Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-30-2011, 10:45 AM

Default Fly rod casting lessons

I looked at all the sponsors and don't see an obvious conflict, but if there is Mods can delete at will.

I have been flyfishing seriously for over 20 years, have fished all over for various species with 3 weight to 9 weight rods. I consider myself a decent caster, but have had a couple of issues that have confounded me for my entire flyfishing "career".

I have only ever had one casting lesson, and that was a Spey casting lesson I took about 12 years ago.

I attended the Flyfishing Conclave in Lethbridge on the weekend and had a great time. At the conclave Brian Niska was the casting instructor; I first met Brian at the aforementioned Spey class, and have run into him a handful of times since.

A buddy and I decided to book a lesson with Brian for Sunday afternoon, because we could both use a little coaching. I am here to say that it was the best money I have ever spent on flyfishing.

In less than an hour, I had the solution to my casting problems, and for the first time in my life cast my entire fly line - right to the backing!! Not only did I do with my high-end rod and line, but I also cast my buddies decent rod and cheap line into the backing multiple times!

And I have to add, I can now cast over 80 feet while sitting on a small bucket to simulate sitting in a boat.

For a few bucks I added over 20 feet to my cast. Money well spent!

I have to admit that I do more short line fishing these days, usually only fishing 2 or 3 rod lengths of line, in the river. However, I have been fishing the lakes more and more, and that extra distance will come in very handy.

IIRC, I believe Brian is going to be in Calgary for a few days, and then up in Grande Prairie (of all places) to do a Spey clinic. I do not know if he is available for private lessons during this time (I believe he is), but if anyone wants his number, send me a PM and I will get it to you.

The guy is a world class instructor.

Cheers.
Old 05-30-2011, 05:02 PM

Yup, Brian is a good guy, good caster, and more importantly, a good teacher.

The conclave was a good time. Will definitely be back next year.