Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-02-2022, 06:21 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoseto View Post
I’m just reading through this wishing it was my life lol
X2! Beats roofing or being a highway worker lol. I would love to be a grain farmer.
Old 09-02-2022, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post
as a non-farmer, what do they spray the canola with? Gly? Is it to kill the canola to make it dry out without having to swath first?
He uses “heat”. It’s a herbicide but I'm no too sure if it’s a glyphosate or not, I’ve never cared enough to check. It will kill the canola and allow it to dry down so it can be straight cut. You apply it once your seed pods have reached maturity and enough of the seeds have turned from green to black. It will also control weeds for better performance during spring seeding.
Old 09-22-2022, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMOA View Post
He uses “heat”. It’s a herbicide but I'm no too sure if it’s a glyphosate or not, I’ve never cared enough to check. It will kill the canola and allow it to dry down so it can be straight cut. You apply it once your seed pods have reached maturity and enough of the seeds have turned from green to black. It will also control weeds for better performance during spring seeding.
I lied. Heat is a desiccate. It helps with dry down. It is not a herbicide. Regalone is the herbicide I thought he was spraying.
Old 09-22-2022, 10:53 PM

On to Canola today. Hauling canola is so much nicer than wheat. So much lighter and just flows so much nicer.
Old 09-23-2022, 07:54 AM

They are getting down to being near the last of it here, canola and flax over the last week. Some of the grain and canola has been swathed, not a lot of it, bulk is straight cut. A splatter of rain a few days ago gave most guys a "day off", they were back at it say 36hrs later. Seemed odd to us that we saw almost no major flocks of birds on the grain fields, just on peas up til day before yesterday. there were two flocks on grain as the roost was on a grain field, seemed like they didn't stay long on the grain and then scooted over to peas with those ones as well.. Been 95% adult specks so far, only got a few juvies.