Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-28-2024, 09:50 AM

Default 410 over under. Best one for the money

Hey there,

Can i please get some opinions and experiences on 410 over unders. Brand and model. I want go get one for my grandpa because of the weight and low recoil with a bad shoulder. It will be on the lower end of the price scale and i dont mind used. Lets say $500-$900.

Thank you,
Old 04-28-2024, 10:10 AM

In the $1000, and under range, selection is pretty much limited to Turkish made guns like Huglu or Yildiz, or maybe a Savage. Personally, I would look at a 20 or 28 gauge gas operated semi auto like the Mossberg SA20, or SA28. The gas operated guns are very soft recoil wise, and the 20 or 28 gauge is far superior to a 410 for hunting. For ground swatting grouse , aim high, and you will have less shot in the meat than shooting a 410 center mass. And 20 and 28 gauge ammunition is much easier to find, and at more reasonable prices than 410.
Old 04-28-2024, 10:14 AM

Have a look at the Karl shotguns at Swamp donkey in Edmonton . He had a few O&U around $500.
Old 04-28-2024, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
Have a look at the Karl shotguns at Swamp donkey in Edmonton . He had a few O&U around $500.
I would only consider Kral , if you want the absolute cheapest, and don't care about whether there will be parts available .
Old 04-28-2024, 11:08 AM

I feel for those who use .410’s.

The firearms are no cheaper than 12’s or 20’s, sometimes even more expensive.

The ammunition is gawd awful to find, and costs double or more compared to 12 or 20…….

And the latest knock off brand of shotguns, have every bugaboo you can imagine, like varied QA and QC, lack of parts, troublesome warranties, you name it.

Invest in a PAST shooting pad, fit the shotgun properly, with a whiz bang type recoil pad, and use reduced payload, and velocity shells, is by far a cheaper direction to go.

There are no absolutes
Old 04-28-2024, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
I feel for those who use .410’s.

The firearms are no cheaper than 12’s or 20’s, sometimes even more expensive.

The ammunition is gawd awful to find, and costs double or more compared to 12 or 20…….

And the latest knock off brand of shotguns, have every bugaboo you can imagine, like varied QA and QC, lack of parts, troublesome warranties, you name it.

Invest in a PAST shooting pad, fit the shotgun properly, with a whiz bang type recoil pad, and use reduced payload, and velocity shells, is by far a cheaper direction to go.
The simple truth, is that the 410 is the most over rated shotgun by far. The recoil is less than a similar 28 gauge of the same type, but a gas operated 28 gauge is very little more than a 410 single or manual action. And the 28 gauge is much more effective on game than a 410. I shoot thousands of 410 every year at skeet, but I only need a couple of #9 pellets to break a clay at skeet ranges. I shoot a lot of upland birds with the 28 gauge, out to over 40 yards, whereas a 410 pattern, is barely adequate at 25 yards.
Old 04-28-2024, 12:04 PM

Smile 28 ga.!

I saw you shoot a rooster at over 80 yards with your 28 ga. and I am a believer so why not give away your 28 ga. and buy another one for yourself?

A good word for the poor old .410. At 15 yards I haven't missed yet. I reload and use 'lil gun powder and #4 shot and the roosters love it. Mine is a sxs and it is not especially light but it was free so no complaints.
Old 04-28-2024, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by densa44 View Post
I saw you shoot a rooster at over 80 yards with your 28 ga. and I am a believer so why not give away your 28 ga. and buy another one for yourself?

A good word for the poor old .410. At 15 yards I haven't missed yet. I reload and use 'lil gun powder and #4 shot and the roosters love it. Mine is a sxs and it is not especially light but it was free so no complaints.
I have cleanly taken wild roosters with 28ga red label at 55yds, on both occasions I need the full choke in the 2nd barrel to finish what the modified choke did not...I would say the square loads with xtended forcing cones and backbored chokes punch way above their weight...the 80yd shot you mention is an outlier and one of those golden BB shots..did u pace or laser the range...I am skeptical...
Old 04-28-2024, 12:39 PM

Quote:

I have shot roosters at over 50 yards wirh the 28, but nowhere near 80 yards. I did kill chukars at around 65 yards with my 16 gauge during dog testing, but I only shot because we were testing.
Old 04-28-2024, 03:36 PM

Many years ago I was doing a lot of shotgunning , trap ,
Skeet , sporting clay and bird shooting ( migratory and upland ). I managed to find a couple of Winchester model 42 410 s and tried them in the field . That was an exercise in frustration !! As suggested you are better off with a semi in 28 or 20ga.

In my opinion 410 is good for shooting magpies off the dog’s dish .
Old 04-28-2024, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fps plus View Post
Many years ago I was doing a lot of shotgunning , trap ,
Skeet , sporting clay and bird shooting ( migratory and upland ). I managed to find a couple of Winchester model 42 410 s and tried them in the field . That was an exercise in frustration !! As suggested you are better off with a semi in 28 or 20ga.

In my opinion 410 is good for shooting magpies off the dog’s dish .
410's usually give 15" pattern on the skeet fields... so with a mod or full I would think 25 yds max
Old 04-28-2024, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stob View Post
410's usually give 15" pattern on the skeet fields... so with a mod or full I would think 25 yds max
I shot several sharptails on the wing in the 1970s, with a 410, and a hunting partner shot a couple of dozen released pheasants with a 410, over the last few years, and 25 yards is about max. I enjoy the 410 for skeet, but I much prefer the 28 gauge for hunting.
Old 04-29-2024, 09:25 AM

Smile I believe in skepticism

My dog had pointed 2 pheasants, I shot one (less than 15 yards) and the one that Elk was to shoot, flew up and headed north he didn't shoot, he told me later that there was a house down range (yes there was 1,000 yards away). Well the bird turned and flew back past him and he shot and killed it in the air. My dog made the 88 yard retrieve. I had to walk over to where he was standing and hand him his bird.

He is an excellent shot and I don't think that range means all that much when he is shooting.
Old 04-29-2024, 10:13 AM

Quote:
My dog had pointed 2 pheasants, I shot one (less than 15 yards) and the one that Elk was to shoot, flew up and headed north he didn't shoot, he told me later that there was a house down range (yes there was 1,000 yards away). Well the bird turned and flew back past him and he shot and killed it in the air. My dog made the 88 yard retrieve. I had to walk over to where he was standing and hand him his bird.

He is an excellent shot and I don't think that range
means all that much when he is shooting.
You are going to have to get a rangefinder.lol ,the house was around 300 yards across the road, and the rooster was more like 50 yards.
Old 04-29-2024, 10:32 AM

Thanks for opinions so far. Kind of considering 28g semi, but assuming it will push my budget higher. Have to take a look. Still open to suggestions.
Old 04-29-2024, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishwhere View Post
Thanks for opinions so far. Kind of considering 28g semi, but assuming it will push my budget higher. Have to take a look. Still open to suggestions.
The Mossberg SA28 runs right around $900