Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-11-2011, 06:40 PM

Default 312 Rant

Went out to try and find a decent spot to take my son tomorrow. We're hoping to get his first deer and I can't go to far from home. I decided to head down to 312 as I also have supplemental antlerless tags, so I would see what the numbers are like down there.

Drove around a little, did a lot of glassing and until about 4:45 saw nothing but a few mulie does. Long story short, I found a herd of whitetail does in a field and went looking for permission. The first house there was nobody home (of course) so I drove to the house at the western end of the property. Again, nobody home. Too bad for me, but we can always go talk to them tomorrow. As I'm getting in my truck, I hear a shot, so I drive back the way I came to where the deer had been. There is a silver Ford Supercrew on the side of the road and a guy stepping out of the drivers side with his rifle. As I drive by, he looks like he's gonna s$%# himself. I pulled over about quarter mile up the road and watched in my rearview.

I figured I shouldn't assume anything, right? After about five minutes his lights come on and he pulls out. He hauls ***** past me doing mach 2 and I can't even see his plate. All you could make out was the blood gushin down his tailgate. So......I am going to assume, he didn't get off his fat a%^% and shot out of his truck and he didn't have permission, which I was trying to get. No way he had time to gut the doe, and was out of there in waaaaayyy too much of a hurry to be legit. ****es me off to no end. This is why I got away from crown land and lease roads.

Sorry for the long rant.
Old 11-11-2011, 06:44 PM

Oh the Rodeo's of 312.Permission is almost impossible, and hunting pressure is insane, everyones either doing 15km/h west or 150km/h east. At least no one died this year !

To bad you didn't get a plate or video
Old 11-11-2011, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottymouth View Post
oh the rodeo's of 312.permission is almost impossible, and hunting pressure is insane, everyones either doing 15km/h west or 150km/h east. At least no one died this year !

yet!!
Old 11-11-2011, 06:57 PM
sheephunter

Hmmm...it's where we do most of our hunting. Rarely see anyone...driving or walking....weird.
Old 11-11-2011, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottymouth View Post
Oh the Rodeo's of 312.Permission is almost impossible, and hunting pressure is insane, everyones either doing 15km/h west or 150km/h east. At least no one died this year !

So far. Fingers Crossed....
Old 11-11-2011, 07:10 PM

Default Why

So the question is

Are they just stupid - desperate -ignorant -- super hungry or just dont get it ?
Old 11-11-2011, 08:23 PM

Here's a little video of 312. And a small sample of happens out there.

Unfortunatley it doesn't show the trucks herding the elk, and the one guy dragging the shooter out of the truck and up the hill to shoot one.The time it took to get the truck stopped and the camera out of the pack and rolling, the best footage, got missed.

There is some language as well, you've been warned!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcrNz4p-Et4
Old 11-11-2011, 10:38 PM

so was this the Rick Guinn outfitter story Walking Buffalo mentioned from last year? what ever happened WB?
Old 11-11-2011, 11:55 PM

Since your seeing the vid, nothing happened. Other than a fellow in the green truck dying of a heart attack in the field a couple of hours later.

Several eye witnesses, complaints, and a dead American....

FYI, this was filmed from the Trans-Canada Highway. A rifle was pointed from beside the truck to the elk which where nose up to the fence by the highway.

It is so Very Fortunate that those elk did not cross the highway, as many people would likely have died in the ensuing bloodbath.
Old 11-12-2011, 08:17 AM

was also in 312 yesterday. Hiked for 6 hours and did not see a single deer. I also did some good sitting and waiting/rattling in perfect spots also. The funny thing is I saw 4 bull moose. On the way home i decided to hit a few of my road hunting spots to try and fill one of my doe tags. As usual, i found a small herd of does but they were literally in the field right across from the land i have permission on. Tried to contact the owner of the field they were in but they were not home. Some other hunters drove up and gave me the recommendation to to shoot one, know one was around. I waited until they left and then chose to to do the right thing. Drive away. It would have been the easiest kill.

I wonder if the other hunters ended up going back and sealing the deal, probably

my question, where is all the deer! And i'm talking areas i go into were no one gets to except usually on horse.
Old 11-12-2011, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkster View Post
my question, where is all the deer! And i'm talking areas i go into were no one gets to except usually on horse.
They are by the roads....
Old 11-12-2011, 01:55 PM

Question for those who have hunted AB for a long time, say 10 years plus:

Has this poor hunter behaviour got worse or do forums like this just allow us to disseminate stories of illegal road hunting, poaching, tresspassing etc?

