Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-24-2022, 12:19 PM
Banned

Thumbs down 2022 Tax Index

Taxes versus the Necessities of Life: The Canadian Consumer Tax Index 2022 edition

The average Canadian family now spends more of its income on taxes (43.0%) than it does on basic necessities such as food, shelter, and clothing combined (35.7%).

https://www.fraserinstitute.org/stud...x-2022-edition
Old 09-24-2022, 03:20 PM

Just now??

Ever since Librals got in power its been a steady taking out of pockets of working Canadians.

This government has done nothing to help, only takes and looks for more.
Old 09-26-2022, 07:09 AM

Now that you understand the TAX BITE from all levels of Government and all types of taxation, lets look at what it costs to maintain your standard of living in inflationary - "taxationary" times.

Inflation is 10 % this year. OK, go to the Employer and ask for a 15 % wage increase.

WHAT YOU SAY? CAN'T YOU DO THE MATH YOU SAY?

Think of it this way. Increased wages, increased incremental TAX increase. What is the NET INCREASE in my Wages to meet the NET INCREASE in my spending power?

So, if I need to keep EVEN with inflation, I need a wage increase that is accounting for how much CRA will take from me, PLUS the wage increase to keep me on the same standard of living.

Basically, 15 %.

Happy Monday Folks!!!

Drewski
Old 09-26-2022, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post
Now that you understand the TAX BITE from all levels of Government and all types of taxation, lets look at what it costs to maintain your standard of living in inflationary - "taxationary" times.

Inflation is 10 % this year. OK, go to the Employer and ask for a 15 % wage increase.

Think of it this way. Increased wages, increased incremental TAX increase. What is the NET INCREASE in my Wages to meet the NET INCREASE in my spending power?

So, if I need to keep EVEN with inflation, I need a wage increase that is accounting for how much CRA will take from me, PLUS the wage increase to keep me on the same standard of living.

Basically, 15 %.

Happy Monday Folks!!!

Drewski
And there be the major financial issue for most Canadians.
Old 09-26-2022, 08:58 AM

Quote:

Basically, 15 %.

Happy Monday Folks!!!

Drewski
And the BOC doesn't want us to get raises because it increases cost to companies that pass on to consumers.

Absolutely an incompetent government and bank.

JT isn't lying when he doesn't pay attention to budget and monetary policies. Never had to his whole life, they are the worst people when it comes to money, never had to earn it.
Old 09-26-2022, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogie View Post
And the BOC doesn't want us to get raises because it increases cost to companies that pass on to consumers.

Absolutely an incompetent government and bank.

JT isn't lying when he doesn't pay attention to budget and monetary policies. Never had to his whole life, they are the worst people when it comes to money, never had to earn it.
Dear Hogie,

Just to demonstrate your point, lets look at Alberta Government Employees as a forensic study on how you are getting SCR$W$D over.

In 2016 the NDP gave a good wage increase to Alberta Government Employees. The contract ran out in 2018.

The new Alberta Government then demanded a 5 % wage roll back. The Contract stated that the pay rates under the old contract continues until the new contract.

Late 2021 the Teachers and the Nurses ratify a "GREAT DEAL" wherein the 5 % cumulative rollback is dropped! But the employees get 0% in year one, 0% in year two, and .75% in year 3 and .5% in year 4. You see, they did not have to pay back the 5 % over the last 3 years!!!

Then, inflation hit, and every employee realized that they had been conned.

They had been conned because there was no increase to take into account inflation from 2019 forward, and there will be no increased wages to take into account inflation over the next 4 years, which if it is 10 % a year, will be another 40 % wage Decrease because of inflation.

The Government looks good in all this, as the labour cost to the Province after 4 years of inflation will be the equivalent of some kid assembling I Phones in China.

Now just DARE to ask for a wage increase in 2026 that matches the tax cost of the needed wage increase, and the 40 % +++ loss in purchasing power due to inflation.

The sad part is that the Alberta and Canadian Tax Payer is in on it. We can't afford our Government Budgets now, and we won't afford the needed wage increase in the future.

Drewski
Old 09-26-2022, 12:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Dear Hogie,

Just to demonstrate your point, lets look at Alberta Government Employees as a forensic study on how you are getting SCR$W$D over.

In 2016 the NDP gave a good wage increase to Alberta Government Employees. The contract ran out in 2018.

The new Alberta Government then demanded a 5 % wage roll back. The Contract stated that the pay rates under the old contract continues until the new contract.

