Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 08-13-2013, 02:59 PM

Default BOW HAND TORQUE –The 2nd Biggest Disaster !!...

BOW HAND TORQUE –The 2nd Biggest Disaster !!...

…Since the “Good buddy dry firing your bow”, syndrome that happens way to often this time of year…the number is up to five at my shop now this summer….

Torque-ing the bow by one’s self or someone else buddy or not is the second cause in numbers for destroyed bows this time of year…

The bow is torqued so badly that the string is de-railed or miss tracked from a cam or idler wheel…usually starts at top of bow, another good reason to have Idler lean or yoke tuning set.

Many will what we call “white knuckle” the bow, or simply put grip the bow too hard, as they do so on draw the bow is torqued to the side causing the de-rail or miss track of the string.

The results are generally not as catastrophic as an actual dry fire but can result in seriously bent cams, broken strings and cables and on some design bows all the above almost to the point of an all out dry fire.

Regardless the end result will cost time and money,…some brand bows three or four weeks for parts, not something anyone wants right now…

So how do we prevent it…???...First as my other recent post don’t let others draw your bow period, even best friends,… [the highest % of dry fires this time of year] ..lol

The second is for shooters new to the bow hunting/archery world to learn a relaxed grip when drawing bow, invest in a bow sling, cheap insurance and a super cheap tool when used correctly…

The bow hand should be limp as soon as pressure is put on string, bow grip on meaty part of thumb in palm of hand and knuckles at a 45 degree to the bow…

I instruct new shooter to tuck their two smaller fingers on the left side of the grip [RH shooter] and with that relaxed grip and fingers tucked their knuckles’ will be at a 45 degree angle…

The relaxed grip is practised to an exaggerated follow thru...don’t grip bow until arrow hits target [20 yards]…not only does this eliminate bow torque and the miss track of strings …but this method increases accuracy to a perfection…

Neil
Old 08-13-2013, 03:07 PM

A good read thanks for the tip!
Old 08-13-2013, 03:15 PM

Neil is the best there is in the bow advice category....The Bow Master Jedi Knight!
Old 08-14-2013, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.O.S.T.Arrow View Post

The relaxed grip is practised to an exaggerated follow thru...don’t grip bow until arrow hits target [20 yards]…not only does this eliminate bow torque and the miss track of strings …but this method increases accuracy to a perfection…

Neil
Neil, great post!!!! Thanks for the reminder - only those that own their own bows get to touch my bow....

And with regards to your above statement, this is very easily accomplished with a wrist sling (even though many think they don't want/need one)

J.
Old 08-14-2013, 07:57 AM
Banned

Default thanks for the tips -- curious

When buying a used bow - are there any signs this has occurred (DRY Fire) ?
Old 08-14-2013, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrayford View Post
Neil, great post!!!! Thanks for the reminder - only those that own their own bows get to touch my bow....

And with regards to your above statement, this is very easily accomplished with a wrist sling (even though many think they don't want/need one)

J.

What JC said.........

Neil
Old 08-15-2013, 08:54 AM

Good info for those learning to shoot. I've been shooting my bow for close to 15 years and never once dry fired it, and I have pretty good technique. However I HAVE once had a friend dry fire my bow - even after explaining to him the potential consequences of doing it! I'm sure the "my friend did it" excuse is used by many to avoid embarrassment at the archery shop, but it does actually happen.
Old 08-15-2013, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBD View Post
When buying a used bow - are there any signs this has occurred (DRY Fire) ?
While I'm not a bow technician, I would think that just looking at a bow without disassembling it, it would be hard to tell if it's been through a dry-fire (unless you have detailed knowledge on the bow ie: exact shape of cam etc.)

Best to take the used bow to your local pro-shop and have them give it a once-over.... Plus, in doing that you'll create a report with the pro-shop and get one-on-one service, which is in most cases better than asking us keyboard jockeys?

J.
Old 08-15-2013, 12:52 PM

Thanks for this info Neil. Will come in handy for sure.
Old 06-04-2015, 01:14 PM

As Discussed...

Neil
Old 06-04-2015, 01:46 PM

another thread that should be a sticky
Bohning Staff shooter
Stan Releases Pro Staff