This type of stuff concerns me in terms of the future of hunting freedoms...
Old 11-12-2011, 02:10 PM

Nothing has changed in 40 years from my observations.
Shots over peoples heads antelope hunting; access without permission; smash and grabs from roads; shots from truck windows; shots across yellow lines; trucks driving past you in walk in fields; knife fights over sheep; antelope wounded and left as soon as a vehicle is spotted; cutting fences; combinations of all of the above; etc., etc., etc. (not the complete list)
1970's onward.

I have also seen very respectful, helpful and skilled hunters. Those stories don't make the news though!
Old 11-13-2011, 11:18 AM

Ha ha that's awesome that you guys posted that elk video on you tube. Don't know the white truck but definetly not the first time that flat bed truck has been caught doing this kind of stuff. Can't believe that guy is still allowed to Guide/Hunt in alberta.
Old 11-13-2011, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKD View Post
I have also seen very respectful, helpful and skilled hunters. Those stories don't make the news though!
That's because the news is by definition, unusual. Lots of good ethical people out there, but a few bad ones seem to make most of the noise.

Guess its up to the rest of us to make sure we don't tolerate the crap.
Old 11-13-2011, 12:12 PM

Seems to be only the elk hunting that goes this way. Watch the same crap out my living room window year in and year out. One guy with permission and forty guys driving back and forth. One thing to remember, your not going to find elk or deer in your permission if you're watching someone elses.
Old 11-25-2011, 02:39 PM

With all the ethical/illegal threads right now, I thought this was worth a bump.

In this case, the green truck chasing elk in the above video link was a guide with an american client. Other tucks with the crew were blocking the elk's escape routes.

Outfitter/guide or recreational hunter, this crap has to stop.
Old 11-25-2011, 02:54 PM

Problem is, not enough F&W officers and not enough charges being laid. If it weren't for trying to get my 14 year old boy his first deer this year, the things I've seen would have made me give up for this season. I know that's a crappy attitude to take, I'm just sick of seeing these azzhats get away with crap while the rest of us follow the rules.
Old 11-25-2011, 05:43 PM
Banned

Thats why I hunt in the bush now. My stands/tents are a minimum 1 mile by quad from the closest road. I hunt field edges til Nov 1, but as soon as the lazy, loser, sometimes drunk, always dumb road hunters show up ( just before legal light Nov 1 lol) I head to the bush lol.
Old 11-26-2011, 07:15 AM
Banned

you thought you could run out to 312 in november and get permission? tough sleddin right there

i get the odd bit of access here and there but mostly to try and get someone their first, and i get bow access in early season much easier if offer to dissappear oct 25th when the elk opens....otherwise almost need to be blood related lol

i'll be taking a kid out from down my street for second try this season for hopefully his second deer....i sure wish crossbows allowed in archery seasons, we would have had lots of fun this season and he would have his deer already no problem and i'm sure he would love to get a bow and practice himself but where, in his basement?, his parents splitting, no one hunts, i practice a bit here and there in summer on very short notice....seems like lots to invest in a 4 kid family he'll spend most time fondling it whereas i'd love to have a one size fits all tool i could take anyone with me bowhunting but thats for another thread...

start in the spring looking for gopher problems in 312, build a relationship, maybe it will turn into november access with a rifle some day?
Old 11-28-2011, 09:56 AM

Wow, good to see that video WB. I havent seen any guiding activity at all this year. As far as F&W officers...there's a officer thats been hanging around daily. im fact i had to call him and ask him to please stop driving a dead end road at last light as he keeps messing up the deer and elk from coming to my side of the field...And he was pretty cool with it and said ok.
Old 11-28-2011, 10:37 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisb View Post
Wow, good to see that video WB. I havent seen any guiding activity at all this year. As far as F&W officers...there's a officer thats been hanging around daily. im fact i had to call him and ask him to please stop driving a dead end road at last light as he keeps messing up the deer and elk from coming to my side of the field...And he was pretty cool with it and said ok.
Well trust me he is guiding in full force again this year. I thought you were not gun hunting???????