Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-03-2010, 12:56 AM

Default why poach?

I got to wondering about poaching. After reading Pecker's thread about the changing of regs at PCR in April it raises some questions for me...most importantly...Why DO people poach..for the most part? Lotsa reasons spose. But for the most part...why?
feed the fam?
no license?
easier when no one else is lookin?
transferring fish at night?
they jus dont care...period?
bragging rights?
pictures?
Again, i say for the most part...Why?
What r ur thoughts on the subject all? There's TONS of fish out there, i jus don't get why somebody would even feel the need to poach unless there is more to them than one wants to know?
Cheers.
Old 02-03-2010, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishfinder View Post
I got to wondering about poaching. After reading Pecker's thread about the changing of regs at PCR in April it raises some questions for me...most importantly...Why DO people poach..for the most part? Lotsa reasons spose. But for the most part...why?
feed the fam?
no license?
easier when no one else is lookin?
transferring fish at night?
they jus dont care...period?
bragging rights?
pictures?
Again, i say for the most part...Why?
What r ur thoughts on the subject all? There's TONS of fish out there, i jus don't get why somebody would even feel the need to poach unless there is more to them than one wants to know?
Cheers.
Because they are idiots thats why????

A Good Friend told me,
Wind from the East fish bite the least, Wind from the West fish bite the best...
Old 02-03-2010, 05:19 AM

greed.
Old 02-03-2010, 07:14 AM

fish taste way better when they are poached especially walleye. I like to put them in a shallow pan with a bit of water in the bottom, raise the fillets just above the water, and let the steam do the rest.
Old 02-03-2010, 07:15 AM

morning,
Good topic, F.F.
I think that in most cases, greed sums it up."less work to get a bigger prize = yay for me!!"
Human motives are too crazy to put a single answer to it.A huge percentage of the people who poach just don't care ,IMO of course.They have the view that, "this won't do any harm",what's a couple extra fish, or an extra deer in the freezer,right ?
Problem is , you get hundreds,or thousands of people doing this, and the damage add's up quickly.Our natural resources are much to fragile to handle this broad scale abuse.
Like I said, a complicated subject as to why, as each person's motives are different,I'm sure.
Can't wait to hear what others have to say, waching the board will be a good way to spend my day off.
Thanx for listening(or reading I guess)
A good day to all
Ken
Old 02-03-2010, 07:23 AM

Some individuals don't want to follow orders/rules.... In reality, fishing/hunting rules are some of the easiest to break...

If you try telling some people they can have only 2 fish out of a lake, they'll want to stick it to the man and take 3, 4, etc...

I vehemently believe that for the most part if people are;
1) educated in outdoor sports & conservation

they therefore become...

2) invested in the system, and would have more respect for it...
Old 02-03-2010, 07:58 AM

they just dont care...period
Old 02-03-2010, 09:06 AM

Self-entitlement. I believe that most poachers are cut from the same cloth as those that drive on the shoulder to get past a line of traffic that has been waiting for quite some time.

Some people just believe that because they WANT something they will take it in spite of the fact that it may be illegal and/or others that also want the same thing are willing to go through the approriate channels to get that thing. It amounts to the theft of civil rights and is the first sign of chaos in a society.

I'm going to stop typing because the whole thought of it infuriates me.

cutthroat
Old 02-03-2010, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riderpride55 View Post
fish taste way better when they are poached especially walleye. I like to put them in a shallow pan with a bit of water in the bottom, raise the fillets just above the water, and let the steam do the rest.
Good one! sounds yummy
Thanx for the great replies all....
greed and lack of caring sounds about right the more i think about it.
Gr8 points sdimedru. Enjoy ur day off Gummy...why aint u fishn
Old 02-03-2010, 09:44 AM

from what I've seen it's because they feel it's there right to keep everything they catch to feed the home or lack of respect for authority which is too thin to be around everywhere all the time .
Old 02-03-2010, 09:49 AM

We should start that rant about the Asians poaching at PCR again. That was a great thread. Made me laugh my arse off.
Old 02-03-2010, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oagie View Post
greed.
X2 G R E E D ! ! ! !

