Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-20-2022, 01:25 PM

Exclamation Appeal Launched

Bilodeau appealing conviction. Should be interesting to see how the court rules.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...ters-1.6588332

Mr Conservation
Old 09-20-2022, 01:44 PM
Banned

Were all the facts and evidence of the case released? Very unfortunate for sure.
Old 09-20-2022, 04:47 PM

Appeals are pretty well automatic in cases like this.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 09-20-2022, 05:57 PM

With time served he'll be out in 2 years anyway on stat release.
Old 09-20-2022, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FortMac View Post
Were all the facts and evidence of the case released? Very unfortunate for sure.
I always thought the pic of the rifle (Edmonton Journal) in the back seat of the victims truck got very little press. Didn't look like a moose rifle to me.
https://edmontonjournal.com/news/loc...-metis-hunters
Old 09-20-2022, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riden View Post
I always thought the pic of the rifle (Edmonton Journal) in the back seat of the victims truck got very little press. Didn't look like a moose rifle to me.
Looks like a AR 15, usually chambered in .223 cal or 5.56 mm, that’s not a rifle that one goes hunting moose or deer , for coyotes yes
Old 09-20-2022, 06:59 PM

Quote:
And your definition of a moose gun is? If it is one of the now banned guns they can still use them. In any case it was not used in their self defence, if he maybe got ahold of it things might have turned out different.
WDF
Old 09-20-2022, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who Da Fisherman View Post
And your definition of a moose gun is? If it is one of the now banned guns they can still use them. In any case it was not used in their self defence, if he maybe got ahold of it things might have turned out different.
WDF
A non restricted firearm in a suitable moose chambering.

I’m not into black rifles, but I don’t think this meets either.

Regardless……. the point I am making is how was the media so quiet about it at a time when the media was anything but quiet about black rifles.
Old 09-20-2022, 07:13 PM

Quote:
A non restricted firearm in a suitable moose chambering.

I’m not into black rifles, but I don’t think this meets either.

Regardless……. the point I am making is how was the media so quiet about it at a time when the media was anything but quiet about black rifles.
Easy. Because the news was focused on the Metis getting gunned downed!
The gun in the back seat is second fiddle.
WDF
Old 09-20-2022, 07:14 PM

I am i reading this right . the shooter jumps in his truck and chases two hunter that are driving also and he shots both of them dead and only gets 10 years !
Should be 20 years for each person he shot !
Old 09-20-2022, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
I am i reading this right . the shooter jumps in his truck and chases two hunter that are driving also and he shots both of them dead and only gets 10 years !
If he had done it drunk and with a vehicle, he'd probably be out by now.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 09-20-2022, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
No, you’re not reading it right. The guy doing the chasing wasn’t the shooter.

There’s a video on YouTube that caught the whole thing going down.
Old 09-20-2022, 09:08 PM

I am all for Stand Your Ground laws and such. But I mean... You chased these guys down and instigated the entire encounter. Plus appeal for what? He has already got credit for 4.5yrs, all he has to do is be a good little jumpsuit wearer for another year or two and he'll be out. Only 10 years for taking a life... That's effed up, man.
Old 09-20-2022, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Could have been chambered in any number of cartridges, just because it doesn't match YOUR idea of a moose rife doesn't mean it could not be used as one. It could in fact be a bolt action.
But that rifle has nothing to do with the case anyway.......
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 09-20-2022 at 10:13 PM.
Old 09-21-2022, 05:30 AM

Here’s a link to the video of the killing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9w8HdNvaz1o
Old 09-21-2022, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positrac View Post
Here’s a link to the video of the killing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9w8HdNvaz1o
Play stupid games and you win stupid prizes. There was a whole lot of stupid going around on both sides that night. Does that in itself warrant death…of course not. But on a lonely, desolate road late at night four idiots (the one son in the truck could be an innocent) meet up, things are bound to get out of hand…and they surely did in this instance.

The video proves the one son is guilty of murder. He probably wouldn’t have had a chance to shoot the second guy if his shotgun wasn’t unloaded because he would have more than likely been shot himself.
Old 09-21-2022, 06:37 AM

Appeals can go both ways he could end up getting a longer sentence, as for who had what guns is totally irrelevant to what happened
Old 09-21-2022, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
Appeals can go both ways he could end up getting a longer sentence, as for who had what guns is totally irrelevant to what happened
I would agree. Guns don’t appear to be a factor until the one son showed up and started shooting.
Old 09-21-2022, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positrac View Post
I would agree. Guns don’t appear to be a factor until the one son showed up and started shooting.
At the direction of his father
Old 09-21-2022, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
At the direction of his father
Lots of factors at play and I’ve seen just a fraction of what’s played out in the media. The video speaks to what went down at the end of the altercation though and that’s murder no matter how anyone plays it.

