Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-24-2011, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushmaster View Post
(an older gent likely in his mid to late 50's)

Older gent ??
Old for a RCMP constable. He's only been here 3 weeks or so. Nice guy. Must have come onto the force later in life.

Marshall McLuhan
Old 11-24-2011, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
I live in the city, very near the center of Calgary.

I'm butchering some deer today. As always, the looks of people walking down the alley and seeing body parts is Priceless!

I wonder why the local punks avoid my house?

I love the idea of a Rural Resident qualification test.

What would the test cover?
i don't get looks i get asked for dog bones, and how come i always connect with something every year. this year niehbour kid asked mom whats that, she quickly replied thats food before it goes to safeway.
Old 11-24-2011, 06:37 PM

Smile Newbie and farmer

Newbie "What are the neighbours like around here?"

Farmer " what were they like where you just came from?"

I know an old Reeve (rancher) who told me that he always met his new neighbours when he shot their dog!

The first rule for new people to the country, They can do what ever they want (we're in the country) and no body can do anything that they don't like.

Now you can be a municipal politician!
Old 11-24-2011, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick0danger View Post
i don't get looks i get asked for dog bones, and how come i always connect with something every year. this year niehbour kid asked mom whats that, she quickly replied thats food before it goes to safeway.
The neighborhood dogs are a howlin', they know I'll be by tomorrow.

I keep the 8' gate to the backyard open so people can see what is going on.

I generally get two types of reactions. Half the people quickly scurry by, eyes to the ground. The " I see Nothing" crowd.

The other half are positively curious. If they stop to look, I invite them into the yard. It's pleasantly surprising how many people who don't hunt, have never seen a dead deer being butchered, even vegetarians, are supportive of hunting for food. In fifteen years of having antelope to bison hanging in the backyard, I've never had a person get lippy about hunting being wrong.

Years ago a new neighbor kept on coming over with his little girls anytime I had an animal. Turns out this fellow had become vegan for a while. After a couple of years of visiting and asking questions, he did what came naturally to him and took up hunting for his family's meat. The reason for his decision to be a vegan was based on his opinion of Large scale animal husbandry. Having a chance to learn about hunting as a source of meat was what he needed to feel comfortable to eat meat again. All thanks to a little showboating in the city.
Old 11-24-2011, 07:53 PM

Had, quite a few in garage this year, as i showed co-workers how easy it is to cut up a deer. While doing so i found out that almost every one of my neighbors hunts. My new neibour when out for his first time with a buddy this year, he manage to get a nice doe but buddy could not help him skin it. After about 2 hours of him swearing in his garage his wife comes over and ask me to give him a hand, grab my knives of alaska set and had her skinned in about 5 mins, i think he was a little taken back on how i use the axe to remove the head.
Old 11-24-2011, 08:39 PM

Good fun!
Years ago I was cleaning a few ducks in the backyard when a few feathers drifted over to the neighbours. Pretty quickly the neighbours twin lads' heads are peeking over the fence, and I hear "Hey Mister - whatcha doing??". 15 minutes later they're busy opening & closing duck feet by yanking on the tendons, and then it's a Donald & Daisy Duck pupper show with duck heads bouncing along the solid fence.
All fun and games until their mother - the town public health nurse, came along...
Old 11-24-2011, 08:49 PM

Hey nick, you should try the recipricating saw for removing the head, way faster then the axe. You can also use it to quarter the animal.

My neighbours get to see me skin my deers in the driveway every year and none have said a thing. One even asked if I need help, he is from the country.
Old 11-24-2011, 09:18 PM

i use my big cleaver to remove the meat from the base of the skull and one good swing and the head and hide drops off from there, nice quick and clean.
Old 11-24-2011, 10:19 PM

I had a visit from city bylaw enforcement just a few months ago. I was reported for splitiing wood beside my house with an axe....
Old 11-24-2011, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arn?Narn. View Post
I had a visit from city bylaw enforcement just a few months ago. I was reported for splitiing wood beside my house with an axe....
Is there a bylaw for that?
Old 11-24-2011, 11:56 PM

I live in Calgary. My best memory is of dropping a deer off at the butcher, then driving to a C-Train lot and getting on the train, headed for work in my good clothes. I didn't realize for a few minutes, that my hands were absolutely covered in blood.
The looks I got were priceless!!
Old 11-25-2011, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arn?Narn. View Post
your kidding right?
Old 11-25-2011, 07:44 AM

Remember one of my neighbors telling us when they moved to the country one of the others on the street introduced themselves by saying, we have a favor to ask, if our dogs get out the first time please call us, second time shoot them, and we'll do the same.

I do enjoy when I hear gunshots at night though as I like to think means one less coyote around.
Old 11-25-2011, 08:06 AM

Default I love Wal-Mart!!!

Last year my buddy and I got two nice does that we did a little work on before I went home.

On the way home my wife calls my cell and asks if I could get her some cough syrup as she was really sick and just finished it. I dropped into Wal-Mart on the way home to pick some up for her.

I caught sight of my reflection as I was leaving the store. My shirt and pants were covered in blood.

And no one batted an eye!!!
Old 11-25-2011, 11:52 AM

Best one I heard was of a couple of dogs that were chasing livestock around town. The landowners closest to town were pretty much townsfolk and were pretty flustered by these dogs; they called the cops and asked What do we do, and the cop says Just shoot them and that will be that.

