Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-13-2024, 01:47 PM

Default Wolf lake north

Anybody have recent ice conditions for Wolf lake north or any of Lakeland provincial park? Thanks for your help
Brandon
Old 03-17-2024, 12:35 PM

Has anyone been on Gull or Sylvan lately? Was wondering if this warm weather has created any issues. May try going out this week.
Thanks
Old 03-17-2024, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnme View Post
Has anyone been on Gull or Sylvan lately? Was wondering if this warm weather has created any issues. May try going out this week.
Thanks

Going to Gull the last few times has made me sad compared to what it used to be fishing there.

Sylvan had cars driving all over but the ice was a bit softer there.

Lots of ice when I was there on the weekend well over 24”. South side of lake wasn’t bad for snow pack but tons of snow on the east side of the lake.

Cheers and have fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-18-2024, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnme View Post
Thanks
Was out on Sylvan over the weekend. Still 2+ feet of ice, no issue with driving on. The access ramps were a little sloppy/rutted, so you just have to drive carefully. Some guys with plows were kind enough to smooth it out a bit. The cold weather coming this week should easily guarantee no issues for the rest of the season.
Old 03-19-2024, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDFisher View Post
Was out on Sylvan over the weekend. Still 2+ feet of ice, no issue with driving on. The access ramps were a little sloppy/rutted, so you just have to drive carefully. Some guys with plows were kind enough to smooth it out a bit. The cold weather coming this week should easily guarantee no issues for the rest of the season.
Kind of what I thought. Thanks for confirming!

Only thing is that area is forecasted to get quite a bit of snow this week. Could make the first bit interesting.

North of Edmonton it is 100% no snow and cleats again. And no snow forecasted. And ice is super thick (in general).
Old 03-19-2024, 02:17 PM

Default Calling Lake Open Lead west of Ben Auger

There is a heave that has partly collapsed back down about 1 mile west of Ben Auger Park.

Did not get right up to it, but there was blue water, so it is open. You can see a sporadic line of tipped up ice following the break / heave running roughly west to Rock Island River. Some parts looked about 6 foot wide, so it is going to be a problem for anyone who tries to cross it even if it is partly re frozen.

Drewski
Old 03-19-2024, 05:14 PM

I was on Long today. Still almost a full flight's worth of ice but it is rotting fast. The blade cut through in way less time than it took a few weeks ago. The water is dirty and murky and there was a little bit of open water at the ramp.

I walked on but one full size truck drove up the lake and exited near me. The ice didn't make a sound, another sign it's getting rotten. Be careful out there, folks.
Old 03-20-2024, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
Kind of what I thought. Thanks for confirming!

Only thing is that area is forecasted to get quite a bit of snow this week. Could make the first bit interesting.

North of Edmonton it is 100% no snow and cleats again. And no snow forecasted. And ice is super thick (in general).
Definitely coming down at the moment. Sylvan is a pretty popular destination though, almost guaranteed someone will have blazed a trail before you get out. If not, at RR23 you can park above the lake and walk on fairly easily.
Old 03-21-2024, 08:25 AM

Default Carson Lake

Just looking for up dates on Carson lake ice conditions and how the fishing has been these last few weeks in March
Old 03-24-2024, 08:42 AM

Ended my season at Pigeon lake March 23. Ice was over 24 inches . 4 inches of snow and no flood water . Could not drive on the lake via the provincial campgrounds because they are digging up the boat launch rams for repairs . So we ended up pulling our sled out on to the lake . Started catching walleye as soon as we got set up at 2 pm in 21 ft of water , catching one walleye every hour till we got off at 8 pm . Filled our 4 tags . We had that whole side of the lake to our selfs . Could not have asked for better ending than we had .
Old 03-24-2024, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
Ended my season at Pigeon lake March 23. Ice was over 24 inches . 4 inches of snow and no flood water . Could not drive on the lake via the provincial campgrounds because they are digging up the boat launch rams for repairs . So we ended up pulling our sled out on to the lake . Started catching walleye as soon as we got set up at 2 pm in 21 ft of water , catching one walleye every hour till we got off at 8 pm . Filled our 4 tags . We had that whole side of the lake to our selfs . Could not have asked for better ending than we had .
That’s good to hear. Hate to finish off the year getting skunked in less than ideal early spring weather. Now you have some fresh fish to enjoy.
Old 03-25-2024, 01:20 PM

Any ice report updates for Lac St. Anne? Are folks still driving on?