Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-27-2020, 08:40 AM

What I don’t understand is the local butcher (3 in the area) all slaughter cattle but their prices have gone up also. For example, i normally get brisket for about $5-6/lb. Last week it was $6.89-8/lb. I might not understand the process but if a local rancher is selling his cattle direct to the butcher (and everybody is saying local beef is cheaper) shouldn’t the butcher prices be somewhat the same? I understand prices will increase but why are specific cuts going up if their supply chain hasn’t been interrupted?
Old 05-27-2020, 08:46 AM

It's the same as anything else, they charge what they want and because sales are down prices go up. When sales are up prices go up. We cant win.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 05-27-2020, 08:51 AM

I always say its the butcher shops making the coin, farmers don't make out so good. Take a roll of kubi @ $8.00 some up to $15.00 at some stores, no damn way its costs anywhere near that maybe $1.50 at best to make.
Old 05-27-2020, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastoff View Post
I always say its the butcher shops making the coin, farmers don't make out so good. Take a roll of kubi @ $8.00 some up to $15.00 at some stores, no damn way its costs anywhere near that maybe $1.50 at best to make.
But, just like everywhere, they mention overhead to justify the pricing.

And to a point it's true, but it is like every bag full of meat has to cover

deep breath....

liability insurance WCB phones power internet bandaids nat gas wages materials spices cutting blocks cutting boards knives employer deductions computer upgrades IT antivirus updates workers insurance advertising bathroom supplies cleaning supplies clothing allowance oil changes in company trucks, tires, truck payments, fuel, insurance for company vehicles....

and any of 1100 other things that get written off as company expense

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 05-27-2020, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cook View Post
I'm hoarding Rum and beer, oh and some gin because nothing says summer like a tall ice cold gin and tonic with a slice of lime. Just in case there is a run on the liquor store.
If you can afford a lime by summer. lmao

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper1 View Post
Buddy sees different market signals than I do. Packing plants North America wide; Pork, chicken, beef, re-opening with staff back to work.

Fruit & vegetable farmers Canada & US able to source farm workers.

Large supply of cattle, hogs, broilers, milk & dairy products.

Fuel supply large & cheap for transport.

Wholesalers & retailers have taught consumers how much to pay today, so I don't see much decrease unless the recession is deeper than predicted.

Any increase, much less 40%, seems a stretch today.
Contracts are being renegotiated for the next quarter now. The change in value of the USD along with a few other variables will have food prices going up.
Old 05-27-2020, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amosfella View Post

Contracts are being renegotiated for the next quarter now. The change in value of the USD along with a few other variables will have food prices going up.
I'm thinking, if the second wave theory is sound, all bets are off.

Grizz
Old 05-27-2020, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Why is he concerned about bouvry? I thought bouvry was just export horse meat? Haha maybe they do cows now too?
Old 05-27-2020, 02:37 PM

Default Meat

Quote:
Originally Posted by W921 View Post
Why is he concerned about bouvry? I thought bouvry was just export horse meat? Haha maybe they do cows now too?
Not sure about beef, but I think they do buffaloes
Old 05-27-2020, 02:50 PM

Default Food

Beef prices seemed to be up about 30% today at our local store, and a few different types of fruits and vegetables were not in stock.
Old 05-27-2020, 07:09 PM

Quote:

Our dollar is climbing steadily. Meat should be cheaper. ( ha ha ha)

Old 05-27-2020, 09:17 PM

Quote:

There is no doubt whatsoever there will be more supply, all 3 proteins are back to 70-80% of pre-covid production. Remember when it was zero ?

The US thinks their cattle harvest will be 600,000 weekly by month's end, western Canada close to 35,000 weekly.

Pork processors re-opening & ramping up, supply will grow.

The only way prices will stay high with that much production will be unprecedented export demand or locals hoarding at the highest price possible.

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 05-27-2020, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper1 View Post
There is no doubt whatsoever there will be more supply, all 3 proteins are back to 70-80% of pre-covid production. Remember when it was zero ?

The US thinks their cattle harvest will be 600,000 weekly by month's end, western Canada close to 35,000 weekly.

Pork processors re-opening & ramping up, supply will grow.

The only way prices will stay high with that much production will be unprecedented export demand or locals hoarding at the highest price possible.
It depends on what the market price was when the last contracts for delivery of food were negotiated and signed. It will likely stay at that price for the next quarter or a bit longer. It's not like fuel prices where those contracts are done weekly.
Old 05-28-2020, 06:08 AM

Some smoking deals on Pork out there. Superstore has pork picnic on for .98lb. Co op has pork loins for 1.99lb, pork picnic for 1.99lb. Co op even has a decent price on beef, brisket or eye of round for 4.99lb.

Thomas Sowell
Old 05-28-2020, 08:31 AM
Banned

I had customers walk in yesterday complaining on one of the stores in town selling exact same product for 7.50$ more than what my price is. Another alarming thing is they are selling it by piece instead by weight. I know for a fact there is only one supplier within CAnada for it, and price did not go up.

I just gained about dozen customers.
Old 05-28-2020, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeprli View Post
I had customers walk in yesterday complaining on one of the stores in town selling exact same product for 7.50$ more than what my price is. Another alarming thing is they are selling it by piece instead by weight. I know for a fact there is only one supplier within CAnada for it, and price did not go up.

