Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-24-2022, 06:07 PM

Default Finished the peas...

Last nite. I'm helping a friend combine this fall. Few days off now as nothing else is ready...

Old 08-24-2022, 06:15 PM

How did she bushel out?
Old 08-24-2022, 06:25 PM

Mid 60's....
Old 08-24-2022, 06:41 PM

I’m surprised there isn’t more combining around here. The barley looks dead ripe.
Old 08-24-2022, 06:58 PM

Combining barley right now. 15% moisture. 100 bushels per acre
Old 08-24-2022, 07:37 PM

And I see the neighbors are combining wheat....but it was seeded early compared to most by about 2 weeks.

Old 08-24-2022, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushmaster View Post
Mid 60's....
Nice!
Old 08-24-2022, 09:53 PM

Quote:
And I see the neighbors are combining wheat....but it was seeded early compared to most by about 2 weeks.

It is early for wheat, but been plenty hot.

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 08-24-2022, 10:08 PM

We are combining wheat and swathing canola. Fingers crossed this weather stays.
Old 08-24-2022, 10:23 PM

Quote:
We are hoping to be harvesting wheat next week in the Beaverlodge area. It was seeded almost a week later than usual and will be the earliest we will be combining wheat. Canola will be a couple weeks behind it.

Hopefully we won’t even have to dry anything this year. We dry every bushel every year.
Old 08-24-2022, 10:36 PM

My son in law east of Viking just finished combining a pea crop. Wife and I will be going up to help out with wheat crop in about a week.
Old 08-25-2022, 07:44 AM

Combining canola here. A lot of the wheat is off already.

Haven’t seen any canola swathed, it’s all been straight cut.
Old 08-29-2022, 06:23 PM

Drove from Red Deer to Canmore and back Thursday/Saturday and saw zero combines in the field. Drove about 5 miles today and saw 7 in the field.
Old 08-29-2022, 06:33 PM

Still lots of spraying going on here so its gonna be at least a week before combining hits high gear. There's a plane spraying out here where I live right now....
Old 08-29-2022, 07:06 PM

We baled 90 acres of second cut alfalfa today. Start swathing barley tomorrow. Hopefully a couple days it will be ready to combine.
Old 08-29-2022, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
We baled 90 acres of second cut alfalfa today. Start swathing barley tomorrow. Hopefully a couple days it will be ready to combine.
We don't see swathing before combining much any more. Is it malt barley by chance?

Drewski
Old 08-29-2022, 09:03 PM

Driving back and forth from Lloydminster to Wainwright on the weekend to shoot, lots of canola swathed, some peas combined giving the geese something to feed on, most cereal crops look like they are sprayed and ready to go, however we had 1/2" of rain on Saturday night so it put a halt to everything.

Lots of geese out in the fields in the evening feeding, I'm starting to get the itch, season opens in 3 days.

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 08-30-2022, 10:41 AM

Most of the folk in this area had a bit of a break over the last few days with a few rain storms that came thru on Sat, good portion of the early stuff is off already, think most all of the peas are done, bit of swath on the canola started in the last week. Had a fire apparenly started by a combine, just NE of town, took out about a 1/4section or so of barley, last wk.
Old 08-30-2022, 11:01 AM

Drewski...its mostly straight cut around here now too....but lots of guys want to swath a little....just in case!!

I've been told it was all straight cut back in the early '50's but they got burned by an early winter. Hence the start of swathing, and now trending back to straight cutting.
Old 08-30-2022, 11:55 AM

I chase farm claims all year long, another early start to the harvest due the heat we had. Fields are beginning to be worked everywhere I go. I am being told the crops are good too. Hope with the way the world is, they can make some real good $$$ on their crops this year. It will help offset those crazy increases with input costs. If mother nature gives them a stretch of hot like last year, most will be done their harvest quick.

We call it the silly season at the office and it looks like it is underway. Hoping for good luck and weather to the farmers here with getting your crops off.
Old 08-30-2022, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner View Post
I chase farm claims all year long, another early start to the harvest due the heat we had. Fields are beginning to be worked everywhere I go. I am being told the crops are good too. Hope with the way the world is, they can make some real good $$$ on their crops this year. It will help offset those crazy increases with input costs. If mother nature gives them a stretch of hot like last year, most will be done their harvest quick.

We call it the silly season at the office and it looks like it is underway. Hoping for good luck and weather to the farmers here with getting your crops off.
Amen

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
Old 08-31-2022, 12:06 PM

What is the yields like this year?

Last year around Smoky Lake canola was 30 - 35 bushels an acre. They had some rain and heavy clay soil held the little water that there was a bit better.

That was a considerable drop from the 60 - 70 bushel / an acre from years past, but the price went to $23 a bushel after January and the farmers made out OK after all.

Provost area burned and they were getting 10 - 15 bushels of canola at best last year.

Prices are strong and alot of the farmers did not book as much on futures as they did the year before. So with a little luck and the weather holding good, they should save drying costs and the grade should be very good.

Drewski
Old 09-01-2022, 06:28 AM

Yields vary a lot in this area this year. Mainly due to the fact that we never had any general rains but showers. I live west of town and had about 9 1/2 inches of rain. Some areas east of town not so lucky. I think the peas we did averaged in the mid 60's. When I got out of the combine last night the average in the barley was sitting at 99. And the wheat and canola both look heavy.....
Old 09-01-2022, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Yields vary a lot in this area this year. Mainly due to the fact that we never had any general rains but showers. I live west of town and had about 9 1/2 inches of rain. Some areas east of town not so lucky. I think the peas we did averaged in the mid 60's. When I got out of the combine last night the average in the barley was sitting at 99. And the wheat and canola both look heavy.....
If that means you did good, then that’s good news. I hope it’s a bumper crop for all you guys who put bread on our tables.
Old 09-01-2022, 09:45 AM

Hope you guys make out great with the crop yields! Thanks for what you provide.
I am a 6 year all grain homebrewer and love our 2 row Alberta barley. Maybe I am a magician as I turn it into dandy libations!!!!
Old 09-01-2022, 10:24 AM

Quote:

>>
Not much says Alberta like seeing these big combines in the fields. Heck of a job folks. I admire you all, so much.
Old 09-01-2022, 10:57 PM

Won’t know till the elevator takes their deductions but my buddies wheat ran about 56.5 bu/ac. Canola was sprayed yesterday; so it’s about 10 days out if the weather cooperates. This is the beaverlodge/wembley area.
Old 09-02-2022, 01:04 AM

I’m just reading through this wishing it was my life lol
Old 09-02-2022, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMOA View Post
Won’t know till the elevator takes their deductions but my buddies wheat ran about 56.5 bu/ac. Canola was sprayed yesterday; so it’s about 10 days out if the weather cooperates. This is the beaverlodge/wembley area.
as a non-farmer, what do they spray the canola with? Gly? Is it to kill the canola to make it dry out without having to swath first?
Old 09-02-2022, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoseto View Post
I’m just reading through this wishing it was my life lol
Oh no you don't!!!

The financing of the planting in the spring, the purchase of registered seed, the booking of the fertiliser and herbicides, the race in the spring to plant, the rain dance in June, the sun dance to keep the hail away in July and August, the fear of a grasshopper infestation, constantly watching what the futures are for your crop, worries about rust or club root in your crop, prepping the equipment to be ready to go and then the inevitable breakdowns in the fall, racing to get the crop off, now marketing the crop for the best returns...

And then some Eastern Politician blames you for global warming for using Fertiliser and threatens to remove one of the few tools you control to produce the yields needed to make a reasonable return on investment.

Welcome to dry land farming.

Drewski