Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-12-2016, 09:30 AM

Default Boaters license

Can you challenge the test is do you have to take a course on line, can you get your license the same day?
Old 07-12-2016, 09:37 AM

had to do it on line very painful did get my temporary card right after I was done it took about 3 hours
Old 07-12-2016, 09:45 AM

Both my son and I did ours at a sportsman show in town the first year they became law - I think he was 15 years old
Both of us past , no sweat but he was already experienced in reading marker bouys , rules of the water as far as motors versus sail, etc , as we had the river marked and maintained in those yeaurs.
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 07-12-2016 at 12:20 PM.
Old 07-12-2016, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDK71 View Post
had to do it on line very painful did get my temporary card right after I was done it took about 3 hours
Ya agree, my sons took it online within the last year. Painful. Thank God I challenged it years ago
Old 07-12-2016, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crownb View Post
Can you challenge the test is do you have to take a course on line, can you get your license the same day?
I would suggest you read the course info online prior to taking the test. There are a lot of questions regarding navigational markers, which I am not very familiar with. Most of my boating is limited to using my electric motor or gas motors on remote lakes, but I still jumped through the hoops and made my donation. Google boater exam discount codes to save yourself $10.
Old 07-12-2016, 12:18 PM

Yah I dont think I could pass it without doing it online. I have no experience with markers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-12-2016, 03:35 PM

I took it when they first announced you would be needing one in x number of years.

Got a book studied and had to go to the registration office. $35 sit down at the computer and the first 3 questions were on bifurcation buoys Read it but thought when in my life will I ever need to know that. Well missed the first 3 only allowed to miss 7 if I remember and all I was thinking was I am gonna fail and it cost me $35 bucks.

Lucky for me the rest of the 35 or so questions were on subjects I could handle.

Now you can do it on line and it is no where near as stressful as sitting in the registration office behind one of their computers
Old 07-12-2016, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilsledder View Post
Yah I dont think I could pass it without doing it online. I have no experience with markers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Did mine at bass pro don't pay till ya pass, I knew nothing about boating regs, and only got 2 wrong, 12 yr old son did it as I did mine(just for fun) he got 5 wrong..it's all common sense..
Old 07-12-2016, 05:47 PM

buy the study book at bass pro. write the test outside at the door. Its an open book test..you can not fail.
Old 07-12-2016, 06:20 PM

My son just did his from boaterexam.com I think is was 8 chapters you watch each chapter then write a test have to pass the test with a least a 80%(I think) before you can go onto next chapter. You have to take at least 3hrs before you can take the government exam and can take it twice if you fail first time but if you fail second time have to take coarse over for no charge cost just over $50 with tax.
Old 07-13-2016, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba 96 View Post
Did mine at bass pro don't pay till ya pass, I knew nothing about boating regs, and only got 2 wrong, 12 yr old son did it as I did mine(just for fun) he got 5 wrong..it's all common sense..
I was at Bass Pro yesterday and fellow said, you can challenge the exam as many times as you want with the understanding that you have to wait 24 hours to re-write....$63 dollars when you pass.

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 07-13-2016, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graybeard View Post
I was at Bass Pro yesterday and fellow said, you can challenge the exam as many times as you want with the understanding that you have to wait 24 hours to re-write....$63 dollars when you pass.
I did mine right when they were required, at the time you could write it till ya passed and only payed when ya passed..
Old 07-13-2016, 07:49 PM

I still don't have one...just have a rental boat checklist in the fishbox.

Proof of Competency
In Canada, all persons who operate a pleasure craft must carry proof of competency on board if the pleasure craft has any type of motor, including an electric trolling motor, and is used for recreational purposes.

A Pleasure Craft Operator Card that you receive after passing a boating safety course approved by the Department of Transport or…
Proof that you passed a boating safety course in Canada before April 1, 1999, or…
A certificate from the List of Certificates approved by the Department of Transport or…
A completed safety checklist for a rented boat—good only while the boat is rented.

Old 07-17-2016, 07:19 PM

Did mine at boater exam.com last week. WSS and cabelas have $10 off coupons in the store. Cost 43 with tax I have since heard its cheaper at BoatnBob
Old 07-20-2016, 07:32 PM

Wow, it was harder than expected, still passed though, took it at bass pro shops.
Old 07-20-2016, 11:16 PM

Congrats! I found it a bit harder than expected as well. I took online one at better boating about two weeks ago. Just $25. But sort of a cheep one. No video, just text. And now i feel well prepared for ocean trip with my inflatable boat with trolling motor! :-)
Old 07-21-2016, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckShooter View Post
I still don't have one...just have a rental boat checklist in the fishbox.

Proof of Competency
In Canada, all persons who operate a pleasure craft must carry proof of competency on board if the pleasure craft has any type of motor, including an electric trolling motor, and is used for recreational purposes.

A Pleasure Craft Operator Card that you receive after passing a boating safety course approved by the Department of Transport or…
Proof that you passed a boating safety course in Canada before April 1, 1999, or…
A certificate from the List of Certificates approved by the Department of Transport or…
A completed safety checklist for a rented boat—good only while the boat is rented.

Well yes, if you don't own a boat and just rent, no reason to get the license. Rule obviously in place to protect the rental industry. However, if you think about it, who is likely the most inexperienced, dangerous boater on the lake? It's the guy renting who boats once a year. Imagine if you didn't require a driver's license, as long as you were just driving a rental car? LOL