Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-19-2012, 05:30 PM

Default Coyote calls, whats working for you?

Spent an afternoon out calling dogs, and couldn't get one to come in for me. I am pretty sure it isn't my technique, but that the dogs are educated in the area. I know they are present, as the spots I called in were full of tracks, and i know the area well.

I am thinking it is time to switch up sounds. I have been pretty successful the past few years with a small variety of cottontail/jackrabbit closed reed calls, but not this year.

Just thought i would put it out there and see what calls are working for you guys.
Old 01-19-2012, 05:34 PM

Fox in distress is the only thing that has worked for me since x-mas an worked well.
Wish I could remember the camera to post pics
Old 01-19-2012, 05:45 PM

Default Sceery something or other

I picked up a new sceery call I cant remember what number it is but it is MUCH better then my raspy coaxer I have my raspy coaxer I will use only for its mouse sqeaker, untill I figure out how to attach my actual mouse squeaker to my gun then Ill just toss the darn thing
Old 01-19-2012, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitscoty Bear Slayer(KBS) View Post
Fox in distress is the only thing that has worked for me since x-mas an worked well.
Wish I could remember the camera to post pics
Fox in distress??? I may have to ask you if you dont mind to pm your call list. Im new to the yote game and I only have a jackrabbit in distress and a mouse squeaker.......... If you dont mind if so congrats on bringing a few in hehehe
Old 01-19-2012, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winger7mm View Post
Fox in distress??? I may have to ask you if you dont mind to pm your call list. Im new to the yote game and I only have a jackrabbit in distress and a mouse squeaker.......... If you dont mind if so congrats on bringing a few in hehehe
PM anytime buddy!!
Jack rabbit in distress is my most favorite but sometimes you gotta change it up.
Old 01-19-2012, 06:39 PM

pm sent
Old 01-19-2012, 07:19 PM

Killed 4 today. Should have been 6!!

Called in 6 at once with the pup distress
Old 01-19-2012, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kale_M View Post
Killed 4 today. Should have been 6!!

Called in 6 at once with the pup distress
x2 .. sounds like we could have been hunting together..lol . We went 4 for 6 today too ..Hides still good thanx to this cold spell .. Raspy coaxer worked great til it froze up { first time for everything } I'm sure the success will drop when the cold snap breaks .
Old 01-19-2012, 08:19 PM

Default hand calls

i use the knight n' hale double threat- awesome call
also have a knight n' hale howler which works well
i bought the ruffie dawg which makes a good louad call for the wind but it can also do the pup distress.

my buddy has a sceery snowshoe in distress
and my third friend uses the knight n' hale thriple threat.

most of the calls are jack rabbit in distress calls, but i like the double and triple treat the most.

called in 12 coyotes this season with hand calls... been having some bad luck though because i only shot 3 of them... last year i was 6 for 6... i hate missing
Old 01-20-2012, 01:27 AM

Default custom calls

Hey guys I just found out about a custom Coyote call maker that makes excellent products, the website is Carver Calls, lots of different product and very reasonably priced for a custom product. I haven't got mine just yet but there is a long thread on gunnutz about these calls. FS
Old 01-20-2012, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faststeel View Post
Hey guys I just found out about a custom Coyote call maker that makes excellent products, the website is Carver Calls, lots of different product and very reasonably priced for a custom product. I haven't got mine just yet but there is a long thread on gunnutz about these calls. FS
mine should be here anyday!
Old 01-20-2012, 07:41 AM

After last weekend call freeze ups I went and purchase Primos mouth reeds and have been practicing all week with them in the cold, I look forward to trying them out tomorrow.
Old 01-20-2012, 07:57 AM
Banned

The evolution of the coyote is occuring real quick since the legalizing of electronic calls imo. They are way too smart to come in twice to hunters making a bunch of noise in the daylight. Traditionally, it has been my experince that they would come in on any distress call (not picky). Not no more...
Old 01-20-2012, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer Hunter View Post
The evolution of the coyote is occuring real quick since the legalizing of electronic calls imo. They are way too smart to come in twice to hunters making a bunch of noise in the daylight. Traditionally, it has been my experince that they would come in on any distress call (not picky). Not no more...
if they are not comming in then you are either overcalling that area, or someone else is, or you have shot at them and they associate that distress call as trouble. Give them time they will come around, or switch up the sound
Old 01-20-2012, 09:43 AM

That's why I have 9 different hand calls, each one won't work everytime you go out even if they hear it. Watch some Randy Anderson videos, some coyotes are just walking in cautiously then he switches calls and they start running.

Another thing to try would be an electronic decoy that can have sound coming out of it, I just got one and can't wait to try it.
Old 01-20-2012, 10:12 AM

I'll have to practice my calling...

Hopefully, I will have some luck - there are tracks going through my yard. Was nice to finally get some snow so that I can see what critters are coming near, and where.

www.SnakesonaPlain.ca
Old 01-21-2012, 08:59 AM

anyone having the reed calls freeze up? Mine kept freezing up on me yesterday in the cold , rabbit in distress wasn't working that day for me either . It has worked for me before though
Old 01-23-2012, 08:14 PM

Default open reed calls

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlin1 View Post
anyone having the reed calls freeze up? Mine kept freezing up on me yesterday in the cold , rabbit in distress wasn't working that day for me either . It has worked for me before though
same thing happens to me with my knight n' hale. thats usually when i switch to the ruffie dawg. sceery also has open reed calls, its about the only thing you can do after your call freezes.

i dont leave home withour all my calls. you can also use diaphram mouth calls to (like the ones for turkey hunting) i called in a couple coyotes in the spring when i lived in Ontario during turkey season. give the diaphram some good tounge pressure and say "wee" usually 6-9 tones starting high then getting lower, then start again. it works really good but not sure how far it actually reaches.