Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-08-2015, 11:18 AM

Default 50+ Rainbows in 2 hours!

Video Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Boe4Ac8A__Y

British Columbia Ice Fishing is a great place to get out on the ice for some Rainbow Trout Action. But with so many lakes to try how do you figure out where to catch fish. Watch this video for a few tips on how you can locate winter Rainbow Trout and put yourself into amazing fishing with a few simple tools. This isn't rocket science... it's fish science! The menu for the day was a Gold and Glow Slender spoon tipped with a meal worm or absolutely nothing. Also got to try out my new Deeper Sonar in the ice fishing mode. I'll be making another video featuring the deeper from this day of fishing. Just thought I'd keep it separate since there was so much footage. So I think this is about 15 of the 50 or so rainbows I pull through the ice in the last couple hours of fishing. Moving around pays off! I don't think I've ever had ice fishing like this and never mind for Rainbow trout, insane action. The lake was near Kamloops. Lots of lakes around there to check out with these Pennask or Kamloops rainbows. They fight like there is no tomorrow.

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
https://www.youtube.com/TheFishingDoctorsAdventures
Old 02-08-2015, 12:45 PM

Excellent video Brandon. Looks like a ton of fun. Non-stop action.

Thanks for sharing.
Old 02-08-2015, 01:37 PM

Beautiful color on those bows Brandon, can't beat the action as well!
Looking forward to your post on the deeper sounder, would like to know more about them. I have never seen one like that, very light and mobile compared to conventional. Would like to know costs, and looks like it is a app on your phone? Very interesting!
#1 win the lottery (so I could fish everyday)
#2 & 3 still thinking.....
Old 02-08-2015, 01:46 PM

What was the black thing hooked up to your other rod? Was it working with your cell phone?

Great video looks like a ton of fun.
Old 02-08-2015, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coors04 View Post
What was the black thing hooked up to your other rod? Was it working with your cell phone?

Great video looks like a ton of fun.
Yeah that black thing is a blue tooth fishfinder device called Deeper. I'll put another video together using it that day and some commentary. I'll have to make a good video though cause I still have the factory screen protector on my phone since it's new and it has writing on it. You can see it on their site www.BuyDeeper.com you can just download the app and has many settings from conventionAL screen to flasher or whatever you want. The app is pretty cool as it can store locations, pics, trip details and more.

After a while I just took it off the rod. No interference at all like a transducer hanging on a cable the fish just come right on past iT. So small fits in your pocket as well.

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
Old 02-08-2015, 02:38 PM

Thanks for the info.

I can't believe the things they are coming out with now a days.
Old 02-08-2015, 04:30 PM

haha great vid once again...I just realized my my jaw hurts from unknowingly smiling for over 7 minutes...I also realized my life sux...thx for that chain
Old 02-08-2015, 05:31 PM

Looking forward to the reviews on Deeper. Have been considering getting some sort of device and this looks pretty promising, especially for the price.
Old 02-08-2015, 06:33 PM

Please turn on cc and scroll to 6'10". I promise you will laugh!!!!

Besides that, awesome video Koperski!!
Old 02-08-2015, 08:25 PM
Banned

Great vid. Brandon. From the speed at which you were talking on this one I figure you had a lot of coffee that morning. lol
I too was going to ask about that thing you had attached to your phone.
Congrats on a great day on the ice.
Old 02-08-2015, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntin'fool View Post

I'll have to check that out later since it's not working on my phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
Great vid. Brandon. From the speed at which you were talking on this one I figure you had a lot of coffee that morning. lol
I too was going to ask about that thing you had attached to your phone.
Congrats on a great day on the ice.
Nope, no coffee for me... Just fishergized! Thanks.

Old 02-08-2015, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chain2 View Post
haha great vid once again...I just realized my my jaw hurts from unknowingly smiling for over 7 minutes...I also realized my life sux...thx for that chain
Thanks chain2. Sorry for making you jaw sore!

Old 02-08-2015, 10:27 PM

How do you find the deeper works compared to other Flasher's? Have you used the standard Flasher's before? I feel the deeper is much cheaper then a good flasher but worried it wouldn't work very well seems it was designed more and a fish finder.

Thanks
Old 02-09-2015, 03:12 AM

Quote:
How do you find the deeper works compared to other Flasher's? Have you used the standard Flasher's before? I feel the deeper is much cheaper then a good flasher but worried it wouldn't work very well seems it was designed more and a fish finder.

Thanks
I have a MarCum and compared to that there is a slight delay in signal due to Bluetooth delay apparently. Otherwise I was pretty impressed with it in the flasher mode. Pretty handy, but not on the exact same level as a MarCum. I don't think you can expect that from a wireless device. I'll make a video that shows more about the unit.

Old 02-09-2015, 06:15 AM

Nice video and good day catching for sure.
Old 02-09-2015, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonkop View Post
I have a MarCum and compared to that there is a slight delay in signal due to Bluetooth delay apparently. Otherwise I was pretty impressed with it in the flasher mode. Pretty handy, but not on the exact same level as a MarCum. I don't think you can expect that from a wireless device. I'll make a video that shows more about the unit.

Sounds great thank you very much for all the good info. I understand how a wireless unit wouldn't match the power of a MarCum. I just wanted to make sure the flasher mode was worth buying it for as I can't see myself using it a ton in the summer. But you never know I guess. Anyways thanks again for all the info I look forward to your next video.
Old 02-09-2015, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntin'fool View Post

Ha ha ha. Too funny.