It’s stated the dad told his one son to bring a gun, and ultimately that gun was used to kill the two other folks. If he had stated to his son “Grab your pistol and when you arrive shoot those suckers” then he’s a lot more liable then if he said “We need help. Your brother and I think they have firearms so bring a gun to protect yourself in case things go bad.”

I could see how an appeal to the conviction the father got would happen if the judge failed to direct the jury in some way like what is being stated in the media. Whether that appeal is ultimately successful will just have to wait until it has run its course.

If it sounds like I’m picking sides regarding the father I’m not. Too much info at play and I’m not a lawyer.
Old 09-21-2022, 09:14 AM

watch the video a few times
and yes I mean A FEW TIMES

then comment
Old 09-21-2022, 10:28 AM

I watch the video a few times but to be honest I have no idea how to break it down to tell what took place, except two people got shot. I think you would need to be more of an expert to understand what took place.

As much as I believe the right to defend your property and home, I also believe that, that ends at your property line. For me the act of chasing someone down and bring a gun to do so is a no contest of intent.

But I'm no cop or Lawyer, so this is only an opinion.
Old 09-21-2022, 10:57 AM

[QUOTE=Positrac;4560843]Play stupid games and you win stupid prizes. There was a whole lot of stupid going around on both sides that night. Does that in itself warrant death…of course not. But on a lonely, desolate road late at night four idiots (the one son in the truck could be an innocent) meet up, things are bound to get out of hand…and they surely did in this instance.

This sums it up. Plenty of opportunity on both sides to deescalate and if one of the four had used their brain, these four men would be spending this beautiful fall day with their families instead of pushing daisies or rotting in jail.

Gerry Burnie
Old 09-21-2022, 12:15 PM

Our justice system is a joke, can't believe one of the murders could be out in a couple years.
Old 09-21-2022, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
Our justice system is a joke, can't believe one of the murders could be out in a couple years.
There’s where you have it all wrong. There is no “Justice System” all we have is a “Legal System” which is a self perpetuating entity.

Justice is never served in a “Legal System” all that happens is Lawyer’s make money, then they become Judges, or become politicians.

See the self perpetuating part!

There are no absolutes
Old 09-21-2022, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cement Bench View Post
watch the video a few times
and yes I mean A FEW TIMES

then comment
So, what am I missing? Spit it out…
Old 09-21-2022, 09:56 PM

At 1:52 it looks like the guy that was further away from the shooter pulled a shotgun out. Couldn’t see flashes from it though. That was a straight double execution. Like posi said, everyone there that night made really dumb decisions.
Old 09-22-2022, 11:27 AM

From what I've gathered from the video and all the info released on the event/trial, I've noticed that some of the triggers leading up to the altercation were discussed my news/media very little as a contributor to what took place.

-both of the deceased were 2 to 3 times over the legal limit driving in a vehicle with a firearm(s) and outside of the area they were previously subsistence hunting. Regular daylight hunting hours had been over for awhile.

-the deceased pulled into a residence that there was no previous connection to. That day there had been numerous unknown vehicles coming into the yard/property unannounced while the father Roger was away. His family at home was on edge when he got home later in the day.

-When Roger got home and chose to follow the deceased that pulled into his driveway/yard and caught up to them at the T intersection, the younger of the two deceased left his vehicle first and engaged in a physical confrontation with him and his young son while they were both still in Roger's truck.

-When the son Anthony pulled up to the scene, the younger of the two deceased left the altercation he was having with Roger and went straight towards Anthony even with him having a firearm in his hands. What outcome would have transpired if the younger guy had overpowered Anthony?

-When Anthony shot the younger guy, the older guy definitely pulled a firearm off the back seat of the truck and was pointing it at Anthony. There was conflicting info on this but the video pretty clearly shows a firearm in the older deceased hands before Anthony shot him as well.

At the end of the day, many people and families were destroyed and affected by what happened that night. Many bad decisions were made by both sides, some were exhausted by the media and others like above not discussed as much.

My two cents....
Old 09-22-2022, 04:50 PM

Wow that's quite the post 7magtime. Guess you look at things differently than most.

Tommy
Old 09-22-2022, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
Wow that's quite the post 7magtime. Guess you look at things differently than most.

Tommy
That’s pretty much what I’ve read and the video of the altercation is no different.

Running pretty much sealed their fate. Could have been a different trial if they had called the authorities as soon as the shooting ended.