So a couple days later the dogs come by and bang, bang, whimper whimper off they go. And since the dogs were tagged, they loaded them into the truck and brought them to the police station to notify the dog's former owner.

Cop looked in the back all glad that the issue had been dealt with and stood back shocked with kind of a sheepish look on his face.

"They're my dogs!"

And they sure were, and very docile ones at that.
Old 11-25-2011, 12:26 PM

You cant beat country living (i live in a town of 700 people) Last night after i dropped my WT buck i went to the beer store covered in blood hair and bits and peices of random goooy things not one person batted an eye not one person said anything like it was out of the ordinary
Old 11-25-2011, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blayne View Post
your kidding right?
nope...

the complain was for noise and for the amount of wood I had...
(approximately 1.5 cord at the time)

They also complained that I had non CSA certified outdoor wood burning stove.

It was a camp stove that I lit to try out how it works...burned it for a couple of hours on my own property in my own yard...they still complained.

They are not even my neighbours, just live down the street.
Old 11-26-2011, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
LMAO....love it!
x3

Biggmac
Old 11-26-2011, 01:13 PM

8:30 am the Bylaw officer (BLO)pulls up to the front of my house, me and the two dogs are outside loading up my truck they see her get out of her truck and walk up the driveway and they both bark at her, I call them back and they sit by me,she says:
(BLO) We have a complaint about your dogs running free and pizzing on peoples tires.

ME: these two dogs

(BLO)yes these two dogs

Me:they never leave the yard

(BLO)well they must because they are pizzing on tires

Me: wow who would complain about something like that

(BLO)does no t matter there is a complaint and we have to address it.

Me: You know these dogs are very well trained not to leave the yard. \\

(BLO), Getting Mad.... the ticket is X amount!!!!

Me; well they are master hunters and RCMP certified search dogs.And are extremely well trained.

(BLO) If I have one more complaint I will have to charge you.

Me;ya I can see that, what I will due is train these two females to lift their legs to pee on the tires.And than you can write me a ticket.

(BLO) Oh they are females. than who owns a male around here

Me; Due your homework cause you sure did not due it here, someone said there was two dogs at this house so here you came, told the dogs to get in the garage and not one word was said again.

LIFE IS TO SHORT TO HAVE AN UGLY LOOKIN DOG .....GET A LAB
Old 11-26-2011, 01:41 PM

I used to live in a small village on Kootenay Lake. As the Kootenaies were slowly discovered people from the big cities of Edmonton, Calgary, Vancouver started buying properties and moving in with their city dogs. They felt that because they now lived in the country they could just let their dogs wander. Preacher Jim as he was known had a big Malamute and it was constantly treeing bears and chasing deer and elk. It treed a really mean bear in the golf course right by my house and I went to see the commotion. I made the dog leave and the bear went up the hill. Later that night the pager ( I was one of the village paramedics ) went off for a man down attacked by an animal. That cagey old bear had waited till the sun went down, went to where Preacher Jims dog was on the porch and the bear attacked it. Jim opened the door and went after the bear with a broom handle. Results of that mess, dog had to be destroyed and Preacher Jim was stitched back together. City people can sure be dumb when they move to the wilderness
Old 11-26-2011, 03:35 PM
Gone Hunting

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p69Mpn704xM

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 11-26-2011, 09:14 PM

Another neighbor today. What would all the dog shooters say to this traipsing through their yard? My north neighbor's bull came through the fence into my property and proceeded to knock over everything in the yard that could be knocked over -- including some of my livestock panels (pigs didn't catch on), a table saw, my bench rest, picnic table etc..

What did I do?

Marshall McLuhan
Old 11-26-2011, 09:20 PM

^^^

You stuck a porcupine in his face?
Old 11-26-2011, 09:41 PM

Young bull. Rode him for 8?
Old 11-26-2011, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post
After I shot my mulie buck this fall, I did a few victory laps with his head and antlers hanging out the back of my truck down in Kensington. I got the finger from at least 6 people. (I did a few laps down kensington road and 10th st.

I couldn't wipe the grin off of my face!
no wonder people hate hunters......
Old 11-26-2011, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucksman View Post
no wonder people hate hunters......
You mean the people that without everyday people like hunters, wouldn't be able to feed themselves? Yeah, send those people to me. I'm a wonderful teacher.
Old 11-27-2011, 11:12 AM

Default test

i am all for the test before you are allowed to live in the country. heaven knows my neighbor would be banned to the city for life.
Old 11-27-2011, 12:21 PM

the answer's "D"

Marshall McLuhan
Old 11-28-2011, 12:45 PM

Couple years ago the neighbors bull kept getting out and would wander over to my place. First couple of times I just opened the gate and chased him back into the pasture, then phoned and left a message that his bull is getting out, and he needs to fix his fence. Third time he used my mailbox to scratch his ass, and left it laying on the ground. Phoned him up and said (jokingly) that he either fixes his fence, or the next time I call it will be to invite him over for a steak dinner. Funny how that bull never got out again...
Old 11-28-2011, 01:00 PM

This fall a landowner just north of Lacombe did just that. Dont know the details but a bull was shot,no charges were laid as far as I know