Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-27-2019, 10:09 AM

Thumbs up BC Blinked! Horgan wants a new refinery

It's working! The hypocrites in BC must be feeling the financial strain. Now we need to keep up the pressure until a pipeline agreement is hammered out and signed by all parties.
https://calgarysun.com/pmn/news-pmn/...d-fe50e22eacfd

https://nationalpost.com/pmn/news-pm...premier-horgan

Here is the article for those that do not want to chase the links:
Quote:
An Alberta refinery could help with squeezed gas supply in B.C.: Premier Horgan
LANGFORD, B.C. — British Columbia Premier John Horgan says Alberta may be the best place to boost refining capacity to increase a supply of fuel to the province.

The price of gasoline has been rising in B.C. for the last month and the cost for a litre of gas in Metro Vancouver has been hovering around $1.70.

Horgan says part of the problem is there’s too much demand and not enough supply, but adds that a 30-cent rise in gas prices in the last three months appears to be a result of gouging by oil companies.

The premier says most refineries are close to the source of the product and because Alberta has more expertise, that may be the better location for new refining capacity.

In 2014, B.C. newspaper mogul David Black had proposed a $13-billion oil refinery on B.C.’s northern coast, and Horgan says he encourages Black to bring the plan forward to go through the regulatory and environmental process.
Metro Vancouver drivers pay over 50 cents a litre in taxes to the federal and provincial governments and for carbon and transit taxes. (CHNL)
Probably be a good time to inform BC how much $$ they will have to pony up to pay for the delays and endless headaches they have caused.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 04-27-2019, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Horgan says part of the problem is there’s too much demand and not enough supply, but adds that a 30-cent rise in gas prices in the last three months appears to be a result of gouging by oil companies.
Yea, that's it, gouging by oil companies. It's definitely not taxes, even though the carbon tax was placed on fuel specifically to make it more expensive so people would use less. It's gouging by the evil oil companies.
Old 04-27-2019, 10:17 AM

I was just out there, drove from Calgary to Delta, watched gas prices rise to $1.72 along the way. I hope gas goes to $5.00 for them, after this trip I don't understand how a family can succeed in that province, I paid almost $22.00 for a 6pack of beer.

Problem is with our current regulations building a refinery is next to impossible, right?
Old 04-27-2019, 10:18 AM

Perhaps he's had an epiphany and realized he'd be unemployed following the next election if he stayed on his established course. I'm not sure if it will help in his re-election but at least he's lining up to play some ball rather than blockading everyone from the accessing the bats, balls, and mitts in his leftist tantrum.
Old 04-27-2019, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhad View Post
I was just out there, drove from Calgary to Delta, watched gas prices rise to $1.72 along the way. I hope gas goes to $5.00 for them, after this trip I don't understand how a family can succeed in that province, I paid almost $22.00 for a 6pack of beer.

Problem is with our current regulations building a refinery is next to impossible, right?
We we’re going to do a road trip out to Vancouver, Tofino, Victoria at the end of the month but that got cancelled. I figured out quickly, that a 2 week holiday could cost us upwards to $5-6000. I’ll stay home instead.
Old 04-27-2019, 10:39 AM
Gone Hunting

Fight pipelines and energy industry, get elected, hammer the voters with taxes, realize the exit sign is on and you will pushed out the door, Hug the energy sector, do a 180, on pipelines and refineries and wonder how you got kicked to the curb.

Does this sound familiar?

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 04-27-2019, 10:44 AM

Yeah right, he wants Alberta to build the refineries to send the fuel to BC BUT he still doesn’t want the pipeline to send our oil to bc... and they also are willing to sue our oil companies(including the refinery I would guess) for carbon pollution?! What a lunacy at its best! I would say - not a bloody chance!
Old 04-27-2019, 10:59 AM

Quote:

Not really. Didn't the one in Redwater just get finished?? I seem to remember that it is was also designed to be built onto
Old 04-27-2019, 11:26 AM

Quote:

Let’s get there gas to over 10.00/l for them. Maybe an unforeseen refinery maintenance at the same time as other suppliers to BC have maintenance issues.

BW
Old 04-27-2019, 11:40 AM
Banned

Wait...

You mean you have demand for petroleum byproducts?
Not enough supply?

How is that possible?

