Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-27-2011, 02:43 PM

Default Nut job shooting up the bush

Saturday morning I went out to my favorite hunting ground which is a section of crown land not far from Edmonton. The morning was very active as I seen 2 nice bucks come in within 40yds of my treestand both were decent 130-150ish but was looking for a brute, also saw 3 does, 3 bull moose and acouple of cows. It was a great day until around 3:50 when all he'll broke loose first I heard a shot in the distance and thought good for him for filling his tag but then bang another shot and another. Five minutes later in a different location the same pattern was heard. This happened for the next hour over and over in different spots throughout the bush. Just as I was getting ready to leave I heard something coming through the bush about 70yds away then bang bang this freakin retard was so close to my location I could see him moving in the bush. Not sure what he was trying to prove but I'm thinking that he lives across the road and doesn't want people hunting this property.
I was so ****ed off that I wanted to shoot a few shots off to scare the crap out of him, but being the better man and decided against it.
Is there any regulations that may be broken by him doing this?

Vegetarian-"native for lousy hunter"
Old 11-27-2011, 03:35 PM
grind stone

Old 11-27-2011, 04:15 PM

Default 3 shot repeated pattern

Sounds like he was lost and signaling for help!
Old 11-27-2011, 04:27 PM

In Alberta it is unlawful to disrupt a legal hunt,Proving that is what he is doing may be a little difficult though.
Old 11-27-2011, 04:28 PM

No it is unfortunate but you can not fix stupid. Most likely fish and wildlife would tell you there is nothing they could do to help you.
Old 11-27-2011, 11:25 PM

next time he does it scream at the top of your lungs like youve been hit start yelling and hollering oh my god you shot me you shot me might make him think twice about taking pot shots into the air
Old 11-28-2011, 01:55 AM

So he was moving around the bush aimlessly firing three shot groups over and over?

Yeah, that's the international signal for distress.....

Did you think to see if he was in distress or lost?

Why do people automatically attribute malice to people's actions?

Why assume the worst of someone without talking to them?
Old 11-28-2011, 05:37 AM

He did it to me too. I was hunting a quarter where I was the only person with permission on Sat. At 3:50 this guy starts shooting in the bush on the adjacent land and fired a shot into the bush every 5 minutes or so, until nearly dark. The night before I believe the same person drove by, saw my truck and peeled into the field/approach and wrote down my license number, I saw it all from the blind.

That night the landowner called me and asked if there was "trouble" over there. Apparently he recieved a call telling him about someone hunting/trespassing on his land. When he explained to the caller that I had permission, the caller hung up. It was the next night that the shooting started next door. I was going to call the warden but my phone was in the truck and I don't have the ID of the idiot doing the shooting. Most of the adjacent lands are posted "no hunting" so I don't believe the neighbors are too hunter friendly and the fellow that I have permission from just bought the land last spring.

If I can somehow tie this person to an address or license plate number, I'm calling the game warden and the cops. I'll be back there an evening or two yet, he's not chasing me away that easy.

Craig
Old 11-28-2011, 07:26 AM
Gone Hunting

That's odd. Yesterday afternoon I was hunting in a section where no one else had permission. The bordering landowner does not allow hunting. About 330 I heard 4 shots from a semi auto, a few seconds later four more. This went on until about 4 every five minutes or so. Some bursts were as many as ten shots.

Weird.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 11-28-2011, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
That's odd. Yesterday afternoon I was hunting in a section where no one else had permission. The bordering landowner does not allow hunting. About 330 I heard 4 shots from a semi auto, a few seconds later four more. This went on until about 4 every five minutes or so. Some bursts were as many as ten shots.

Weird.

Pretty common around here. Somebody got a new SKS and a case of ammo.

Grizz
Old 11-28-2011, 08:09 AM

Smile X's 2

I think Grizz has it right, for some guys, why go to a range to "sight in" when you can do it in the bush.

I'd be surprised if these people have licences for big game.

I don't know if it is legal to be shooting during the season without a legal tag.

Others here will know, but I'll bet that is what is going on.
Old 11-28-2011, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savage shooter View Post
So he was moving around the bush aimlessly firing three shot groups over and over?

Yeah, that's the international signal for distress.....

Did you think to see if he was in distress or lost?

Why do people automatically attribute malice to people's actions?

Why assume the worst of someone without talking to them?
Trust me he was in no distress I seen his footprints walking in from the road. He also did something similar last year but last year he just drove up and down the road and honked his horn until dark. Now this idiot got a gun.

Old 11-28-2011, 08:28 AM

Quote:
I don't know if it is legal to be shooting during the season without a legal tag.
It is perfectly legal to target shoot during an open hunting season, this is Alberta ,not some of the Eastern provinces.
Old 11-28-2011, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by densa44 View Post
I think Grizz has it right, for some guys, why go to a range to "sight in" when you can do it in the bush.

I'd be surprised if these people have licences for big game.

Others here will know, but I'll bet that is what is going on.
He's definately not sighting in his gun. This guy walked straight in off the road blasted off 2 shots. I yelled at him( some choice words ) and he walked off in a hurry without responding. He lives across the road and obviously doesn't want people hunting this property.

