Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-25-2022, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Highly unlikely, with average RCMP response times to rural calls. That is a huge part of the problem.

That is not said as any type of a defense for the Biledeaus and what they did. Just reality.
Maybe or maybe not, two wouldn't be in jail and two would be alive if he had.
Old 09-25-2022, 02:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
^ The guy was driving over 150 km/h catching up to them to tell them nicely he was going to report them to the authorities for drunk driving, while not knowing they were drunk? And when did he ask his son to bring a gun?

Like I said, im my opinion, the self-defence was lost when he got in the truck.
That’s like saying you can’t shoot a grizzly that going to attack you in self defence because you should have just stayed home.

The self defence plea comes from the junior bliodeau seeing his dad and brother being roughed up. And one of the assailants coming in his direction and not yielding when he is pointing a gun at them
Old 09-25-2022, 02:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
Sr. Bilodeau was convicted because he started the whole chain of events there's no law against pulling over or slowing down on a road for any reason.

If it was paranoia or maybe he was drunk? if Bilodeau would've picked up the phone reported the suspicious truck there's a good chance the RCMP would have spotted the truck with an intoxicated driver.
You can go back even further and the chain of events started when the two deceased individuals were driving around drunk.
Their judgements were impaired
And this whole chain of events is a conglomeration of bad decisions
Old 09-25-2022, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
I would have to guess Bat lives in town, or awful close to one with a detachment.
Actually I lived by Hillmond for a number of years nearest detachment response was about an 1 hour, still wouldn't be chasing a truck full of gangsters in the middle of the night at 150 kph. just on speculation of a possible crime in my yard or house would be a whole new ball game.
Old 09-25-2022, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
That’s like saying you can’t shoot a grizzly that going to attack you in self defence because you should have just stayed home.
More like chasing a grizzly after you spotted one, no?

Quote:
The self defence plea comes from the junior bliodeau seeing his dad and brother being roughed up. And one of the assailants coming in his direction and not yielding when he is pointing a gun at them
He/they “inserted” himself/themselves into that position and chose to pull the trigger. 2 or 3 times at the other guy who was hiding behind the truck.
Old 09-25-2022, 02:24 PM

Quote:
^ The guy was driving over 150 km/h catching up to them to tell them nicely he was going to report them to the authorities for drunk driving, while not knowing they were drunk? And when did he ask his son to bring a gun?

Like I said, im my opinion, the self-defence was lost when he got in the truck.
And the two guys who were 2-3 times over the legal limit were setting the speed for the Bilodeau's following them. For all we know he could have walking out of the house to talk to the guys who pulled in and they bailed. After having vehicles coming onto his property multiple times that day, I would want to know what they were doing as well.....

I can only imagine how this story would have been spun if the lead truck doing 150+ km/hr with the impaired guys would have hit a vehicle with a family in it. There could have been more fatalities as a result.
Old 09-25-2022, 02:30 PM

He/they “inserted” himself/themselves into that position and chose to pull the trigger. 2 or 3 times at the other guy who was hiding behind the truck.

And that 2nd guy was holding a gun trying to get a shot at the Bilodeau's by the looks of the video......
Old 09-25-2022, 02:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
More like chasing a grizzly after you spotted one, no?

No crimes were committed til the old man and brother started to get roughed up
Which only happened because they got out of their vehicle looking for a confrontation
Sorry no crimes beside speeding
And drunk driving
Old 09-25-2022, 02:59 PM

Quote:
I’ll wait for the “educate yourself” comments that im sure are to come
Just a little heads up, I have a lot of native friends that I hunt with all across North America. So the picture your trying to paint is a little off
As a hunter, I know the hunting should stop when the sun goes down. As a hunter I also know that I shouldn’t be impaired when I’m hunting or when I have a firearm.

Being enraged and out for blood as you call it, would definitely require more actions than someone who was unarmed and stayed in their truck.

Spin it however you want, but if those two weren’t driving drunk at night. They might not have gotten lost or did whatever happened before this was caught in film. If they weren’t drunk, they might not have gotten out of their truck and started the physical altercation as the truck was turning around. Who knows, this may have never happened if the senior bilodeau wasn’t driving a f350 with his hubs unlocked. If he was driving with them locked, or in a dodge or a chev or anything else, he might not have gotten stuck and they probably wouldn’t have had the chance to be roughing up the old man when junior showed up. Next, who in their right mind, would walk up to someone who is pointing a gun at them, and im sure yelling at them to stop and take a hike. How intoxicated would you have to be to think that it was going to end well? The whole idea of having a firearm is to be the ultimate deterant to stop the situation. I have a gun, you don’t. Stop what your doing or I’m going to use it to make you. If the intent was to kill the two victims, he would have shot them as soon as he got out of the truck. Not when the the first one got to within 3 feet of him. And he wouldn’t have waited til
The second individual had gone back to the truck to get his weapon either.

