Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-18-2018, 08:01 AM

Default Tell me which sonar/GPS to get for my boat

I'm not that knowledgeable on these.

I want a simple model with decent screen and is easy to use.

Thanks
Old 08-18-2018, 09:04 AM

Humminbird Helix 5 is probably the best basic unit you can get, and it won't break the bank either. You can also pop them off their mount on the boat, and zip tie it to a plastic tool box with a battery inside, and presto you have a perfect ice fishing rig. Works like a dream.

You can get the basic model, or deck it out with a Generation 2 unit with all sorts of mapping capabilities / scanning options. To get those options you may have to purchase a different transducer, and I'm sure other board memebers will chime in with their favorite set ups.

The nice thing about most units nowadays (even Lowrance and Garmin) is you can make them as complicated or as simple as you want

You can run a basic Helix 5 out of the box and find depth, structure and even mark fish pretty well with little to no fine tuning. Once you master the basics, you could look into software upgrades / upgrading the transducer to all sorts of different things to get down-scan, side scan, live mapping, etc etc. But to me you are better off starting simple and working your way up.

The Lowrance equivalent of the Humminbird Helix 5 is the Elite 5 and they are pretty comparable units at the base level, at that point it is personal preference.

Hope this helps, feel free to shoot a PM!
Old 08-18-2018, 10:22 AM

I’ve casted my vote for Garmin a few times on here in the past. I currently have a 4 year old, mid-range Echomap series Garmin unit. At the time it cost me $400 and it is a sonar and chartplotter combo. It doesn’t have chirp or sidescan but has the QuickDraw contour feature for making your own maps. Which is awesome (and free).

I plan to upgrade next year to another Garmin... but with a Chirp/side scanning transducer and a bit bigger screen. Entry level side scanning Garmin units are about $700-800 roughly.

I might consider giving up the side scanning, to save $200, but we will see.

I also need a new bow mount trolling motor one of these days.. and I noticed that Minnkotas iPilot link is compatible with Humminbird. I haven’t looked into it in detail, but a feature like that would cause me to pause and consider Humminbird for my next unit. But I need to research it more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-18-2018, 05:00 PM

I run the Lowrance Elite 4X Chirp on both my yaks and love them. Inexpensive and they do more than I need them to.
Keep an eye on Canadian Tire, they will be putting the electronics on clearance getting close to fall.
Do a little research on the ones in your price range, with Cabela's, BassPro and Crap Tire paying minimum wage, the sales associates won't know all the "bells and whistles" of the different units. I worked at Cabela's, and you were expected to study all the information on the electrics on your own time, not on company time
Good luck
JH
Old 08-19-2018, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenSights View Post
I'm not that knowledgeable on these.

I want a simple model with decent screen and is easy to use.

Thanks

That’s a loaded question, yet you did narrow it down somewhat. Importantly is what you want from a unit. Just depth and structure? Actually mark fish with confidence?
It’s a Pandora’s box for most of us. The more you know, the more unsure you get. The good news is, as already mentioned, if you just want a basic unit, you really can’t go wrong. Screen size and resolution are what really sets the prices on these, and resolution and size means more than you might first think.
If your looking for something simple, a used older one will do. Sonars have entered a new level in the past few years with side and down imaging. GPS has dimensions now in that you can chart-plot, have contours for lakes onboard, make and edit your own maps, and more.
I’m guessing this is all more than you care to know, yet it’s a kin to asking what car you should buy, Ford, GM or dodge? Go to a store and watch the demo screens, play with the buttons and spend some time on YouTube if you want something tailored to your needs, and no regrets after buying.
Old 08-19-2018, 08:50 AM

Without a budget it’s hard to tell you.

Lowrance Hook2 in many different sizes and transducer styles depending on your wants.

Easy to use with full auto mode, easy install with everything you need to install it and lots of options. Full auto mode so it’s just plug and play. $130 and up depending on model
Old 08-19-2018, 09:31 AM

I am a Hbird owner and very happy with it. I would suggest going with a 5 inch screen size minimum. This allows you to get a good view if you run split screens. The smaller ones are hard to see whats going on. When in the biz lots came in looking for a different unit that went small and low budget. Unit worked ok but hard to see. Buy it once and be done.