Old 04-27-2019, 11:49 AM

What all the lefties don't seem to understand is that that this is just the tip of the iceberg. Carbon tax on gas starts out - oh ,we'll pay a little extra and save the world but as time goes on and the tax on raw material keeps climbing and the shipping costs go higher etc, the end user is always the one who pays. $1.70 liter climbs to $3.00 and then $4.00 etc . The cost of everything goes up ,from bread to sushi. The cost to the fisherman climbs ,the cost to the farmer climbs, logging , tourism? Who is going to travel where they pay more for a tank of gas than a week in a hotel room.What's will it cost to go on a charter fishing boat for a day. When the Feds are done killing off the BC economy like they are doing to Alberta's and those million dollar one room condo's are worth about $30 grand maybe then they will see things from a different perspective.
Old 04-27-2019, 12:03 PM

Lest we forget .. that the vast majority of BC residents are on our side. It's just those lefty idiots that reside around the Lower Mainland that need sorted out.
Lets not spread any ill will to our many allies that reside in the other parts. They are experiencing much the same crap as we are from their Donk Premier.
Old 04-27-2019, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB View Post
Yeah right, he wants Alberta to build the refineries to send the fuel to BC BUT he still doesn’t want the pipeline to send our oil to bc... and they also are willing to sue our oil companies(including the refinery I would guess) for carbon pollution?! What a lunacy at its best!
If you remove, "I'll say/do whatever it takes to get re-elected", the lunacy is difficult to understand.
Old 04-27-2019, 12:35 PM

Supply and demand is another more polite way of saying gouging. Fuel is climbing like crazy everywhere, right away you will hear that a refinery is down, or that they ran out of sulfur and can't make diesel, and prices will sky rocket.
Price the hell out of everything so only the rich can afford to buy it, which makes the super rich even more so.
What a crock.
'We are running short so screw everyone'.

It is amusing that while diesel at the pumps is $1.299/L there are companies and farmers that are buying it at under $.80c.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 04-27-2019, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post
Lest we forget .. that the vast majority of BC residents are on our side. It's just those lefty idiots that reside around the Lower Mainland that need sorted out.
Lets not spread any ill will to our many allies that reside in the other parts. They are experiencing much the same crap as we are from their Donk Premier.
That's the point many miss. Why would anyone want to lose that support. The price going up is putting a ton of pressure on Horgan so keep moving it up. He gets up on TV and complains about it but the vast majority of the province knows that he's responsible for a lot of the gouging going on.
Old 04-27-2019, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Supply and demand is another more polite way of saying gouging. Fuel is climbing like crazy everywhere, right away you will hear that a refinery is down, or that they ran out of sulfur and can't make diesel, and prices will sky rocket.
Price the hell out of everything so only the rich can afford to buy it, which makes the super rich even more so.
What a crock.

It is amusing that while diesel at the pumps is $1.299/L there are companies and farmers that are buying it at under $.80c.
Of course they are gouging, they always have. It's pretty predictable that they raise the prices for any long weekend. Like any business they are merely selling a product and we can chose to buy it or not. If it's too expensive people can take transit, a bike, use a smaller vehicle or drive a EV. In the end they will sell it for as high as they can.
Old 04-27-2019, 01:58 PM

The wife and I have cancelled two trips in the last year to BC and the company I work for ha cancelled a company ski trip in early December and a golf trip this May.
We usually go spend a few weeks in Penticton ever second summer but not this year. We'll be heading to southern Alberta this year for the month of July. It'll be less expensive to spend an entire month in Southern Alberta than two weeks in BC. Not a tough decision at all.
Old 04-27-2019, 02:19 PM
Banned

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesB View Post
Yea, that's it, gouging by oil companies. It's definitely not taxes,
Due to Horgan, Weaver & Pierre's Idiot Child, taxes on a current liter of gasoline (cheap regular) exceeds 58 cents per liter. Just another line of BS from a fellow entirely likely to lose the next visit to the polling booths here.

Quote:
Extremely salient point, and one Alberta's Bitter Ones best be taking heed of. You have a LOT of allies in BC. Incredibly foolish idea to alienate them while they are working on getting shed of the main problems for both of us. Really.

Many of us are in the same boat. I myself am facing the loss of my home, and potential bankruptcy due to political posturing. As a consequence, we more than feel for those in the same position in Alberta. I strongly suggest we build on that, and work towards the betterment of us all.

And cross your fingers that we will soon follow your lead in our next election.
We are indeed working towards that end.

Cheers,
Nog
Old 04-27-2019, 02:23 PM
Banned

Uhhhh guys.. Alberta hasn't done anything to BC that directly caused this. PERHAPS the threat has caused gas prices to rise but we haven't done any thing concrete.

