Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 10-05-2018, 01:03 PM
Banned

Default What are children in public school being taught in Canada?

Interesting assignment for grade 10 students in Kamloops.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aM_K6vZ608U
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 42421124_1503415493091226_5653069404200501248_n.jpg (54.5 KB, 388 views)
File Type: jpeg 2017-05-24-14-14-48--1777117106.jpeg (11.8 KB, 362 views)
File Type: jpg 7Eu0TmRl.jpg (37.0 KB, 365 views)
File Type: jpeg images-104.jpeg (6.8 KB, 359 views)
Old 10-05-2018, 01:21 PM

So .... your railing against..... suppression of critical thinking and the promotion of propaganda by ..... doing the exact same things...?

Hmmmm.

This is a one off.
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 10-05-2018, 01:25 PM

They're not being taught anything...every day I ask my boys what they learnt in school and every day is the same answer (nothing).
Old 10-05-2018, 01:35 PM
Banned

Whoever developed the test should be fired in my opinion.

If the answer to a question was

A)Straight
B)Gay
C)transgender

Guaranteed someone would be fired and there would be a bunch of chest pounding and tail feathers wagging. It’s no different, political or sexual preference is a preference not right or wrong.

Last edited by Kurt505; 10-05-2018 at 01:51 PM.
Old 10-05-2018, 01:39 PM

Hmm...proud papa here. My youngest is in grade 11 taking partial science IB program - his choice.

Learning calculus in grade 11, 3d printer in his chemistry class, reading novels in English.

Yeah, they do some dumb things, but are they ruining the poor kid? Gimme a break. He listens to me drone on every day. Public school gives him a slice of life. The good and the goofy. Kinda like every day he'll live when he's done school.
Old 10-05-2018, 01:53 PM

This story from the "the Rebel" - so I am very careful how they contextualize and report on stories such as these. There is no dispute in what agenda they have as a so called "news group".

HOWEVER

IF .......... this story is real

AND

It was not taken out of context - like a critical thinking exercise, for those who don't understand what that means, is that they are supposed to put in the "stereotypical" answer and then later critically analyze these stereotypes .....often dispelling the myths associated with absolutist thinking based on stereotypes .....

Then ............ the teacher is, clearly, out of line. Way out of line ...

BUT

I think there is more to this story ........ I think this was another clever, out of context, packaging job by another rag media outlet is my guess.
Old 10-05-2018, 02:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
This story from the "the Rebel" - so I am very careful how they contextualize and report on stories such as these. There is no dispute in what agenda they have as a so called "news group".

HOWEVER

AND

It was not taken out of context - like a critical thinking exercise, for those who don't understand what that means, is that they are supposed to put in the "stereotypical" answer and then later critically analyze these stereotypes .....

Then - the teacher is out of line. Way out of line ...

BUT

I think there is more to this story ........ I think this was another clever, out of context, packaging job by another rag media outlet is my guess.
Yes the Rebel is a suspect source, but how else would anyone have heard of this?

It is worthy of discussion,that's why i shared it.period.

Bessy keep on assuming you know my thought's and motive's...hilarious!

My title was chosen simply to bring attention to the thread...what else is a title supposed to do?, are you the thought police?

Group identification and assuming responsibility for someone else in your chosen group doing something that you don't do leads to all sort's of issues.

Are we not individual's anymore?, i know that I AM.

It's ok, it probably feels better to let it all out, hope you feel better now.

PS: i don't even have children in school so the only way that this affect's me is when they all grow up and take over government position's, but i'll be to old to care anymore by that point.

Last edited by ReconWilly; 10-05-2018 at 02:07 PM.
Old 10-05-2018, 02:02 PM

Quote:

HOWEVER

AND

It was not taken out of context - like a critical thinking exercise, for those who don't understand what that means, is that they are supposed to put in the "stereotypical" answer and then later critically analyze these stereotypes .....often dispelling the myths associated with absolutist thinking based on stereotypes .....

BUT

I saw it on global. Was quite shocked by it actually.
Old 10-05-2018, 02:04 PM
Banned

Quote:

HOWEVER

AND

BUT

The story was on global news this morning.

Dang.... I was beat by the Newf b’y
Old 10-06-2018, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingrat View Post
They're not being taught anything...every day I ask my boys what they learnt in school and every day is the same answer (nothing).
If parents don't like the quality of education, it's on them to step up and fill that gap.

Education is too important to leave entirely in someone else's hands.
Old 10-07-2018, 10:36 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Abelard View Post
If parents don't like the quality of education, it's on them to step up and fill that gap.

This is by FAR my favorite post in this thread.
Old 10-07-2018, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReconWilly View Post
This is by FAR my favorite post in this thread.
[Blush]

Every weekend, me and the kids set aside an hour for a learning activity, framed as "Adventures". Essentially, it's a home schooling session.

I have two streams: One is intellectual, the other practical. Our sessions have catchy names that I won't share here.

On the intellectual days we may examine an event in history, discuss critical thinking, or discuss another culture, or another religion.

On the practical days we could be building something, taking something apart. Perhaps learning some fieldcraft. Then next big thing in the pipe is teaching them to read body language, or "How to read minds".

I am grateful to the school system for building a basic foundation, so *I don't have to*, allowing me to focus on the advanced level stuff.

We're also lucky to to have the spare time and energy to put towards this. So many family are struggling just to keep their head above water that they couldn't do this.

They *LOVE* these sessions. If we skip one they complain. The burden is on me to keep it interesting, and I do my best to bring my "A" game so they keep coming back for more.

Last edited by Peter Abelard; 10-07-2018 at 01:36 PM.
Old 10-07-2018, 01:55 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Abelard View Post

Exactly, use to sit with the kids reading, spelling and math. Got involved with what they were doing at school ensuring they fully understood what was being taught, taught them that 80 percent is an indication that you need to know the 20 percent you didn't so that when the big exam came up you nailed it.
Parenting is so much more then dump and go, lay blame if there are issues when it's all about getting involved etc.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-07-2018, 09:51 PM

interesting article onFB by LC Miller on oct 2
Miller was a public school board trustee for 15 years
main point STAY OUT OF OUR RIGHTS AS PARENTS AND DO YOUR JOB TO TEACH OUR KIDS THE THREE Rs INSTEAD OF YOUR LEFTISH LGBTQ AGENDA
I agree with him what about you guys?
Old 10-05-2018, 01:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post
So .... your railing against..... suppression of critical thinking and the promotion of propaganda by ..... doing the exact same things...?

Hmmmm.

This is a one off.
Excuse me?

Are you over reacting to someone sharing a video again?

Whatever you need to get through the day pal...

I am not railing or suppressing anything...stop projecting...i never even shared my thought's...take a deep breath.

And have a great day!
Old 10-05-2018, 01:51 PM

What the heck does the title of your thread do bub?

Your taking a possible one off stupid assignment.... and paint public schools with it.

https://thebestschools.org/magazine/...generalization

See the above link. Then give your head a shake.

And I’m suggesting that you might be suppressing your own critical thinking skills if you buy into this ‘news’ bit. I’m positive your smarter than that though.

Feel Trollish today?
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 10-08-2018, 10:57 AM

garbage
Closed Thread