Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-22-2011, 08:45 PM

Default tree stands on crown land

just wondering what everyones thoughts are. if you left a tree stand set up on crown land would you be upset if you came across someone sitting in you're stand. i am not referring to a stand that was just set up i mean a stand that you have left there for more than a year, and i am not asking if you woud be upset about them being there when you wanted to hunt that locationit i am simply refering to the use of the stand

if you come across a stand in the middle of nowhere on public land and nobody is around is it bad form to climb up and sit
Old 11-22-2011, 08:52 PM
Banned

IMO if it's a built wood one on crown land then it's fair game but if I come across a store bought one I don't climb up in it. I can think of one area in particular where outfitters have store bought stands that their clients use.
Old 11-22-2011, 09:22 PM

if it's an outfitters stand go for it! Not a fan of outfitters on crown land, they think they own the area they hunt. Been toe to toe with them before, and had them tell me i cant hunt the area! Hello buddy, its crown land! No one tells me i can't hunt public land because an american pays them! Usually if its a fellow hunter i would move no doubt, and not use their stand or disturb their area. But outfitters gave me a bad experience and really don't care if i wreck their hunt or not.

Not saying all outfitters are bad, but the ones i have come across were as@#$^%#. sorry for my rant!!

Sorry for offending anyone.
Old 11-22-2011, 09:28 PM
Banned

I've never had a problem with an outfitter on crown land in the area that I hunt. Then again there's enough land there and if I know that there's someone hunting in a certain area then, outfitter or everyday hunter, I head to another area. You might say that I don't like crowds.
Old 11-23-2011, 08:24 AM
Gone Hunting

I would not climb up to a commercial stand belonging to someone else without their permission. I have had a ladder stand out in the same location for a number of years and seen evidence that other hunters were using it. It didn't bother me except some fellow was smoking cigs while up there and sticking the buts int cracks in the tree bark. They STINK!

If you find an old permanent stand like this:

I would be cautious about its "structural integrity" before using it.

Archery Sept. 1 - Oct. 31 Muzzleloader and Crossbow Oct. 1 - Oct. 31 Rifle Nov. 25 - Nov. 30

...And HIS kingdom shall have no end...
Old 11-23-2011, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by browning375 View Post
if it's an outfitters stand go for it! Not a fan of outfitters on crown land, they think they own the area they hunt. Been toe to toe with them before, and had them tell me i cant hunt the area! Hello buddy, its crown land! No one tells me i can't hunt public land because an american pays them! Usually if its a fellow hunter i would move no doubt, and not use their stand or disturb their area. But outfitters gave me a bad experience and really don't care if i wreck their hunt or not.

Not saying all outfitters are bad, but the ones i have come across were as@#$^%#. sorry for my rant!!

Sorry for offending anyone.
x2
Old 11-23-2011, 02:49 PM

This question always baffles me. If you were walking in the rain (or more aptly, blowing snow) and you saw someone's car unlocked in a parking lot, would you jump in? How about if you were walking a cutline under the same weather? Would it be okay to jump in someone's truck then? I understand that it is public land and that putting a treestand there comes with some risk - mostly that someone will steal it - but why do we think it is okay to use it?

Don't get me wrong. . .I am not saying that someone using a treestand is bad or a jerk, but why is it okay to avail one's self in that scenario?

I have had treestands on Crown land before and had them used. I even walked up one time and a hunter was in it. The discussion was polite and he came out of the stand.

Just my thoughts.

Cheers.
Old 11-23-2011, 05:48 PM
Banned

Why would you do something that could potentially cause a confrontation between the two persons involved? Regardless of whether its been there a week or a year, is storebought or homemade/bushmade, it's somebody elses. Go build/install your own.
Old 11-23-2011, 07:07 PM

I've used other people stands on crown land and on private land.

people have used mine as well.
Old 11-23-2011, 09:15 PM

If it aint my stand i dont use it. plain and simple.

And you better hope i dont catch you sittin in my stand. (all on private land)
Old 11-23-2011, 09:20 PM

I think someone else's stand would have to be in an absolutely perfect place for me to use it; otherwise it may be counterproductive??? Don't know, never really thought about it, but I usually don't have time to spare when I hunt...

I really could care less if someone was to climb into mine. Never really thought about that either...