Unless referring to cooking...then poached is healthier than fried...
Old 02-03-2010, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spopadyn View Post
We should start that rant about the Asians poaching at PCR again. That was a great thread. Made me laugh my arse off.

Greed comes in all shapes, sizes, color and sexes. No demographic is immune to having their low life thiefs. I have seen that personally at Lake Sundance.

Thankfully all demographics have way, way, way more honest, hardworking and outstanding citizens.

Catching the crooks...should never harm the honest!

Sun
Old 02-03-2010, 10:44 AM

Lack of respect , Wanting to Keep the fish for themselves , instead of playing by the rules . I dont care , what BS excuse you have to Why you purposely broke the laws just so you could keep a few fish ,These Laws set out to make things fair to everyone . Poaching is a very selfish thing . If you cant follow them dont even bother going out on the water , or ice , or in the field stay on the couch in front of the TV .

Why do these guys continue to be Repeat Offenders , The lack of penalty . Fish and Wildlife are out there busting there balls trying to catch these guys , having report a poacher hotlines so Law Abiding sportsmen , Can report these clowns . And then Once these Poachers are caught , Time to go to court the Judge doesnt have the audacity , or balls to lay down a severe Penalty .

This country has a bloody joke of a Justice system . To which protects the Criminals more then the Law Abiding people of it . Look at countrys with millions more people then Canada , They dont have the problems we do . They police themselves and take care of the trouble makers .
Old 02-03-2010, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spopadyn View Post
How the hell can you say that . ITs not just Asians . Ive seen Joe bob , the white guy wallk off with 2 full stringers of Walleye , and so did his kids , went back to there Campsite , Filleted them had a good feed ,went back out and got some more .
Old 02-03-2010, 11:09 AM

...and if we don't report them, then we become part of the problem ourselves.
Old 02-03-2010, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBADJOHN View Post
How the hell can you say that . ITs not just Asians . Ive seen Joe bob , the white guy wallk off with 2 full stringers of Walleye , and so did his kids , went back to there Campsite , Filleted them had a good feed ,went back out and got some more .
Easy big fella. I was refering to a previous thread where RedHeadedFisherman spotted Asian poachers at PCR and by simply referring to them as Asian he was flamed for 2 weeks (how dare you be prejudice!). Agreed, poachers come in all sizes and shapes.
Old 02-03-2010, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthroat666 View Post
Self-entitlement. I believe that most poachers are cut from the same cloth as those that drive on the shoulder to get past a line of traffic that has been waiting for quite some time.
I think this is the nail on the head. I have known a few poachers in my time and the excuse they give directly relates to SELF-ENTITLEMENT. It's there it's ours, it's Alberta, it's ours, I work hard for a living, if I have to pay then I get to keep it. Any of these sound familiar??
Old 02-03-2010, 12:05 PM

I pretty much fish once a year on a fly in fishin' trip (5 days)
most of my equipment is loaned to me and the trip is paid for by my employers, never have I been asked for a fishing license by the outfitters.

always buy a fishin' license because you are supposed to...nough said!
Old 02-03-2010, 01:12 PM

I just can't understand it either. If you work out the economics, it probably costs someone an average of $30 in gas alone to get somewhere fishing, more if they live in Calgary. You can buy a cleaned walleye at stupidstore or Costco for $10-14 plus it takes 10 min of driving time vs +1hr. But I'm guessing that poachers are generally that stupid anyways that they would have problems calculating 1+1....
Old 02-03-2010, 01:22 PM

because they have no respect for anyone else or our wildlife
Old 02-03-2010, 02:01 PM

ignorance!
Old 02-03-2010, 02:54 PM

It is nice to see such powerful emotion from y'all on the subject. Thanx for all the gr8 replies. Back to work i go, keep em coming
Cheers n Happy fishn!
Old 02-03-2010, 04:49 PM

Thumbs down Poaching

Some "cultures" are raised on fish and taught to take as much as you can when they can. I have had some "people" ask for perch that is 4 inches long while out fishing. Canada is a great country to move to but are laws do apply to all "people." Why this is happening because the country they lived in has pollution so bad that it makes the oilsands look like mud puddle. The irony is that the western life drives there economy.
Old 02-03-2010, 05:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBADJOHN View Post

Yah you watched all this take place from where,, a helicopter ??? I think if you would have witnessed such a thing it would of been reported..