I also agree that the average BC person is on side with Alberta. It's the people in the LML that have the issue along with SOME wack a doodles on Vancouver island.

I say let them build the refinery. They will need even more of our Oil and then when the next fight happens (And it will) we will have even more power. In fact, build 2 or 3 of them .
Old 04-27-2019, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronNoggin View Post
Extremely salient point, and one Alberta's Bitter Ones best be taking heed of. You have a LOT of allies in BC.
I don't follow BC politics that closely, but if that were the case, how did the NDP and Greens get elected in the first place? "Protest vote" similar to Alberta in 2015 and it will swing back next election?
Old 04-27-2019, 02:31 PM
Banned

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
I don't follow BC politics that closely, but if that were the case, how did the NDP and Greens get elected in the first place? "Protest vote" similar to Alberta in 2015 and it will swing back next election?
Most likely outcome.
The "Libs" (actually Socreds in Disguise) had become so obviously corrupt they simply had to go. Thus it became an Any One But style of election (as happens so often in Canada). Since taking the reigns, the coalition has managed to tick off the vast majority of BC'rs. From banning the gizz hunt due to emotional outcries from ENGO's, to ticking off Alberta etc etc they have been a dismal failure in every sense of the word. Our economy is suffering greatly, and a hell of a lot of folks are too as a consequence.

Personally I'd be rather surprised if they don't face the axe next go round.

Mods - Please excuse this little straying into the political climate. Just clarifying what is happening over here, and I will refrain from any further. Thanks

Cheers,
Nog
Old 04-27-2019, 02:41 PM

Horgan gained power because of a coalition with the greens and a minority gov't. He could be unseated tomorrow with a couple of by-elections there.
I'd love to go back to BC and retire there, can't begin to afford living there though. I'd like to go there and do some fishing, maybe some turkey hunting, not happening. I can spend my money elsewhere. What the Greens and NDP are doing to BC is just sad, no different to what the Libs are trying to do across the country though.
Old 04-27-2019, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott h View Post
Not really. Didn't the one in Redwater just get finished?? I seem to remember that it is was also designed to be built onto
You are absolutely correct!! I’ve been curious why Alberta hasn’t built a few more refineries selling raw product is ludicrous especially on the cheap to the US. Make a deal with B.C. to build two more refineries run a pipeline for fuel and two more bitumen lines to tide water. It could easily pay for itself and employ some folk along the way who could surly use the employment. Not to mention all those from across Canada who benefit from working here. Hopefully cooler heads prevail and our economy as a whole comes back around.
Old 04-27-2019, 03:38 PM

My sister paid $1.959/ litre for supreme yesterday in Vancouver. Less than two weeks ago it was $1.789

Just wait till summer holidays start.
Old 04-27-2019, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMX View Post
You are absolutely correct!! I’ve been curious why Alberta hasn’t built a few more refineries selling raw product is ludicrous especially on the cheap to the US. Make a deal with B.C. to build two more refineries run a pipeline for fuel and two more bitumen lines to tide water. It could easily pay for itself and employ some folk along the way who could surly use the employment. Not to mention all those from across Canada who benefit from working here. Hopefully cooler heads prevail and our economy as a whole comes back around.
Same argument could be made for Energy East, drop a couple refineries in NFLD and Montreal, create a tone of jobs, sell premium upgraded product to the South instead of Raw product and buying it back at a premium. Seems so simple.
Old 04-27-2019, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rig-Rat View Post
Same argument could be made for Energy East, drop a couple refineries in NFLD and Montreal, create a tone of jobs, sell premium upgraded product to the South instead of Raw product and buying it back at a premium. Seems so simple.
Of all the pipelines, energy east seems like it would be the biggest bang for the buck. With all the refining capability out east and a steady stream of Canadian oil..... Seems like a match made in heaven
Old 04-27-2019, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott h View Post
Of all the pipelines, energy east seems like it would be the biggest bang for the buck. With all the refining capability out east and a steady stream of Canadian oil..... Seems like a match made in heaven
If only Alberta’s oil was in Quebec
Old 04-27-2019, 06:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
What a crock.

I just had an EPIPHANY !!! Refineries be like a HOLLEY 4BBL a cloud comes over and you have to re-jet
Old 04-27-2019, 06:55 PM

Quote:
BS, the residents of BC elected these clowns, the majority of people voted NDP or green. Let them reap what they sowed.

Thomas Sowell
Old 04-27-2019, 06:56 PM

Refinery for stupid people

Tags
british columbia, pipeline, refinery