Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-31-2022, 06:47 PM

Default Buying a new car these day

Looked to get a new 2023 RAV4.

Looked all over. Even scouted other provinces. Ridiculous one isn’t available for 5 months.

Then comes the $3500 in additional charges.

Admin fees. $1000
shipping. $1000
Etc

If looking for a car in the next 5 months. Buy now.

Sales guys tried to steer me towards a 2 year old used car with 40k for $2000 more than a new one.

Pretty crazy these days.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 10-31-2022, 07:33 PM

I would have assumed in 5 months it'll be a better time to buy a car. A combination of continually rising rates pricing out folks (esp with poor credit), inflation eroding consumer disposable income as they spend more on necessities, incoming recession, and five more months for supply chains to continue to figure themselves out.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I've been in this FB group for folks who work at dealerships since I worked at an RV dealer. Lotta sales guys saying they have had the slowest month since COVID this October. January will probably be just horrid after folks spend big on inflated goods and groceries through the holiday season and the US Fed/CDN BoC will probably be signalling another rate increase for Q1 2023... I think it'll be a bloodbath
Old 10-31-2022, 10:13 PM

Based on what I have saw recently, the current vehicle situation is going to continue. Companies are going to continue to buy new, people that need vehicles are not going to not get it, so the demand will continue. I hope that it will level out at some point, but really who knows.
Old 11-01-2022, 01:18 AM

Yeah man, it’s crazy. I searched far and wide and just last week bought a new 2022 Colorado, all in was about $3K more than several used options of the same trim I had found with between 30-50K km on them.
Old 11-01-2022, 06:42 PM

Go to the US and buy. The dealer lots were full in Seattle and it didn't matter what flavor you might be looking for. Hybrids are harder to find but available. Teslas are much cheaper south as well. Hard to believe there is a shortage here when the lots are full across the border.
Old 11-01-2022, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quest206 View Post
Go to the US and buy. The dealer lots were full in Seattle and it didn't matter what flavor you might be looking for. Hybrids are harder to find but available. Teslas are much cheaper south as well. Hard to believe there is a shortage here when the lots are full across the border.
This! Travelled across the border this summer and the lots may not be as full as they were pre covid they sure had much more stock then we have. Look online for yourself. Part of me wonders if this is just the new normal for Canada and dealers are creating some "artificial scarcity" to get people to pay above what they should be paying.
Old 11-01-2022, 07:05 PM

We bought a new Rav4 last year. Paid exactly what the Toyota web site said it would cost, we entered where we live and chose to have the incidentals included in the price quote. Waited 4 months, 2 less than they told us. We are more than happy with the vehicle.

Thomas Sowell
Old 11-01-2022, 09:47 PM

Ordered a 2023 Subaru Outback Wilderness back in May, it’ll arrive in Jan or Feb.
The deal was written up not knowing what the 2023 price was exactly so written up as a 2022, and with no changes in body trim or accessories we were hoping nothing more than the price increase from 2021 to 2022 which was $800.

We heard from the dealer in August that confirmed price was up $2100.
A bit of a gouge in my opinion but what do you do, we could have declined the deal based on price increase and received our deposit back, or even take possession and maybe make $5k and re sell.
But still all in just a hair under $50k which was our budget.

This will be the wife and our first new car since 1986 BTW, ha ha.
Always bought 3-4 year old vehicles after good depreciation.

TBark
Old 11-02-2022, 08:00 AM

A couple of weeks ago I was talking to the owner of a local dealership. He said they are saving $50 000/month in interest payments compared to pre-covid by not keeping a bunch of inventory on the lot. That would be $100 000/month with today's interest rates and it's a relatively small dealership.

Gerry Burnie
Old 11-02-2022, 08:11 AM
AO Sponsor

I ordered my wife's Rav4 XLE NA 2.5L at the end of August and got delivery end of October so 2 months total. I do know a guy and just paid the Toyota.ca listed price and got a bunch of accessories tossed in for free and all the silly finance charged etc were removed so it was a solid deal, especially for today.

Now if I had wanted to order the hybrid or prime model I am sure it would have not been even remotely similar in deal set up.
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 11-02-2022, 08:36 AM

I told my neighbor that I got a new Mercedes for my wife:
His reply: Where did you get a trade like that?