Speculation is just that speculation.. I spend a lot of time out on the water every season and I am sorry but I do not see this rampant poaching that is supposedly taking place. Actually in 40 some years of fishing and thousands of hrs spent on the water across B.C. and A.B I have yet to see any open poaching going on.. Maybe its just me but I think people have a huge imagination and in some cases are just looking for excuses.. Not saying it doesn't take place but i hardly beleive it is an epidemic..

And why do people poach. I suppose there are different reasons why.. Some ignorance, some self entitlement, some greed and I would say some that just want a feed of fish now and then. Like I said before each to his own.. I hate a pig and abuse but if I see a man take a couple fish home to eat,,, so be it I mind my business and let him worry about his..
Old 02-03-2010, 05:15 PM

Walleyes want to see poaching every day? head to the north end of coal lake in the spring and watch the same 5 guys send there wifes home with 10 undersized pike 3x while talking to report a poacher. and no one shows up. and that eyes bbj was talking about that was 2 years ago at pigoen and we both phoned RAP.

gov needs to hire more officers to inforce the rules. they are over worked some areas have 2 officers to cover a area that should have a dozen. people know this and know they can get away with keeping anything because the chances of gettting caught are next to nothing.
Old 02-03-2010, 05:25 PM

Default You have never seen Poaching???????????????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyes View Post
Yah you watched all this take place from where,, a helicopter ??? I think if you would have witnessed such a thing it would of been reported..

Speculation is just that speculation.. I spend a lot of time out on the water every season and I am sorry but I do not see this rampant poaching that is supposedly taking place. Actually in 40 some years of fishing and thousands of hrs spent on the water across B.C. and A.B I have yet to see any open poaching going on.. Maybe its just me but I think people have a huge imagination and in some cases are just looking for excuses.. Not saying it doesn't take place but i hardly beleive it is an epidemic..

And why do people poach. I suppose there are different reasons why.. Some ignorance, some self entitlement, some greed and I would say some that just want a feed of fish now and then. Like I said before each to his own.. I hate a pig and abuse but if I see a man take a couple fish home to eat,,, so be it I mind my business and let him worry about his..
?
Old 02-03-2010, 05:36 PM
Banned

I'm sorry guys I am serious I have yet to see any open rampant poaching taking place.. Guess I have never spent time around the busier lakes but yah I have yet to see it.. Like I said non purpose poaching I have witnessed and in some place's mistakes being made but never loads of fish being packed out..

Last edited by Walleyes; 02-03-2010 at 06:04 PM.
Old 02-03-2010, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyes View Post
I'm sorry guys I am serious I have yet to see any open rampant poaching taking place.. Guess I have never spent time around the busier lakes but yah I have yet to see it.. Like I said purpose poaching I have witnessed in some place mistakes being made but never loads of fish being packed out..
The worst I have personally witnessed is about 6 guys catching walleye after walleye...putting them in bags...large garbage bags.

I called F&W. I told them everything including that the guys are still fishing. Told them to not walk down the main path as they could see everything. The guy did anyways and the 6 guys dumped every dead walleye back into the river. This was the Sturgeon River where it enters into the N. Sask.

I also witnessed a goldeye poaching effort on the N. Sask...but man...they are not good eating.

The biggest poaching operation I ran across was on the inlet stream into Wolf Lake. There was obviously a camp set up where they were killing spawning walleye. Must of been evidence of thousands killed. Doubt they were caught and I bet they are still active. They would work it for the 3 weeks before ice out of the lake.

Those are just the biggest I saw from a gross poaching effort. The smaller operations killing over their limit...happens quite a bit I suspect. I also believe that there is a small group that do this...say 5 % of the fishing population. Catching them stops some...maybe not the die hard poachers but it still helps the populations.
Old 02-03-2010, 06:02 PM

If everyone knows a poacher, why dont you turn one in. Poachers only ruin it for everyone. Hence the reason F and double U treat all of us guilty till proven inisent. Poached eggs arent bad either.