There was a lot of time for both sides to deescalate the situation
And a lot of poor decisions were made
You won't get " educate your self " comments from me, your beyond that. As far as you have FN friends, all I can say is yeah sure you do.
I didn't spin I use facts of the interviews, have you? Seems like you sprout off but have no facts to back them up. I won't even address your truck comments ( dodge, chev etc ) who cares.
As far as confronting a gun toting man, well seems very stupid to me also. I guess sometimes a fella just gets so fed up with things like being racial profiled, name calling, accusations ( I mean you can't hear it on the video of course, but I doubt there were exchanging hello's ) and the young hunter being also with a respected Elder felt the need to react and protect and he lost it to a very tragic end. If your so well acquaint with FN peoples as you state, then you how deep racial slurs cuts can be. After all getting lost and turning around in a driveway at night is not exclusively reserved for people under the influence of alcohol.
As far as hunting is concern your the one that keeps on bring it up, I only call them hunters because as I stated before they were labeled with that term throughout. I do however bow to your expertise as a great hunter and enjoy your hunting threads very much, but that's were the bowing ends Lol.

Tommy
Old 09-25-2022, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Does everybody in rural areas do this, Nothing was stolen Bilodeau had no idea they were drunk, why did he chase them?

Bilodeau had heard from his son Joseph Bilodeau that a white pickup truck had been seen near their yard earlier in the day. He set off in pursuit of the pickup truck that Sansom and Cardinal were in after they paused in the driveway of the family farm.

Maybe they were thinking about asking for permission to hunt the next day? Maybe he pulled over for a whiz

The courts have ruled on this case anybody else's speculation about the event is just that speculation.
2X

Tommy
Old 09-25-2022, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Sr. Bilodeau was convicted because he started the whole chain of events there's no law against pulling over or slowing down on a road for any reason.

If it was paranoia or maybe he was drunk? if Bilodeau would've picked up the phone reported the suspicious truck there's a good chance the RCMP would have spotted the truck with an intoxicated driver.
Absolutely correct.

Tommy
Old 09-25-2022, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Clearly, the self-defence case ended when the dude jumped in the truck and started following the other dudes, drunk or not.

Also, it does look pretty clear that he was trying to run the guy over. The junior then arrives and shoots one guy few seconds after the arrival. Then fires at another, misses, runs over to him and shoots him almost point blank as well. Then, after short deliberation, they get back in their trucks and go home. The two dudes are left lying dead on the ground until found the following morning. The “farmers” turn themselves in claiming self defence.

The craziest thing is the guy got 4 1/2 years cut due to the time served (a couple of years?).

I put the farmers in quotes for a reason. I see there are two sides claiming “hunters” and “farmers”, depending on whose side they are on, so to speak. Pretty irrelevant who is who. The fact that these two dudes were referred to as “hunters” in every news article is pretty ridiculous. I am willing to bet a little bit of money the “farmers” were hunters too, or at least one of them.
2X

Tommy
Old 09-25-2022, 03:28 PM

Ok. All the mods have been closely following this thread. We have not wanted to close it because then we have the accusations of censorship and so forth. But frankly, the lack of civility has gone on too long.

We completely understand that this is a racially charged incident, not unlike some previous threads that we don't want to rehash.

But regardless of how relevant it is to the discussion, it is getting to be the uncomfortable focus of the issue, and that is not going to continue.

There are two sides to what happened, obviously. The final outcome was tragic and avoidable. If this conversation continues to be a racial discussion, I am going to close it.

As far as I am concerned, there was certainly fault with the men who were killed. Impaired driving is a serious matter. Many of us have lost friends and family to impaired drivers and you won't find much sympathy for it from any reasonable person. Race has nothing to do with it! Full stop!

But despite that egregious violation of impaired driving, they did not deserve to be shot down for it. The situation was fueled by alcohol, mistrust, lots of rural crime, and bad judgement from all parties involved. End of story. I don't care if they were blue, green or plaid colored on the outside, any of them.

This is not going to be a forum for racially charged discussions, full stop. It's right in the rules. Read them. This applies to all members, from both sides of this discussion.

Any further comments that violate that rule will result in a suspension, and this thread will be closed.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 09-26-2022, 08:22 PM

So I will start reading this thread tonight
One question
Who made the video?
Thanks Titus
Old 09-26-2022, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC1 View Post
So I will start reading this thread tonight
One question
Who made the video?
Thanks Titus
One video taken from a security camera on a nearby building.