Bobby

Old 02-09-2015, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Sounds great thank you very much for all the good info. I understand how a wireless unit wouldn't match the power of a MarCum. I just wanted to make sure the flasher mode was worth buying it for as I can't see myself using it a ton in the summer. But you never know I guess. Anyways thanks again for all the info I look forward to your next video.
So I used it yesterday at a Pond in Coquitlam and the Deeper seems to be a shore fishermans eyes underwater. I love this thing as a shore angler. Before I even set up I did a fan cast with it and found out where the drop of was and where the lake was deeper. Then I reeled it in slowly and even found where the fish were sitting. Cast out my power bait rig to that location and bam getting bites. Only got bites though no hookups. This really is great. Can't wait to use it more in open water. Will help see what is going on where you are casting too. Especially when you are stuck on shore.

That is pretty funny with the CC, I never knew it did such a terrible job or maybe I can't speak english! I'm lucky people even know what I'm talking about.

Old 02-09-2015, 07:06 PM

Great videos. Its cool seeing east pit lake in there as well.

Can't wait until the Deeper fishfinder has been out for a while and the price drops. Great idea since everyone has a smart phone.
Old 02-11-2015, 07:05 PM

Awesome video... almost makes me want to move to Kamloops Between you and Brian Chan, it's hard not to imagine going that way to fish at some point in my life (a goal for a decade or so down the road in my retirement).

Don't ice fish much myself, but hoping to start to do a bit more of it; I went several times as a kid, so hoping to take my son out as he gets into the teen years. I'm looking at either the Deeper or Fish Hunter for use on a float tube, maybe on a small boat or canoe, and ice fishing from time to time. Both look like they have flasher mode added to their software now.
Old 02-11-2015, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgib01 View Post
Awesome video... almost makes me want to move to Kamloops Between you and Brian Chan, it's hard not to imagine going that way to fish at some point in my life (a goal for a decade or so down the road in my retirement).

Don't ice fish much myself, but hoping to start to do a bit more of it; I went several times as a kid, so hoping to take my son out as he gets into the teen years. I'm looking at either the Deeper or Fish Hunter for use on a float tube, maybe on a small boat or canoe, and ice fishing from time to time. Both look like they have flasher mode added to their software now.
I just looked up Fish Hunter... good deal online $169. Battery life 6-9 hours compared to 4 hours. Seems like that could be a better bang for your buck. I've told Deeper they need better battery life, and they know it could be better. That would be my biggest criticism of the unit, especially if competition is lasting more than twice as long.

Yup I'll be exploring Kamloops more, hundreds of lakes.

Old 02-11-2015, 08:46 PM

Thanks for the great video, what kind of lure he used?
Old 02-11-2015, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Video Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Boe4Ac8A__Y

British Columbia Ice Fishing is a great place to get out on the ice for some Rainbow Trout Action. But with so many lakes to try how do you figure out where to catch fish. Watch this video for a few tips on how you can locate winter Rainbow Trout and put yourself into amazing fishing with a few simple tools. This isn't rocket science... it's fish science! The menu for the day was a Gold and Glow Slender spoon tipped with a meal worm or absolutely nothing. Also got to try out my new Deeper Sonar in the ice fishing mode. I'll be making another video featuring the deeper from this day of fishing. Just thought I'd keep it separate since there was so much footage. So I think this is about 15 of the 50 or so rainbows I pull through the ice in the last couple hours of fishing. Moving around pays off! I don't think I've ever had ice fishing like this and never mind for Rainbow trout, insane action. The lake was near Kamloops. Lots of lakes around there to check out with these Pennask or Kamloops rainbows. They fight like there is no tomorrow.
polar rmk,

Brandon explains exactly what type of lure he used on his initial post, as well as in the video. He also shows how to rig up the meal worm on the hook
#1 win the lottery (so I could fish everyday)
#2 & 3 still thinking.....
Old 02-11-2015, 10:24 PM

Awsome
Old 02-12-2015, 01:16 PM

Quote:
I just looked up Fish Hunter... good deal online $169. Battery life 6-9 hours compared to 4 hours. Seems like that could be a better bang for your buck. I've told Deeper they need better battery life, and they know it could be better. That would be my biggest criticism of the unit, especially if competition is lasting more than twice as long.

Yup I'll be exploring Kamloops more, hundreds of lakes.
To be fair, I believe $169 is the USD price for the Fish Hunter. I think they run closer to $200 north of 49. Deeper were at the Fly Fishing Expo in Calgary... was quite tempted but resisted by convincing myself I need to do more research first. I've yet to see a thorough "unbiased" test of them side by side.
Old 02-12-2015, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgib01 View Post
To be fair, I believe $169 is the USD price for the Fish Hunter. I think they run closer to $200 north of 49. Deeper were at the Fly Fishing Expo in Calgary... was quite tempted but resisted by convincing myself I need to do more research first. I've yet to see a thorough "unbiased" test of them side by side.
Ok, well I can ask the company to send me one to do a comparison and see what they say. Then you'll have your unbiased opinion.

Old 02-13-2015, 11:12 PM

great video!

Tags
british columbia, ice fishing, kamloops, rainbow trout