Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-30-2014, 01:57 PM

Default picked up my stuff from the gunsmith..

So I had some work done on some rifles recently at a well known gunsmith, who will remain nameless, and im somewhat displeased in the workmanship. I had some stock inletting and action machining done from the smith and it doesnt seem quite up to par with my standards of what a professional well known gunsmith should produce.

In my eyes when you have a stock inletted professionally, there shouldn't be chips or chunks out of the stock and straight lines should be straight not crooked in efforts to follow a straight line.

Also in my eyes, when there is machine work done on an action, you'd think they would clean out the fillings and shavings from the action to ensure nothing ends up where it shouldn't be or something getting damaged.

Now I'm not trying to raise a huge stink, but I'm thoroughly disappointed. The damage is already done on the stocks, and yes the actions could be cleaned (so long as there is no damage) but what are my options at this point? What would you do as a customer?

I did not have the time to inspect the work before taking it home, so I have yet to discuss this with the smith. I have been completely satisfied as a customer with them up until this point, and I would like to continue as their customer.

Thanks guys
Old 12-30-2014, 02:04 PM
Banned

pictures?
Old 12-30-2014, 02:29 PM

Default pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish_e_o View Post
pictures?
I can take some pictures later, but the point is that they didn't go there in this condition
Old 12-30-2014, 02:38 PM
Banned

as far as the cleaning goes. well they should have cleaned it but it's easily done yourself. i wouldnt personally raise a stink over that.

the stock all messed up is another issue. i would just go back to the smith and ask him how he wants to fix it/ replace it. there's a reason you didn't just get toothless jimmy to go at it with a dremel you hired a professional. professionals fix their mistakes it's not that they don't make them.
Old 12-30-2014, 02:42 PM

Could have one of his underlings forgot to clean it up or did the damage and the actual gunsmith forgot to check his work over? I would go back to the actual smith and bring up your deficiencies with him and see what his stance is. You may be in for a good surprise.
Old 12-30-2014, 02:49 PM

if gunsmith takes money for his services he must do a proper, professional job. Otherwise, - he is just a crook
Old 12-30-2014, 02:54 PM

The fillings is kinda icing on the cake or salt on the wound type thing. I can clean it myself, but at the same time, its their name on the finished product.

That might be the case exactly that the work wasn't looked over
Old 12-30-2014, 04:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMisler View Post
So I had some work done on some rifles recently at a well known gunsmith, who will remain nameless, and im somewhat displeased in the workmanship. I had some stock inletting and action machining done from the smith and it doesnt seem quite up to par with my standards of what a professional well known gunsmith should produce.

In my eyes when you have a stock inletted professionally, there shouldn't be chips or chunks out of the stock and straight lines should be straight not crooked in efforts to follow a straight line.

Also in my eyes, when there is machine work done on an action, you'd think they would clean out the fillings and shavings from the action to ensure nothing ends up where it shouldn't be or something getting damaged.

Now I'm not trying to raise a huge stink, but I'm thoroughly disappointed. The damage is already done on the stocks, and yes the actions could be cleaned (so long as there is no damage) but what are my options at this point? What would you do as a customer?

I did not have the time to inspect the work before taking it home, so I have yet to discuss this with the smith. I have been completely satisfied as a customer with them up until this point, and I would like to continue as their customer.

Thanks guys

Before you wait any longer give the individual or company a call to describe your concerns, then when time permits go back?
Old 01-01-2015, 09:40 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMisler View Post

Thanks guys
Surprised it took as many posts as it did,for you to be blamed,and shamed,as if its your fault.These fellows make their mother's proud I'am sure...I hope you get some satisfaction.