Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-23-2013, 10:25 AM

Default Non-Restricted Firearms Regulation Question

Quick question for the masses concerning the transport of firearms, as my friend and I are at odds over the exact regulations (though his training was completed in Ontario).

Specifically,

Assuming one hunts until the end of legal light. At the end of legal light, while walking back to the vehicle, the firearm must be unloaded. Does it also have to be encased and locked?

Is there anything in the legislation that specifies that a gun rack in a truck is illegal (ex. in the back window), when the vehicle is occupied (and the firearm is in transport, not storage), assuming the rifle is unloaded and not under the control of an individual without their PAL?

I've read the the Wildlife Act and am starting on the Firearms Act, but haven't found anything that goes towards my friends opinion. My education and reading have lead me to believe that when in transport, the firearm must be unloaded (except under specific circumstances, ex. in a national park) but does not have to be encased or locked. This would include when walking back to a vehicle after legal light.

With respect to gun racks, same idea as above would apply, on the basis that the individual is in the vehicle with the firearm, and that it is unloaded. For example, a gun rack in the back window is legal when the individual is in the truck. But, if the person leaves the vehicle, it is not legal because the gun is visible and should be moved to a non-visible location, locked (if available), and locked in a secure container (ex. trunk) if available.

Thoughts? Other acts to look at? The Migratory Bird Convention Act doesn't have anything pertaining to storage/transport after legal light either. I realize that if questioned by a CO, more questions would be asked if you were walking out of the woods with an unloaded, unlocked, not encased firearms versus a different scenario.
Old 11-23-2013, 10:58 AM

Ontario I do believe has a cockamamie rule about guns being cased outside of legal light.
Alberta has no such rule.

Rear window gun racks are not outlawed, heck you can drive around with your rifle on the dash if you want. Doing so in built up areas may cause you some interactions with members of the local constabulary, but unless some sort of local ordinance is in effect, you'll likely avoid criminal charges, after the storm clouds clear, and your travels are interrupted for a bit.

The rules around transport of non restricted a is very easy.
UNLOADED
It gets a tad more complicated once you leave the vehicle un attended.

There are no absolutes
Old 11-23-2013, 11:24 AM

Everything you posted is correct.

I've been tempted for years to put a rack in my back window. Just to watch idiots pee their pants.

A Daisy Red Rider in the city would be countless hours of entertainment.

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 11-23-2013, 01:17 PM

Not too long ago seeing a truck with a gun rack in the back window was normal nobody looked twice, how times have changed!

When I was in Montana I noticed every second truck had a gun rack just like the old days.
Old 11-24-2013, 08:04 AM

Smile Times have changed!

When I first arrived from Ontario, I was invited to go duck hunting with one of my new Calgary doggy friends. He picked the dog and I up in Silver Springs and told me to load my 870 and hold it up right in the cab of his truck while we headed east to Stobart lake. "In case we see some thing"

The wild west!
Old 11-24-2013, 09:13 PM
Gone Hunting

Default Old times

Back in the day, Alberta allowed you to have ammo in the magazine, with the bolt closed on an empty chamber. This is illegal today and can result in several wildlife plus criminal FA charges.

Be glad our country is run to please the population bump in the middle; the world is a much safer place (not).
Old 11-24-2013, 10:34 PM

Last time I saw a gun rack in a back window of a truck ( here in Calgary ) it had hockey sticks in it .
Old 11-25-2013, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craddosk View Post
With respect to gun racks, same idea as above would apply, on the basis that the individual is in the vehicle with the firearm, and that it is unloaded. For example, a gun rack in the back window is legal when the individual is in the truck. But, if the person leaves the vehicle, it is not legal because the gun is visible and should be moved to a non-visible location, locked (if available), and locked in a secure container (ex. trunk) if available.
It's "unattended" part of this that has always amused me. I'm not sure how the "store out of sight and lock your doors" part of the recommendations can possibly comply with the Storage, Display, Transportation and Handling of Firearms by Individuals Regulations (SOR/98-209). Yet somehow, given that the RCMP tells you to store them in this manner, it seems pretty likely they wouldn't enforce it...
Old 11-25-2013, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craddosk View Post
Quick question for the masses concerning the transport of firearms, as my friend and I are at odds over the exact regulations (though his training was completed in Ontario).

Specifically,

Assuming one hunts until the end of legal light. At the end of legal light, while walking back to the vehicle, the firearm must be unloaded. Does it also have to be encased and locked?

al park) but does not have to be encased or locked. This would include when walking back to a vehicle after legal light.

I don't know where you got that idea from?? ONtario?? We always walk back to camp in the dark with loaded rifles in our hands or on our shoulders.....grizz bears you know.
Old 11-26-2013, 02:05 PM

you can have the firearm in the vehicle unchamber round of course, and when you leave the vehicle it has to be disabled, bolt missing, trigger lock and out of sight. Unchambered round when walking back, I have seen some nice deer walking back. just saying, there is no law here for that.
Old 11-26-2013, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by croat37 View Post
you can have the firearm in the vehicle unchamber round of course, and when you leave the vehicle it has to be disabled, bolt missing, trigger lock and out of sight. Unchambered round when walking back, I have seen some nice deer walking back. just saying, there is no law here for that.
It does not have to be disabled, just out of sight, with the vehicle locked.