Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-21-2022, 08:47 PM
Banned

Default ‘72 Summit Series

Watching the CBC documentary on the ‘72 Summit Series. 50 years ago I was a young fella watching every game with my dad. Neither of us were big hockey fans, but there was pride for our National Team. So much so the school would put the games televised from Russia, on the TV’s in classrooms. If you were old enough to walk, you were old enough to watch the games. It was good hockey.
Old 09-21-2022, 09:11 PM

I remember the teacher rolled the tv into the classroom for us to watch. Exciting times.
Old 09-21-2022, 10:04 PM

Yep, watched it at school, grade 5, IIRC,

TBark
Old 09-22-2022, 07:20 PM

I really enjoyed the first episode. They have some really cool behind the scenes footage that I am sure I have not seen before. It has been beaten like a dead horse but that series was the best thing to happen to Canadian hockey. Seeing the lads before the series being a bit cocky showed we had become complacent. But seeing them gut it out back in the USSR coming from behind showed some real gusto! Looking forward to the next one!
Old 09-23-2022, 07:30 AM

In one modern interview, Dryden talked about how work stopped, school stopped. He might have just been talking about the final game. It was morning in Alberta. The population of Canada at the time was 22 million. 16 million people tuned in. That stat is absolutely amazing.
Old 09-23-2022, 11:29 AM

I also remember watching the the last game in the school auditorium I was in grade six looking forward to watching this series after hunting season
Old 09-23-2022, 09:47 PM

Amazing how there always seems to be one event in everyone’s primary education that you remember for the rest of your life! For me it was 9/11. Always remember walking into chem 30 and then classes being cancelled 2 hours later for a general assembly. For my father it was the assassination of JFK. I hate to think what it will be for my kids and only hope it’s as innocent as a hockey game! The world has gone crazy!
Old 09-24-2022, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
Amazing how there always seems to be one event in everyone’s primary education that you remember for the rest of your life! For me it was 9/11. Always remember walking into chem 30 and then classes being cancelled 2 hours later for a general assembly. For my father it was the assassination of JFK. I hate to think what it will be for my kids and only hope it’s as innocent as a hockey game! The world has gone crazy!
For me or was the celebrations in 67. As a young boy, I came away with a sense of pride being a Canadian.
Old 09-24-2022, 10:36 PM

Esposito falling down & of course the Paul Henderson call!!!!

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King