Late 2021 the Teachers and the Nurses ratify a "GREAT DEAL" wherein the 5 % cumulative rollback is dropped! But the employees get 0% in year one, 0% in year two, and .75% in year 3 and .5% in year 4. You see, they did not have to pay back the 5 % over the last 3 years!!!

Then, inflation hit, and every employee realized that they had been conned.

They had been conned because there was no increase to take into account inflation from 2019 forward, and there will be no increased wages to take into account inflation over the next 4 years, which if it is 10 % a year, will be another 40 % wage Decrease because of inflation.

The Government looks good in all this, as the labour cost to the Province after 4 years of inflation will be the equivalent of some kid assembling I Phones in China.

Now just DARE to ask for a wage increase in 2026 that matches the tax cost of the needed wage increase, and the 40 % +++ loss in purchasing power due to inflation.

The sad part is that the Alberta and Canadian Tax Payer is in on it. We can't afford our Government Budgets now, and we won't afford the needed wage increase in the future.

Drewski
Before you jump up and down saying how your getting screwed over
Do the math and figure out what your benefits package is worth
And what your job security is worth
What about your quality of life as a govt employee?

If you still think your getting screwed
There’s a lot of oil and gas companies hiring
You can start tomorrow
Just pack your bags, and kiss your family good bye, because you won’t be seeing them til freeze up
Old 09-26-2022, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post

You can start tomorrow
Just pack your bags, and kiss your family good bye, because you won’t be seeing them til freeze up
Yup

I know lots of oil and gas people looking for work. Got laid off and no positions to get hired for. Are over 55 and passed over for jobs in favour of younger and cheaper without caring about the value and savings and efficiency that experience brings. People who get picked on by managers and have no union to go to. People forced to work when sick or get laid off because of illness.

While the private sector got paid more than average… government employees are not poorly paid. Other benefits such as pensions, seniority, union grievance etc… makes for a lot of value as it de-risks many stresses found mostly in the private sector.

Government employees can’t say they are hard done by. At the same time everyone can complain they want more for the same or less effort. It’s the dream. We all want more money… more perks. Why not.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 09-26-2022, 12:34 PM

Quote:

You can start tomorrow
Yep, that’s about it!
Not everybody in Alberta working for the government. Some people work on salary or even straight commissions. How scary is that? Some people lost 30-40% of their income just because the economy went into the dumpster when dippers took over the province. Then Covid hit, then lockdowns( government workers were still getting their full pay check) while the rest of us had to dip into their savings…. I havnt seen any mass protests by the private sector employees to get wages back up to the pre2016 levels…
Old 09-26-2022, 12:38 PM

Quote:

You can start tomorrow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Yup

I know lots of oil and gas people looking for work. Got laid off and no positions to get hired for. Are over 55 and passed over for jobs in favour of younger and cheaper without caring about the value and savings and efficiency that experience brings. People who get picked on by managers and have no union to go to. People forced to work when sick or get laid off because of illness.

While the private sector got paid more than average… government employees are not poorly paid. Other benefits such as pensions, seniority, union grievance etc… makes for a lot of value as it de-risks many stresses found mostly in the private sector.

Government employees can’t say they are hard done by. At the same time everyone can complain they want more for the same or less effort. It’s the dream. We all want more money… more perks. Why not.

I think you guys missed the point of Drewski's posts. He is illustrating how wages will never keep up with the current levels of inflation. Public, or private there is no way in hell that wages can keep up with the wave of inflation we are all riding today, tomorrow and for years to come.

To halt the current rise, the BOC would need to raise interest rates another 15 - 17 percent and do so by the end of the year. Those kinds of numbers will get immediate attention.

Sock boy and his puppet finance minister have no understanding of what it will take for the average canadian to get ahead and make the ends meet.

BW

Last edited by Bigwoodsman; 09-26-2022 at 12:48 PM.
Old 09-26-2022, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronNoggin View Post

The average Canadian family now spends more of its income on taxes (43.0%) than it does on basic necessities such as food, shelter, and clothing combined (35.7%).
Trudeau has to fund his weekly federal worker holidays somehow.....
Old 09-26-2022, 01:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post
I think you guys missed the point of Drewski's posts. He is illustrating how wages will never keep up with the current levels of inflation. Public, or private there is no way in hell that wages can keep up with the wave of inflation we are all riding today, tomorrow and for years to come.

To halt the current rise, the BOC would need to raise interest rates another 15 - 17 percent and do so by the end of the year. Those kinds of numbers will get immediate attention.

Sock boy and his puppet finance minister have no understanding of what it will take for the average canadian to get ahead and make the ends meet.

