Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-26-2011, 07:16 PM
Banned

Default ISBs super wide whitey

im working on getting pics up, but heres the story. after checking in here this afternoon, i decided i better get down my favorite area to glass from. its a wide open hillside overlooking miles of river valley in each direction. a lot of times when i see a deer its quite a ways off and i have to make a long stalk. not today though.

i first saw him at only 500 yards. i knew i needed to get closer, and for once this buck was in a great place to put a sneak on him. without too much shinfo, i got to within about 150 yards unnoticed. actually i didnt know for sure where he was once i got there but he appeared like a ghost in a small clearing in the thick stuff. he is easy 24 inside, with good mass and long tines. for all the good whitetails i have, i have not taken one with 12 inch tines, or a 20 inch inside. this guy had both. he is only 3 points which normally doesnt get a second look, but i havent shot a deer in two years and darnit i want to!

so i take a step right to get myself in the clear and WHAM!!! i stepped on a patch of ice as i was looking at the deer instead of where i was putting my foot and in an instant im accelerating toward the ground. i twisted to keep my gun from hitting dirt, and in doing so, kinda landed on my face a little. i was a little mad, but unhurt.....and as i lay there i began to giggle.

ok dummy, get up and look to where he used to be. nope! he is looking at something in the other direction. i dont know how he didnt hear the thud....or the bad word that shot outta me on the way down, but he was still there. as i rise to my feet the gun came up simultaneously. level the crosshairs on his shoulder....steady....BOOM!!!

the deer bolts into the weeds and my first thought is aw schit....missed the shoulder hit the chest. now i gotta track him in the thick crap with no snow. i thought it was wierd that i didnt hear the bullet smack, but whatever. as im getting close to where he was standing, i look around and....what the hell?....he's booking it up the hill out of the valley looking very healthy.

i went to where he was standing, and couldnt find anything. i followed the only trail through the bush right to where i saw him going up the hill. no blood, no draggin...nothing.

i called gary for help as the guy is part bloodhound, and after a good half hour of searching it was pretty obvious.......

I MISSED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-26-2011, 08:31 PM

Well maybe next time,too bad about your luck
Old 11-27-2011, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootbambi View Post
im working on getting pics up, but heres the story. after checking in here this afternoon, i decided i better get down my favorite area to glass from. its a wide open hillside overlooking miles of river valley in each direction. a lot of times when i see a deer its quite a ways off and i have to make a long stalk. not today though.

i first saw him at only 500 yards. i knew i needed to get closer, and for once this buck was in a great place to put a sneak on him. without too much shinfo, i got to within about 150 yards unnoticed. actually i didnt know for sure where he was once i got there but he appeared like a ghost in a small clearing in the thick stuff. he is easy 24 inside, with good mass and long tines. for all the good whitetails i have, i have not taken one with 12 inch tines, or a 20 inch inside. this guy had both. he is only 3 points which normally doesnt get a second look, but i havent shot a deer in two years and darnit i want to!

so i take a step right to get myself in the clear and WHAM!!! i stepped on a patch of ice as i was looking at the deer instead of where i was putting my foot and in an instant im accelerating toward the ground. i twisted to keep my gun from hitting dirt, and in doing so, kinda landed on my face a little. i was a little mad, but unhurt.....and as i lay there i began to giggle.

ok dummy, get up and look to where he used to be. nope! he is looking at something in the other direction. i dont know how he didnt hear the thud....or the bad word that shot outta me on the way down, but he was still there. as i rise to my feet the gun came up simultaneously. level the crosshairs on his shoulder....steady....BOOM!!!

the deer bolts into the weeds and my first thought is aw schit....missed the shoulder hit the chest. now i gotta track him in the thick crap with no snow. i thought it was wierd that i didnt hear the bullet smack, but whatever. as im getting close to where he was standing, i look around and....what the hell?....he's booking it up the hill out of the valley looking very healthy.

i went to where he was standing, and couldnt find anything. i followed the only trail through the bush right to where i saw him going up the hill. no blood, no draggin...nothing.

i called gary for help as the guy is part bloodhound, and after a good half hour of searching it was pretty obvious.......

I MISSED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am not neccessarily calling out out here, Dale, but I am interested to see a 210 inch deer ( which you claim to have ) that has a spread of less than 20 inches. And you don't have a buck with 12 in tines? I'm a newer "trophy" hunter and I have a deer with 13 inch G2s - deer only grossed 171.

I can't remember seeing too many of your pics of your trophys, in all your posts. Can you post a pic of your 210?

No disrespect intended.
Old 11-28-2011, 09:25 AM

Pics?
Old 11-28-2011, 09:29 AM

Old 11-28-2011, 01:27 PM
Banned

if i remember right, longest tine was 9 5/8 (left brow) and inside of 19 3/8.

when i shot him i had him in my head at 170s. when i walked up to him i scored him in my head again at 185...didnt see the non typs before i shot. when the numbers came up, i added em again. then i scored him again. in the first hour the shakes were pretty bad, and i had no proper tools, just a carpenter tape and got from 207-214 in 4 different tries. the official sheet was 210 even gross, 202 5/8. i thought i had it on this computer, but apparently not.

Old 11-28-2011, 01:33 PM
Banned

as for the buck in this thread.....this is all i came up with. i have seen him since. he appears to be doing fine....and i didnt get close enought to try again.

Old 11-28-2011, 03:50 PM

Thanks for the reply, Dale. Again, absolutly no disrespect intended. I think you do know your deer!

Even though you thought my awesome trail cam buck needed to grow up.....

Old 11-28-2011, 04:16 PM

Crappy man , its been a year of missing for everone, i missed a 174 with my bow ( trophy boy shot him in rifle season) , i missed an absolute bruiser in northern alberta at 40 yards ( had to twist around , off had shot) , than i dumped a nice buck in sask at 320 yards and hes missing ( broke) a bunch of points..... Now im back in alberta hunting the big boy again , good luck man

U better shoot your gun to make sure your scope is good!
Old 11-28-2011, 07:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoors forever View Post
Even though you thought my awesome trail cam buck needed to grow up.....

some guys take stuff personal sometimes. i seldom mean it that way. no hard feelings.
Old 11-28-2011, 08:07 PM

dale that is a hog of a buck, man i couldnt imagine walking up to something like that,