Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-17-2014, 12:57 PM

Default Any AO members in Calgary with a 1964-1968 Winchester Model 70

I'm looking at buying a 1966 Win Model 70 in 30-06 as my first hunting rifle, but would probably get it shipped.

I was hoping to hold one and check one out for fit before buying, so I'm wondering if there is anyone in the Calgary area who has one made in the 1964-1968 range that I could meet up with?

Thanks!
Old 09-17-2014, 07:36 PM

A note regarding that vintage model 70 is that for a few decades Winchester went to a different action, transitioning away from the controlled-round-feed of the Mauser style action to a push-feed action more resembling that of the Remington model 700. They don't seem to be as popular among the Winchester purists, and seem to have a little softer reception for resale value. It's in all likelihood a perfectly serviceable firearm, I'm just noting to you there's a difference; you'll hear the phrase "pre-'64 action" in regards to Winchester model 70's quite a bit. Winchester has returned to manufacturing the more well loved "pre-'64" action on the Model 70's, so that might be a bit of a testament to which has proven more popular in the marketplace.
Old 09-18-2014, 06:10 AM

The push feed M70 that followed the pre-64 action was not very popular and changes were made to the action in 1968 to address some of these issues.
An anti bind lug was added to the bolt and an anti bind groove to the receiver to make the action smoother and less binding. A steel floor plate was added but the alloy trigger guard/floor plate hinge was retained and the riveted mag follower was changed to a stainless steel follower with a more conventional fastening system to the spring.
The 1966 M70 should be one of these models with out the anti bind feature although after market mag followers and bottom metal could be retrofitted. They generally bring less money but I've owned a couple of them over the years and they are very much still a functional rifle.
Old 09-20-2014, 07:51 PM

Although the 1966 Winchester might be considered to be one of the "worst of the worst" by Model 70 fans, it is a functional rifle which will probably shoot very well. I wouldn't give a lot of money for one but I did use one of these actions on one of my better shooting "F" class rifles. Leeper
Old 09-21-2014, 07:30 AM

guy name Phil on here has your rifle im pretty sure ...i told him about this thread