Old 11-28-2011, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by handicap View Post
He's definately not sighting in his gun. This guy walked straight in off the road blasted off 2 shots. I yelled at him( some choice words ) and he walked off in a hurry without responding. He lives across the road and obviously doesn't want people hunting this property.
If you were at the north east corner of ministik sanctuary, there is a landowner that operates a B&B and doesnt like anyone on that stretch of road he is on.
Old 11-28-2011, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceedub View Post
He did it to me too. I was hunting a quarter where I was the only person with permission on Sat. At 3:50 this guy starts shooting in the bush on the adjacent land and fired a shot into the bush every 5 minutes or so, until nearly dark. The night before I believe the same person drove by, saw my truck and peeled into the field/approach and wrote down my license number, I saw it all from the blind.

That night the landowner called me and asked if there was "trouble" over there. Apparently he recieved a call telling him about someone hunting/trespassing on his land. When he explained to the caller that I had permission, the caller hung up. It was the next night that the shooting started next door. I was going to call the warden but my phone was in the truck and I don't have the ID of the idiot doing the shooting. Most of the adjacent lands are posted "no hunting" so I don't believe the neighbors are too hunter friendly and the fellow that I have permission from just bought the land last spring.

If I can somehow tie this person to an address or license plate number, I'm calling the game warden and the cops. I'll be back there an evening or two yet, he's not chasing me away that easy.

Craig
Were you at ministik bird sanctuary?
Old 11-28-2011, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckmaster View Post
If you were at the north east corner of ministik sanctuary, there is a landowner that operates a B&B and doesnt like anyone on that stretch of road he is on.
I was hunting a different parcel of land not in the ministik area. Sounds like I'm not the only one having this problem on crown land. This is absolutely brutal behavior.

Old 11-28-2011, 11:49 AM

Default Pot shots

There is a guy who does this out past EIP in 242.
This guy is the only one allowed to "hunt" the land after spreading lies and crap about others who used to hunt.
I hunt the adjacent land and every year I hear 4 shots in a row.
Often on opening day, sometimes at other times in November.
At first I thought the guy was a terrible shot, he probably is. The type of guy who's stuff doesn't stink, the type of guy who would drive into a field even though someone else is there before him, the type of guy who parks across an entrance when he knows someone is hunting the 1/4.
A real dip ****.
Sadly, this guy works for report a poacher or something like that. Even got himself on a commerciall for the "use respect" advertisements.
Somehow, he could never remember me which is virtually impossible, I can't dissapear into a crowd.
I asked him one day how he could ever find his tree stand when he could never remember me.
Always had a dumb look on his head when posed with these questions.
Whatever, any day out in the bush when I don't see him is a great day.
Old 11-28-2011, 01:01 PM

Are you sure he wasnt grouse or rabbit hunting?
I'ts bad etiquite for sure if he knew you were there (dangerous and stupid too). if its the land near antler lake I am thinking of, its pretty obvious when hunters are already in that parcel. I always drive on if I see another vehicle parked there. but I have had idiots come right in behind me and start shooting like crazy, not knowing where I was.
sorry to hear of your bad experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by handicap View Post
Saturday morning I went out to my favorite hunting ground which is a section of crown land not far from Edmonton. The morning was very active as I seen 2 nice bucks come in within 40yds of my treestand both were decent 130-150ish but was looking for a brute, also saw 3 does, 3 bull moose and acouple of cows. It was a great day until around 3:50 when all he'll broke loose first I heard a shot in the distance and thought good for him for filling his tag but then bang another shot and another. Five minutes later in a different location the same pattern was heard. This happened for the next hour over and over in different spots throughout the bush. Just as I was getting ready to leave I heard something coming through the bush about 70yds away then bang bang this freakin retard was so close to my location I could see him moving in the bush. Not sure what he was trying to prove but I'm thinking that he lives across the road and doesn't want people hunting this property.
I was so ****ed off that I wanted to shoot a few shots off to scare the crap out of him, but being the better man and decided against it.
Is there any regulations that may be broken by him doing this?
Old 11-28-2011, 07:01 PM

I've hunted for 35 years, I know that this idiot was not grouse hunting, target shooting or sighting in a rifle. He was trying to scare game, period. The wardens or the police are unlikely able to do anything, I've talked with them already. If I catch him on a road, or walking back to his vehicle I guarantee you that I'll have a chat with him, and that his trigger finger won't be working so well when I'm finished. In any case, I guess that firing off 100 bucks or so of rifle ammo paid off as I'm not wasting the last two days of the season fighting with this idiot.

But, you can bet that he hasn't got rid of me. As soon as deer season is over, I'll be there with varmint calls all winter, only cause the guy doesn't want me there. We'll see how much money he has for ammo.

Craig
Old 11-28-2011, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceedub View Post
I've hunted for 35 years, I know that this idiot was not grouse hunting, target shooting or sighting in a rifle. He was trying to scare game, period. The wardens or the police are unlikely able to do anything, I've talked with them already. If I catch him on a road, or walking back to his vehicle I guarantee you that I'll have a chat with him, and that his trigger finger won't be working so well when I'm finished. In any case, I guess that firing off 100 bucks or so of rifle ammo paid off as I'm not wasting the last two days of the season fighting with this idiot.

But, you can bet that he hasn't got rid of me. As soon as deer season is over, I'll be there with varmint calls all winter, only cause the guy doesn't want me there. We'll see how much money he has for ammo.

Craig
I think I'm going to show up there in the summer with a bunch of buddies and we are going to have a shot gun party. About 500 rounds and some clay pigeons should be able to make a whole day if it. Hopefully I can time it right when numb nuts is having an outdoor BBQ. He will not push me away from this area as I've been hunting this same plot for the past 20yrs.