I just gained about dozen customers.
What was it and where are you?

Old 05-28-2020, 03:56 PM
Banned

Just a salami stick from central europe. My store is in Calgary. Not a sponsor of this forum so no advertising on my part.
Old 05-28-2020, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W921 View Post
Bouvry slaughtering 200~ daily, trying to go 6 days a week. Not big players but slaughter margins are very healthy & the industry needs the cattle gone.

Old 05-28-2020, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Some smoking deals on Pork out there. Superstore has pork picnic on for .98lb. Co op has pork loins for 1.99lb, pork picnic for 1.99lb. Co op even has a decent price on beef, brisket or eye of round for 4.99lb.
Blasphemy! Lol.

That's a significant price reduction, and there's more to come.

May 20 USDA Choice composite primals $404.04
May 27 USDA Choice composite primals $377.77

That's $26.27 US dollars or about 6.5% LESS in a week.

Old 05-28-2020, 10:05 PM

Quote:
It depends on what the market price was when the last contracts for delivery of food were negotiated and signed. It will likely stay at that price for the next quarter or a bit longer. It's not like fuel prices where those contracts are done weekly.
Not completely accurate. Depending on market conditions and seasonality, can be as much as 20-40% of beef sold on the 'spot' market, which is 0-21 days delivery.

If the slaughter rate continues to increase, and packing plant utilization create efficiency, and there's a surplus of beef wholesalers need to move, retailers will feature beef aggressively. Father's Day is coming, beef will be a big mover!

With the backlog of proteins NA wide, if the product doesn't move at today's price, the price will come down significantly.

Old 05-29-2020, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Just a salami stick from central europe. My store is in Calgary. Not a sponsor of this forum so no advertising on my part.
Are you importing groceries from Europe? I am looking for something but Edelweiss is always out of stock. Trying to find it at other places but so far no luck...

"If life is tough, it's time to get stronger!" - Joel Runyon (reminder to myself)
Old 05-29-2020, 07:27 AM

Quote:
As long as there is no price spike on Pick.
Then I would go into withdrawal.
I harvest the skin to inoculate my home made runs.
Old 05-29-2020, 08:06 AM

pretty crazy but it is expected
Old 05-29-2020, 08:08 AM
Banned

I don't import directly, very few companies in calgary do.

Let me know what you are after, maybe i know of a supplier who stocks item you are after.

Omega 50, you are a smart and resourceful man. One skin of pick salami has enough bacterial culture to utilize in 100lb of homemade salami, blooms quick with a very distinct flavour. Olds college started a program of inoculating different bacterial cultures for food processing, hopefully some good comes out of that. We are too reliant on overseas suppliers.
Old 05-29-2020, 08:22 AM

Quote:

Let me know what you are after, maybe i know of a supplier who stocks item you are after.

Omega 50, you are a smart and resourceful man. One skin of pick salami has enough bacterial culture to utilize in 100lb of homemade salami, blooms quick with a very distinct flavour. Olds college started a program of inoculating different bacterial cultures for food processing, hopefully some good comes out of that. We are too reliant on overseas suppliers.
I am the creepy guy that keeps 2 ziplocks in my suit jacket when presented with an opportunity to enjoy a Charcuterie Board when fine dining.One for meat and the other pocket for cheese.

I slip bits and pieces into my pockets when no one is looking and rush home to culture.
Not sure about smart and resourceful, but I certainly am frugal and try to
find and see the value in what most people discard.

Been trained to relentlessly seek out and extract flavor wherever it might exist.
I always buy sausage ends when I can find them packaged at a discount.
Been doing that since the late 80's

Last edited by omega50; 05-29-2020 at 08:39 AM.
Old 05-29-2020, 10:08 AM

Quote:

I am looking for a special vinegar:
https://edelweissimports.com/product...urken-meister/

I would buy a case or so for sure.

Thanks!

"If life is tough, it's time to get stronger!" - Joel Runyon (reminder to myself)
Old 05-29-2020, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
He said food. I would assume everything
So Hawkins Cheezies might fall under this price hike????
Old 05-29-2020, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post
So Hawkins Cheezies might fall under this price hike????
Again, broad spectrum. All.

I am still trying to find out what a Charcuterie Board is....

Old 05-29-2020, 10:36 AM

Quote:

Fancy term for a board with sliced meat and cheese selection on it.

As far as prices, they are up a lot already according to my wife and they will keep jacking them as long as they can get away with it. I have no trouble believing we will see a spike for a while.
Old 05-29-2020, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Fancy term for a board with sliced meat and cheese selection on it.

As far as prices, they are up a lot already according to my wife and they will keep jacking them as long as they can get away with it. I have no trouble believing we will see a spike for a while.
Lol yep, found it but thank you!

When they open borders again I can see a lot of people shopping south. We were sickened to see prices in Montana compared to here on lots of stuff. I always picked up a block of cheese for a friend, only ever found it there and in Idaho, was $4. Just comparable size here $14. Tillamook cheese, nice stuff.

Old 05-29-2020, 12:01 PM

Quote:

Well that is quite the coincidence! My other half just ordered one in from Wayfair for her Mom last week. Before then I never heard of them. Lol