Don't really care if outfitters are around, come to think of it, never really thought about that either.

Just kinda do my own thing, don't worry about others.

This year me and my old man ran into a couple americans on a semi guided archery hunt this fall, right in the heart of the area we normally hunt. Could have cared less, gave them some advice, told them to stay on it and the effort would pay off. Nope, don't really care what the outfitters are up to.

I don't know maybe it's just my outlook, but the next guy has to close the distance the same as I... you get out of the hunt what you put into it. If a guy thinks sitting in someone elses stand will up his odds (even if it's mine) so be it - each to their own I guess.

On another note; a tree stand is now a reasonable comparison to a pickup??? Crown land, private property or otherwise-I wouldn't consider this a reasonable comparison by any means. haha Rediculous!
You might get away with comparing it to something like a portacan, or a partial home made outhouse, or even a half ass log cabin in the middle of nowhere, but a pickup??? Really lets get serious...
Old 11-23-2011, 09:24 PM

i found a guy sitting in my stand (private land, he didn't have permission), I waved from a distance, walked back to my truck, drove home, returned with my chain saw and cut the tree down before he could get out.

lucky it wasn't a very high stand.

dont get caught in my stands.

A hunter is more than a predator, a hunter is a provider...a caretaker...a leader.
I will never make excuses for who I am... It's the way I was born... I'm a
hunter... A BONE COLLECTOR!!!"
Old 11-23-2011, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermulie View Post
i found a guy sitting in my stand (private land, he didn't have permission), I waved from a distance, walked back to my truck, drove home, returned with my chain saw and cut the tree down before he could get out.

Well my orginal post I tryed to imply a couple suggestions;

1.Honestly, I don't ever intend on using some one elses stand (nor have I), because I don't really think it would be productive (the only time I use my stands is hunting does early season and TRYING for a chance at a buck in the rut)
2.Most importantly who cares?

But... this post made everything come clear to me.
If I build a lean-to style makeshift pooper and outfit it with a custom toilet seat, attach it to a tree, on public property (WHICH THE THREAD ORIGINALLY ASKED ABOUT), and leave it there... look out! If I catch someone on it, hopefully I can fire up my chainsaw, and quickly cut the tree down. Oh ya... try to flag the guy down first.
I'm definately on the bandwagon now; I can see where this thread is headed.
Old 11-24-2011, 05:50 PM
Banned

Quote:

Horsepuckey!
Old 11-27-2011, 08:34 PM

Quote:

I think someone needs a hug
Old 11-27-2011, 10:27 PM

If its a wooden stand on crown land go a head and use it. imo . but please never use a store bought stand on private land, thats just wrong. why? because maybe the guy who put it up was giving the area a rest,or waiting for thr right wind, or maybe he dosen't want someone letting deer know there is a stand there( I had a guy tell me that he was waving at does, because he didnt want to kill them and thought it was no big deal, then the next time the deer comes near the deer would look up there right away), deer dont forget things like that. so it sure wouldn't help the next guy that sits there, also someone went to all the trouble to put it up, why should you just get to use it? Buy you own and hang it where you want, and hunt out of it. plus there is the safty side of it, think about it!
Old 11-27-2011, 10:44 PM

Quote:

Not buying it! Didn't happen!
Old 11-27-2011, 10:55 PM

If you find a permanent stand erected on crown land, it is fair game, just like a cabin illegally built on crown land is.
Old 11-27-2011, 11:13 PM

i hunt private land with a few others who have permission they set up a tripod stand that is as the land owner said is there to use it doesnt belong to the land owner but the owner of the stand doesnt use it very much. If i was sitting in it when he approached i would leave the stand to him after all its his right. I would however be dissappointed cause its overlooking a grain feild that sees a good amount of activity. None the less i would leave or reposition myself
Old 11-28-2011, 09:04 AM

WOW, really!
If it's not ours stay the hell out of it. I would be embarrassed to be found in some else's blind or stand, unlike the person(s) who used one of my blinds several times this fall, evident by the tracks and yellow snow by the door. I relocated two ladders (store bought if that makes a difference) before some else did; it's amazing where some are willing to drive their trucks. I still have one stand out there, planning to use it to hunt wolves. It's a pleasant surprise every time I go to use it and see that it is still there! So far so good I haven't lost any stands or trail cams.