (163") the next day. I went on to arrow a 40" bull moose that fall and killed another doe in November.

That was the first 2 years. I was stoked. I learned you only get out of it what you put into it. I went on to kill 7 more moose over the next 10 year period, 1 other buck that grossed in the 170" bracket - and countless other deer, and a couple bears.
In that span, I can think of (1) year, when I turned down 11 bucks through October, spent well over 30 total sits in the stand, only to arrow a spike buck on the last day i could hunt. To date I consider this my best success with a bow to be honest! So yes, success on hunt is what you make of it.

However, now with kids, living where I do, I put in appox 17 total days through the past (2) Novembers, and my success rate has been 0!!! lol

I use AO forum for the motivation, as I know if i stick with it it'll come back. Eventually. I am also thinking about cheating and using a gun this fall in the interest of necessity. But I won't include it in my success rate.
Old 10-31-2017, 12:23 PM

If you're bow hunting strictly for the harvest, I think you are missing the point.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 10-31-2017, 05:35 PM

Default Success rate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrown View Post
If you're bow hunting strictly for the harvest, I think you are missing the point.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

I see what your trying to say . But IMO I don’t think I would hunt if there was no chance of bringing meat home . It’s like catch and release fishing .i don’t see the point . I’m to busy to not do anything productive.
Old 10-31-2017, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MugEye View Post
I see what your trying to say . But IMO I don’t think I would hunt if there was no chance of bringing meat home . It’s like catch and release fishing .i don’t see the point . I’m to busy to not do anything productive.
I guess it all depends on your personal definition of productive.

Thomas Sowell
Old 10-31-2017, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
I guess it all depends on your personal definition of productive.
Exactly.
Old 10-31-2017, 06:27 PM

Rifle to archery to rifle, I still do both.

Archery with in our budget is good.

Lots of rifle now days, but archery remains as it offers rewards like no other.

Self + archery = good times.

I never had the chance to meet Al personally, but it was his ideas that forced me to learn more about who I am.

http://www.archeryhalloffame.com/henderson%20al.html

Don
Old 10-31-2017, 06:30 PM

Sons first moose draw, first time as an archer. I'm the guide. Boy we had fun this fall so far. Many bull moose on cam, many sightings, many games with grunting moose but just too far away. Now the bow goes away and rifle comes out and those 50 inchers we had at 200 yrds are a little less safe. But it is safe to say we both got the archery bug now.

Fun times with the bow and really fine tuned what I knew for hunting all these years. Kid learned a lot. So did I.

Best chance we had, very early, very hot. Close but lots of under brush. Let him walk as we had many bigger bulls on cam and the rut was just showing itself. Have now seen 3 of the big boys we were after but never close enough. 30 days to still find one of them

jpg.gif Mr Moose.jpg (91.5 KB)

Last edited by jungleboy; 01-01-2024 at 09:41 AM.
Old 10-31-2017, 08:19 PM

Last year was my first year bow hunting. There were times that i was frustrated and times where I debated giving up. Being hard headed i stuck it out. I ended up getting my buck on the second to last day of the season. This year so far I've come up empty handed. I've hunted hard since the beginning of bow season. Got busted on a few spot and stalks. I enjoy just being out in the wilderness. I'll keep trying till the end of hunting season. Fingers crossed that it comes together again. Good luck. I would keep at it.

Now I look around and wonder if I like them!
Old 11-01-2017, 09:38 PM

Just put my bow away after my 3rd season. Put in 22 days this year with it. Drew on many WT does, and a couple spike bucks, never released the arrow. I have yet to harvest a big game animal with bow to this day. I have every year gained success in my opinion however as I get more and more opportunities year after year. Just havnt had the animals that I like to harvest within range. I in no way am a trophy hunter, but I do like to give animals the chance to grow past spiker stage, and my area has no supplemental tag for WT so I like to use the does as practice stalks and draws. Anyways, if you absolutely love and obsess about bow, stick with it. If you don’t, and you like the higher probability of harvesting I don’t think anyone here will judge you for putting it away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-01-2017, 11:03 PM

Success ....one deer a year for the last 15 years give or take. Some years aren more than one, a couple years, nothing, Most with traditional gear. I've only shot two with the compound and only because I couldn't shoot the longbow those times because of physical requirements. I gotta say a compound is much easier, but it doesn't tickle my soul like a longbow.
Old 11-02-2017, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarky View Post
Just put my bow away after my 3rd season. Put in 22 days this year with it. Drew on many WT does, and a couple spike bucks, never released the arrow. I have yet to harvest a big game animal with bow to this day. I have every year gained success in my opinion however as I get more and more opportunities year after year. Just havnt had the animals that I like to harvest within range. I in no way am a trophy hunter, but I do like to give animals the chance to grow past spiker stage, and my area has no supplemental tag for WT so I like to use the does as practice stalks and draws. Anyways, if you absolutely love and obsess about bow, stick with it. If you don’t, and you like the higher probability of harvesting I don’t think anyone here will judge you for putting it away.

Well said and keep at it!

Old 11-02-2017, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Draw on every potential animal that you can harvest, doesn't mean you have to
take the shot. It makes you more comfortable when it comes down to actually threading the needle, and gives you experience's such as different angled shots on vitals and learning to draw and letoff on your bow while being silent. All experiences are learning experiences….
Old 11-02-2017, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Anzac View Post
Draw on every potential animal that you can harvest, doesn't mean you have to
take the shot. It makes you more comfortable when it comes down to actually threading the needle, and gives you experience's such as different angled shots on vitals and learning to draw and letoff on your bow while being silent. All experiences are learning experiences….
Thanks, never really thought about drawing on every animal. Will be doing it next year if I decide to keep at it. Which I probably will since it gives me so many more oppotunities to get out. Will probably not focus so much on it though and take a few trips up north to ensure I get a couple deer in the freezer.
Old 11-02-2017, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Thanks, never really thought about drawing on every animal. Will be doing it next year if I decide to keep at it. Which I probably will since it gives me so many more oppotunities to get out. Will probably not focus so much on it though and take a few trips up north to ensure I get a couple deer in the freezer.
Make sure you don't punch the trigger!

LC