BW
There is a difference between inflation and our tax index
Drewski is ranting about inflation and how the poor govt employees wages are falling behind because inflation is climbing
Ya we all know that
Everyone is in the same boat
The problem is, the “simple” solution for govt employees is to just simply get a raise to cover the increase in inflation.
Problem solved
For them
Unfortunately the problem is just passed down to everyone else. Our tax index increases, inflation keeps climbing, but hey at least those govt employees got their raise so they can rest easy while working from the lake, I mean home. Because you know Covid isn’t over yet, it’s not safe to go back
Old 09-26-2022, 01:46 PM

Geez tough crowd. I probably missed some history between some of you.

I didn't read anything into the Goverment/Teacher example other then it was just a job picked to show how bad inflation will be, and that it's highly unlikely any employer will increase wages to keep up to inflation.

Sure extra cost gets passed on to the taxpayer in that example. What do you think happens when oil and gas employees get an increase? The cost is placed on everyone that fills up at the pump, or to taxpayers through goverment programs to help oil and gas.

The list could go on, and on. Nope I don't work for the goverment or oil and gas. I can sure tell you, I don't know any millionaire teachers, and do not want their job for any price. Pension, vacation, sick leave, are all part of compensation, maybe some people should check into that before taking the job they have. If someone else is paying more hourly but less in other perks, weigh the balance and choose what works for you.

The world is harsh place sometimes, and is only going to get worse.

The Turd is well the Turd and that's a huge part of our problem.
Old 09-26-2022, 02:09 PM
Banned

I can’t wrap my head around people that argue about how easy government employees have it and use teachers and nurses as examples. In my life I’ve had office jobs, retail jobs and have worked in the field for O&G projects. My wife has been teaching for 15 years and I can honestly say I’ve never worked as hard as she does with those kids. I usually make a lot more money too.

Yeah I’ve had to work 40 hours straight on big systems migrations. It sucks.

Yeah I’ve spent an hour in the skeevy shower at the Barrhead motor inn trying to get pipe dope and drilling mud out of my hair. It sucks.

I’m telling you I would take either of those over being stuck with 25 screaming germ fountain 6 year olds for 7 hours a day. It’s not even close! I can’t wait for the day she gets fed up and quits, I’m gonna throw her a party.

You want to talk about government spending then figure out why every ministry have 9 levels of management in between the boss and somebody that does something.
Old 09-26-2022, 02:21 PM

^ The hospital where my sister works is currently hiring over 200 nurses because many quit the profession, retired early, etc in the last couple of years. Anyone qualified already employed can choose to work OT for double the pay. Anyone. Any time. Not many pickers though. Only 4 years of schooling to begin with and you are on your way to the easy riches! They may even post your name on the web because you made over $100,000 last year!
Old 09-26-2022, 11:13 PM

Gee Guys!!!!

I am self employed and fight for every dollar I earn. I have NO BENEFITS like a Pension, Short and Long Term Disability, etc.

Its all on my dime.

Do I love Government Employees? Well I am kind of married to one, but the fact is still the same, whether it is the private industry employer or the public sector employer, the Employees will never catch up to inflation.

This is largely by design whether BOC and our Federal and Provincial Government wants to admit it. They want to collapse First World Wages (yes, all G7 Governments are following this recipe card).

Imagine how well off Alberta, and in kind Canada, would be if we allowed multi billion projects like Suncor's 200,000 barrel a day expansion that was aged by the Feds this Spring? Imagine if BC let a Gold Mine Project go ahead after 15 years of delays?

Instead, our Federal Government decides to be the Environmental Champion to the World, even though we contribute less than 2 % to total greenhouse gas emissions.

Drewski
Old 09-27-2022, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Gee Guys!!!!

I am self employed and fight for every dollar I earn. I have NO BENEFITS like a Pension, Short and Long Term Disability, etc.

Its all on my dime.

Do I love Government Employees? Well I am kind of married to one, but the fact is still the same, whether it is the private industry employer or the public sector employer, the Employees will never catch up to inflation.

This is largely by design whether BOC and our Federal and Provincial Government wants to admit it. They want to collapse First World Wages (yes, all G7 Governments are following this recipe card).

Imagine how well off Alberta, and in kind Canada, would be if we allowed multi billion projects like Suncor's 200,000 barrel a day expansion that was aged by the Feds this Spring? Imagine if BC let a Gold Mine Project go ahead after 15 years of delays?

Instead, our Federal Government decides to be the Environmental Champion to the World, even though we contribute less than 2 % to total greenhouse gas emissions.

Drewski
The bold paragraph says it all.

BW